Matching Motor/ESC/Battery combo to Swappable advice

rightcoastbias

Hello,

My skill level is experience with a Zagi 400x Delta. Thus, I am comfortable with "bank and yank" and orienting myself.

I have decided to build some swappables. Out of sheer excitment I have built:
-two power pods
-an Old Fogey
-a FT Delta

I currently have the following components in a power pod:
-Suppo 2208-12 1800KV
-GWS EP-6050 [6" diameter x 5" pitch]
-20A Hobbyking RedBrick ESC
-3S 1500mAh Generic LiPo
-Turnigy 8 channel Rx [receiving from my Turnigy 9x]

Before I try to put a bad combo into the ground:
What swappable would cater to my powerpod combo? [ I have no problem building another model. ]
Is the 3S 1500mAh too large for most swappables? Will I have horrible high stall speeds?

Thanks a ton.

PS: I have a batch of nano-tecs on order [a 3S 500mAh, two 3S 850mAh and a 3S 1000mAh.]

rightcoastbias

Well, I put the following on a FT Delta and it flew very poorly.

-Suppo 2208-12 1800KV
-3S 1500mAh Generic LiPo

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
When you say poorly, explain. Was it sluggish to start? Had a hard time getting up to speed?

The 1800 KV motor was likely a little slow for a 6x5 prop. It would probably have had almost no initial power. Once it got flying it might have done well, unless you slowed down, then tried to give it throttle quick again.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Oh good lord..... I thought it was the moon in the sky then I realized its your head after reading my post

rightcoastbias

Thanks Monkey, you nailed it! I'm new to brushless so I thought I was being "safe" by under proping it.

The FT Delta got off the ground at 3/4 throttle then gained ~10 ft altitude. Then I cut back on the throttle to cruise and it fell like a rock with a little bit of tipstall.

To make matters worse, I set the 1500mAh at the position "stock" position of the lighter 500mAh, which set my CG way forward. The FT Delta build instruction pdf's on the main site do not have a proper CG indicated but the forum thread pdf's do.

I'll be moving the battery to attain this CG and keep the revs up.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I like my cg set so that at zero trim on my controls, that my plane will glide with a slight nose down attitude.

rightcoastbias

Well, I left the throttle high and got to fly the twitchy FT Delta. Its not bad, but I'll stick to my 10 year old Zagi for Delta Wing flying.
photo.JPG

970741_10151710742328140_1774806723_n.jpg
I finished up the FT Old Fogey. The real challenge Old Fogey were the long control rods. I used bamboo skewers with welding wire at either end to make the long runs.

I flew the FT Old Fogey with the following and it flew fantastic. The Old Fogey absolutely floats through the air.
-Suppo 2208-12 1800KV
-3S 850mAh Nanotech

rightcoastbias

As a testament to how accessible these swappables make flying, my dad flew the Old Fogey at the park today. With no experience flying he had it in the air for ~10 minutes of fantastic flying.

426681_10151731798718140_1398598741_n.jpg
Knocking the sticks
270106_10151731705878140_521919724_n.jpg
Old Fogey coming in for a graceful landing.

crash bandicoot

I use a similar setup, with a 1300 mah battery, or a 1000 mah battery. I am a huge fan fo the FT Flyer. If you use a 1000 mah or your 1500 with the proper balance, it will fly like a fogey on steroids. I can do flips rolls, just about anything with it. Make sure you glue the dihedral wing joint well though. One my second Flyer I did not, and when I started banking hard it would start to give. Also, a 20" nutball will fly ok with your setup as well. But not as well as an FT Flyer.