mCP X is too much fun!!!!

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
I have a couple of beautiful GAUI H200's on the bench to build (1 BeastX FBL, 1 Flybared, and a Flybared EP100 ), these were going to be my trainer helos, but ever since this little heli was released, I have not touched them. I have been flying, upgrading, crashing, modifying, and converting my mCP X's (I have two BL), so much that I have not had time for GAUI's. I guess it makes more sense to practice with these, than the more expensive ones.

Let's hear about how you "love" your mCP X!

Flying Koala

I also have one of these.

Flies quite nicely straight from the box but it has severe issues with its tail. My mCPx rotates 90 degrees when flipping it upside down from tail side.

It is a very good chopper to practice basic (and also more advanced) flying if you want to get away from simulator. With stock parts the crashes are quite cheap (if you compare the cost in bigger helis). I've upgraded most of the parts in the head and I think it flies nicer now.

Very good heli but I wouldn't recommend it if you haven't flown a coaxial or FP heli before.

RCLEE

Love mine. Did the tail mod to give it more authority. My main motor seems to be dying, so that will need replacing soon. But i'm convinced this has saved me a fortune. I learnt inverted flying with this and jumped straight onto my 600 and did the same. Would never have tried it on my 600 so soon otherwise.
Dont expect powerful 3D, but as a real life simulator for intermediate pilots, its unbeatable.
Lee

dezent

Korv
I have a friend with mcpx, he was disapointed about performance until he got turnigy nano lipos
they make difference

NickRehm

Flew a friends once or twice and it's a pretty cool little heli.. The tail hold in punches was better than I expected for a direct driven tail rotor. One thing I didn't like was how it would start drifting and pick up speed and was hard to recover (in the small space I was flying in anyway)

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
Flew a friends once or twice and it's a pretty cool little heli.. The tail hold in punches was better than I expected for a direct driven tail rotor. One thing I didn't like was how it would start drifting and pick up speed and was hard to recover (in the small space I was flying in anyway)

Yeah, I have found that at this size, all helos are more drifty/twitchy. But once you really get comfy behind the sticks of a bird this small, and quick, you can pretty much dominate any heli of a larger size.

This thing is sick with the right brushless set-up, not that it is necessary to modify from stock and still have a great heli. But it's awesome that you can expand upon an already great flyer if you so desire (or grow out of its tamer stock form).

Or, maybe your just like me and have to MOD everything you get your hands on.

Here is a video of a friend, flying the One Way Bearing MOD I did a while back. I'm waiting on a New Titanium after market main shaft, to reinstall mine, but I sent one off to him because he has a similar BL set-up, and can test it properly (he can fly a lot better than me).

Last edited:

NickRehm

Oh yea, punches seem a lot better with the brushless setup. Did you have to do anything to the stock tail motor to keep it from washing out in flips, etc.?

I don't think the drifting problem was the helis fault... I think I just got so comfortable with the stability that I completely zoned out while flying lol
I wish I had the money to pick one up... I'd be way more comfortable practicing tricks like flips on it than my 450

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Does the tail boom extension mod hold the tail much better? Or does it still let go during flips.

I've been flying mine right way up in the front yard. Waiting until flying over grass before flipping.

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
Oh yea, punches seem a lot better with the brushless setup. Did you have to do anything to the stock tail motor to keep it from washing out in flips, etc.?

We use 120SR tails on our Brushless set-ups. Tail blow out (TBO) is a thing of the past, and so is the need for Collective Management (although, it is a necessary skill to develop).

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
Does the tail boom extension mod hold the tail much better? Or does it still let go during flips.

With the stock set-up, manipulating the length of the tailboom is a way of mechanically adjusting the Yaw Gyros gain, as there is no POT (Potentiometer) on the control board. With the Brushless main, and 120SR tail motors, you pretty much just want to make sure that your Tail rotor is clear of the Main rotors propwash.

NickRehm

We use 120SR tails on our Brushless set-ups. Tail blow out (TBO) is a thing of the past, and so is the need for Collective Management (although, it is a necessary skill to develop).
Oh wow, never knew you could do that! The 120sr tail motor is pretty big though... maybe 4-5 grams. How much more weight do you add by going brushless?

glydr

How many letters do we ge
With the stock set-up, manipulating the length of the tailboom is a way of mechanically adjusting the Yaw Gyros gain, as there is no POT (Potentiometer) on the control board. With the Brushless main, and 120SR tail motors, you pretty much just want to make sure that your Tail rotor is clear of the Main rotors propwash.

Thanks!

This customer would have been awarded a credit for his answer.

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
Oh wow, never knew you could do that! The 120sr tail motor is pretty big though... maybe 4-5 grams. How much more weight do you add by going brushless?

I have not weighed my helos in a long time (there is very little stock heli left to them). But I have never been one of those "Heli on a Diet" types, if I think it looks good, and still flys well, I will keep stacking it on there. With a Brushless mCP-X the amount of thrust you gain, more than compensates for the weight penalty. However the flight times can decrease, so to remedy that we have started running 120SR batteries as well (5-6 min. flights depending on your component choices).

I did fail to mention that the tailrotor blades are from a Walkera 4#3/4g3, they don't flex like the 120SR blades, and come in an assortment of accent colors (*BLING*). :cool:

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
Just thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my mCP X projects past ,and present.

2011-08-20_03-20-07_718.jpg

2011-09-01_20-54-33_461.jpg

2011-09-01_20-28-56_303.jpg

2011-09-01_19-39-13_937.jpg

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
I wish i had money to buy a mCPX, but oh well :p, how much did the white mCPX cost? looks like it has a lot more carbon fiber than the stock one xD.