Me -163 Komet - Rocket Plane - 6S Madness

Zephyr1

Elite member
The Me 163 Komet is one of my favorite airplanes of WWII, it held the airspeed record until Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier. So the name of the game with this project is speed, and lots of it.

Komet1.jpeg

WINGSPAN: 32in
MOTOR: 1700kv
ESC: 30A
BATTERY: 1100mAh 6S

While my power setup is the most powerful I could stick in the plane, I’ve also tried a standard F pack motor and the plane flies beautifully with it. The lower wingloading with the F pack setup also means that it glides much more scale. With 6S, it glides like a brick.

Yes, I have tried sticking a rocket motor in this plane. It was awesome. My only issue so far with that has been rigging the igniter. I used two wires and a servo, but if anyone knows of a better way, please let me know.

These are the majority of the plans that I have now, however, I will be uploading another page of plans which will detail the outside coverings on the Komet. I don’t have them initially, because I just traced and cut to fit the pieces.

(Yes, I do have video and some build pics, I will upload them shortly.

Komet2.jpeg

Attachments

• ME-163 Komet Tiled.pdf
    445.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ME-163 Komet Full.pdf
    387.8 KB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Very nice! Thoughts on an EDF version? And where should the CG be. I didn't see them on the plans.

Zephyr1

Elite member
I think there's the Freewing Lippish P.15 which does more with the EDF version. I'm not really sure how an EDF version would work, to be honest.

CG is a good question, it's about an inch and a half past the leading edge of the wing, right under the spar. I'll go pack and edit the plans with that on there, thanks. Though I do usually end up flying a little nose heavy lol.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
The Me 163 Komet is one of my favorite airplanes of WWII, it held the airspeed record until Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier. So the name of the game with this project is speed, and lots of it.

View attachment 118526

WINGSPAN: 32in
MOTOR: 1700kv
ESC: 30A
BATTERY: 1100mAh 6S

While my power setup is the most powerful I could stick in the plane, I’ve also tried a standard F pack motor and the plane flies beautifully with it. The lower wingloading with the F pack setup also means that it glides much more scale. With 6S, it glides like a brick.

Yes, I have tried sticking a rocket motor in this plane. It was awesome. My only issue so far with that has been rigging the igniter. I used two wires and a servo, but if anyone knows of a better way, please let me know.

These are the majority of the plans that I have now, however, I will be uploading another page of plans which will detail the outside coverings on the Komet. I don’t have them initially, because I just traced and cut to fit the pieces.

(Yes, I do have video and some build pics, I will upload them shortly.

View attachment 118527
Ask, and you shall receive ........ Radio controlled switch

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Did you take inspiration for this from any specific Me 163? Either way, it's gorgeous.

Thanks Zephyr! Mostly pics from the Me 163 at the Luftwaffenmuseum Berlin-Gatow. I like their "Baron Von Munchausen" logo. Oddly enough it is one of the few publicly displayed items that still has a swastika on it. Thanks for making this!

1542430956099.png

Last edited:

jfaleo1

Well I glued it up tonight. I needed to do something, My dog is at the vet's tonight and it is touch and go so.....
Its a little rough but square and straight. Doubt I get to fly tomorrow between my pup and bad weather coming in.

Zephyr1

Elite member
Well I glued it up tonight. I needed to do something, My dog is at the vet's tonight and it is touch and go so.....
Its a little rough but square and straight. Doubt I get to fly tomorrow between my pup and bad weather coming in.

That’s a shame about your dog and the bad weather.

How’d the build go?? What’re you gonna power it with? How were the plans to use?

jfaleo1

That’s a shame about your dog and the bad weather.

How’d the build go?? What’re you gonna power it with? How were the plans to use?

Well I am using an F pack setup, plans were not bad either I made a couple measuring/assembly errors or there are some minor discrepancies in the plans, upper turtledeck parts are a little wider than the fuselage and wing slot is not quite the right shape but nothing insurmountable. also some of my issues may have come from using two kinds of foam board (Ross, and Adams). Overall it came out OK and I think it will fly well. Thanks for plans I was going to work on one myself and this saved me the trouble.
080CBFD7-81A9-41A0-A356-10F0111D905B.jpeg

Last edited:

jfaleo1

I think I am going to cut in a rudder before I fly this. I never have liked the lack of yaw control especially on flying wings. Add to that I have read "Rocket Fighter" by Mano Ziegler (awesome first hand account by one of the pilots, not from the political point of view just a very good story of pilots and airplanes at the end of the war) several times, and the ability to slip and slow down to land was pointed out a lot.
Until the my 12 year old puppy recovers and I can get out to fly I am just staring at it all right now.

Zephyr1

Elite member
Wow! It looks amazing! I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see someone else build one of my designs, thank you.

I considered adding a rudder, I did with the Viggen, and I think that'll be an awesome idea. You'll have to let us know how it goes. Looks great!

jfaleo1

Well I am at the vet picking up the pup so that’s one less worry. Still need weather to cooperate but really looking forward to flying the Komet. Need to put something on the top to help keep top and bottom straight.

Zephyr1

Elite member
Komet2.JPG
Komet.JPG

Yeah, I added a piece to keep the canopy on the fuse. I also cut a hole into the wing to place the battery into. I did this so that the CG of the plane would be below the wing, making it more stable and this prevents the plane from flipping over on landing. I highly recommend, though I need to further reinforce my wing, due to the whole in the middle of it lol.

Awesome about your pup!

Rasterize

Mentor
Spent some time on the 163 tonight. Snipping tool grab out of Illustrator. The basics of the fuse are in place. Needs more detail. I did modify the plans slightly. Have not forgotten. Hope I can add a few more hours on this here and there now that the holidays are behind us. Anybody thinking a Monster 185% ME163 after the recent FT video on the monter Sportster/thick foam? With Monster skins of course!

1547019013020.png

Zephyr1

Elite member
Spent some time on the 163 tonight. Snipping tool grab out of Illustrator. The basics of the fuse are in place. Needs more detail. I did modify the plans slightly. Have not forgotten. Hope I can add a few more hours on this here and there now that the holidays are behind us. Anybody thinking a Monster 185% ME163 after the recent FT video on the monter Sportster/thick foam? With Monster skins of course!

That looks amazing! I think a monster sized 163 would be a phenomenal idea, it would actually have the glide characteristics of the real one! Currently, with all the electronics, it's more than a little heavy. This is phenomenal!

Rasterize

Mentor
Woke up this morning and my laptop had restarted overnight. All apps were off. All the work that I did yesterday on the fuse that I thought I had saved was lost. Spent part of the day catching up, making changes and adding detail. Oh well. Them's the breaks.