Me -163 Komet - Rocket Plane - 6S Madness

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
And we're back! Tail fin fun and new fuse.
1547092611536.png

1547105621865.png

Last edited:

Zephyr1

Elite member
I’ve made a cover page for the Komet with all the calculations. Additionally, I’ve made a knew one and I modified it to include a rocket mount!
BD48E69C-81EC-402C-8824-F11A13F460F5.jpeg

Last edited:

Rasterize

Mentor
Hi Rastrize, Could you post the PDF for this fantastic Skin, please?
Thank you so much!

Hi Daniel! I eventually will make it available. Unfortunately I have been unable to find the time to do the test or proof build and make corrections. There are always corrections don't you know. Nothing like looking at cool printed sheets of skins you just spent ink or money getting printed only to be disappointed when you build it and things don't line up very well or some graphic just fell off!

Daniel Liutan

Hi Daniel! I eventually will make it available. Unfortunately I have been unable to find the time to do the test or proof build and make corrections. There are always corrections don't you know. Nothing like looking at cool printed sheets of skins you just spent ink or money getting printed only to be disappointed when you build it and things don't line up very well or some graphic just fell off!

Thanks for the explanation!
I know a new design would cost tremendous time and efforts. I thought you already finished the design. I will wait(y)

Rasterize

Mentor
So I'm back at the ME163. I have been playing with the fuse. I rotated the fuse sides so they line up with the front of the middle section (red lines) then I attached the upper rear fuse section (blue line) to the side of the fuse. They are now all one piece. I hope this will make for easier alignment. What do you think?

Also do you think I can get this to fly (maybe not well) with a 2205?

fuse.jpg

OliverW

Legendary member
So I'm back at the ME163. I have been playing with the fuse. I rotated the fuse sides so they line up with the front of the middle section (red lines) then I attached the upper rear fuse section (blue line) to the side of the fuse. They are now all one piece. I hope this will make for easier alignment. What do you think?

View attachment 145618
If it is the red bottom, you should be fine as it puts out over 1,000 grams of thrust on 3s with a 6x4 prop!

Zephyr1

Elite member

View attachment 145618

I love it! That's going to be much stronger and better for the fuse, to have the top joined like that. Yeah, it will take a 2205 without any issue. Only thing to remember is to give the elevons some uptrim. Looks amazing man.

Zephyr1

Elite member
As well, I scaled up the Komet 150% so I could put a 2300KV 28-36. I also 3D printed a rocket engine mount for the tail that is compatible for D-E rocket engines. The initial flights were very promising and I will be attempting a large rocket assist this weekend (wether permitting). And yeah, I was running out of the good foambard lol.
IMG_9825.JPG
IMG_9824.JPG

L Edge

Master member
As well, I scaled up the Komet 150% so I could put a 2300KV 28-36. I also 3D printed a rocket engine mount for the tail that is compatible for D-E rocket engines. The initial flights were very promising and I will be attempting a large rocket assist this weekend (wether permitting). And yeah, I was running out of the good foambard lol.
View attachment 145637 View attachment 145638

Did you purchase the D-12-0 rockets and how are you launching it? How are you igniting it?

If you launch with a D, you should get up to about 400ft vertical. If you are trying to control it when going up, you should set a low rate of control and have a normal rate for gliding.

Zephyr1

Elite member
Did you purchase the D-12-0 rockets and how are you launching it? How are you igniting it?

If you launch with a D, you should get up to about 400ft vertical. If you are trying to control it when going up, you should set a low rate of control and have a normal rate for gliding.

How are you able to predict the height without knowing the aircraft weight? I bought regular D rockets from Hobby Lobby and removed the ejection charge. I'm igniting it with a servo connected to a 3S battery. It's super basic but it should work fine.

jfaleo1

Yes! This will be so much better on wing loading. I love the original one but with the battery weight of the 4S and the relatively draggy fuselage it is not a glider and I can't reduce power very often. I have to admit I did not build it light but, and I may build another small one to see if I can reduce the weight and get better performance, but the large size is more to my liking, can't wait to see plans for this. If I was more skilled at drawing up the plans myself I would have already been working on this. Looks great! Rockets aren't my thing but this should be really cool!
What prop and battery are you using on it?

Rasterize

Mentor
Blew it up to 150%. (like you can tell) Incorporated the upper fuse section into the sides of the fuse. Fuse top will be seperate.
1571347256112.png

Think a FT C pack Radial now?

Zephyr1

Elite member
*facepalm*
This is so infinitely better, why didn't I think of this sooner??! Just wow. Word to the wise though, scale it closer to 145% or close to that so the fuse is only 30in long. I made the mistake and had like half an inch shaved off the tail. But wow, I'm so impressed with the better fuse.