ME-262 Scratch Build

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Back at the build table tonight, just thought I would post a couple of pics to show where I'm starting at tonight. Got the canopy coming along well, just a bit more shaping to do there. Tail feathers are in and straight. Time to start installing some gear and get closer to putting a skin on that fuse.
IMG_20210726_201222545.jpg
IMG_20210726_201206757.jpg
IMG_20210726_201137316.jpg
IMG_20210726_201123463.jpg

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
First skins are on, wheel covers are on, all servos, pushrods and control horns installed and centered. Hoping to wrap this one up in the next few days along with a couple other builds. Fuse skins so far look pretty good, pretty smooth . Should look a lot different by next post.

IMG_20210802_213539779.jpg
IMG_20210802_213551769.jpg
IMG_20210802_213532722.jpg

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Early start tonight, And I've been questioning the whole EDF thing, or at least second guessing myself. EDFs - short flight, maybe can't take off as well, and they are heavy. Emax 2205 RS - longer flights, ground launch easier for plane, much lighter power plants. Any opinions? I'll do a weight check after these last two skins as everything is pretty much installed except motors and ESCs and I think I'll be able to decide which way is best
IMG_20210803_180555697.jpg

Hondo76251

Legendary member
*he asks tentatively as black bart lies in anguish in the background *
😁

In all seriousness, im not the one to ask when it comes to edf's, though i have my own project waiting on the back burner for some time.
As nice as that plane looks, id avoid the hassle myself. Looks like she'll be heavy and fast, if she flies at all edf. Not that it cant be done, but i doubt it will be pleasure to fly... imho

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
*he asks tentatively as black bart lies in anguish in the background *
😁

In all seriousness, im not the one to ask when it comes to edf's, though i have my own project waiting on the back burner for some time.
As nice as that plane looks, id avoid the hassle myself. Looks like she'll be heavy and fast, if she flies at all edf. Not that it cant be done, but i doubt it will be pleasure to fly... imho
Ahhhh... the voice of reason. So here are the specs on my EDF's. So I weighed my Grifllyer L-39 and it comes in at 440 grams, then weighed Griffs F22 and that comes in at 486 grams, now both of those are hand launchers although I have some reservations maybe about that . Final skin piece is on and weighed in at 409 grams without the pods. My thoughts are that 2 motors doesn't equal twice the thrust, and from the specs how do I determine what size battery they tested this motor on in a 4s test. A lot less brain work and more power , longer flights going pusher, but then that affects CG in a big way. :unsure:
IMG_20210805_151808143.jpg
IMG_20210805_151954069.jpg

Hondo76251

Legendary member
No doubt that the cool factor on going EDF would be much higher but the props wouldnt diminish its "presence" once its in the air as they are hardly noticeable.
Pusher or tractor would probably depend on where the weight best balances the plane. Both would work. One advantage of the props in front is that it forces air over the wings and gives control authority back to the flight surfaces quickly if you have to punch the throttle and save it. Longer flight times with props too.
Watching the FT videos of the giant 262 it looks to have some unique handling characteristics for sure. Either way she's an awesome build!

cyclone3350

Master member
I have no idea how if this formula works, but, this is what I am using on my f-5 and I am done, will know by then how well it works out. I am taking the rated static thrust of both motors combined and take 85% of that. If that is equal to or greater than the estimated AUW, then I am going to assume I have enough power. This was something a club member mentioned to me and I have nothing to back it up, except that it sounds plausible. I would say go for the EDF's. U won't know if U don't try.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
@cyclone3350 that sounds like a pretty good method. I dont typically do a lot of speed or acrobatics myself, mostly fpv, so i usually shoot for a thrust to weight of near 1:1 but not absolutely required. Some of my most enjoyable planes are probably only .75:1 (when you figure the weight of FPV gear and larger batteries)