Mega B-17 build

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Hey lads, well I got that landing gear all sturdied up. Previous owner had made a shambles of an easy repair so it took me about 2 hours to undo his work and do it right.
So with that the wings are finished except for paint of course.

Back to the fuselage.

I drew up a mold in fusion360 for my buddy to print so I can give it to another buddy to use it to vacuum form a bubble for the top turret.
I tried extending and re-using the original one but I made a total hash of it so started from scratch.
View attachment 167132
Had to lengthen a couple of wires in the cockpit to get them out of the way of the batteries, and it's here that I'm after some ideas from ya'll.

With the fc, 3x cameras, 2x camera switchers, vtx and antenna all up there, I need a way to mount the batteries.
I was thinking a thin plywood floor but alas I have no materials and wont be able to get anything for at least another 2 weeks.
I do have some scrap epo around tho.
Have a look at the pic below, yes the wiring is a mess right now but that'll either be tidied up or put out of sight and forgotten lol.
View attachment 167131
Comment with any ideas please guys.
I've had success glueing a bit of foamboard in there and wrapping a strap around it.

Mclags

Reassembled over the weekend for a cg check. Even with shifting as much as possible forward I'm still about 30mm aft.
I have ordered another heavier battery try and sort it without adding dead weight.
Can't get paint yet either.
So project is on hold until those bits and bobs arrive.
I'll post some pics of how she's looking later for ya'll tho.

Mclags

Yaaaay! Antennas finally arrived after getting lost in the post once, delayed due to covid for a month, lost again, found, delayed then delivered.
Have paint and everything needed to finish this bird, so back on the bench........once I clear and tidy it lol

Mclags

Well bugger!
Guess antenna fitment will have to wait a couple days lol

20200727_203749.jpg

CustomRCMods

Elite member
I always keep at least one of those cheapo linear antennas in both RP SMA and SMA on the bench for just that reason... Just in case I need one in a pinch. It will hold me over for a few days...

Mclags

Vtx's installed, just have to secure them and the esc's, then a lick of paint and the wing is all done!

Any bright ideas how to fix esc's on place?
IMG-20200730-WA0009.jpeg
IMG-20200730-WA0011.jpeg

shadeyB

Legendary member
I usually Velcro them in, good stuff as some hook n loop is ****

As custom said leave open for air flow, albeit they shouldn’t get too hot those. I have mine installed inside the canopy on top of wing , no airflow - not warm/hot - no problem 👍