Member status in this forum.

Seahunter

I have read extensively and have not located any threads that say how a member moves from a new member to a member status. I have been a member for about 2 years 7 months and am still referred to as new? can anyone tell me how to drop the new?

Seahunter

In past it was based off of number of posts.

Now? I'm sure that plays into it, but we've got likes and follows and awards and . . . . post a bit more and it'll change ;)
Thanks, I'm starting to get the hang of it! Still struggling with photo uploads and the signature thing also trying to set up a photo album to show off the planes in my my hanger, some twenty odd planes most never maidened, Guess I'm a collector or hoarder?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
the planes in my my hanger, some twenty odd planes most never maidened, Guess I'm a collector or hoarder?

Yep - you're infected too :D

Usually I've got about 6 "never flown" planes by the time spring rolls around too, but I do try and toss them into the air and see if they come back. If they don't, it just makes room for more build projects :D

basslord1124

Master member
I'm gonna guess 100 posts til you get to become a "Member". It shows you only have 15 messages/posts (hover your mouse over your picture to see this info). I wonder at what point you can customize your status as many have that.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
I noticed too that some of us have the mentor thingy but not sure how we get it. I think i got mine after i was a FF volunteer?

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I noticed too that some of us have the mentor thingy but not sure how we get it. I think i got mine after i was a FF volunteer?

You get the mentor tag if you have been nominated and approved in this thread, or if the mods think you have been significantly helpful to others on this forum.

Yes, you can change your title to whatever you want. Look at all the custom titles we have given ourselves, some more realistic than others.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor

Mine apparently showed up because someone at FT thought I was helpful. :) I guess it's kind of a Littlefinger thing: "I drink, and I know things." LOL

Geeky Game of Thrones pop culture references aside, I think if you're nominated and are helpful, and provide information to people that everyone finds useful, they'll tag you as a mentor.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Mine apparently showed up because someone at FT thought I was helpful. :) I guess it's kind of a Littlefinger thing: "I drink, and I know things." LOL

Geeky Game of Thrones pop culture references aside, I think if you're nominated and are helpful, and provide information to people that everyone finds useful, they'll tag you as a mentor.
From a nub perspective you certainly deserve the honorarium.

sprzout

Mentor
From a nub perspective you certainly deserve the honorarium.

I'll be honest, I know SOME things, but there's a LOT that I don't know. Some of it's figuring things out, some of it's just being nice, and some of what I offer is, to me, just plain common sense (but to someone who is coming in to this for the first time, it may NOT be common sense!)

I'm just glad that someone's found my info helpful. :)

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I'll be honest, I know SOME things, but there's a LOT that I don't know. Some of it's figuring things out, some of it's just being nice, and some of what I offer is, to me, just plain common sense (but to someone who is coming in to this for the first time, it may NOT be common sense!)

I'm just glad that someone's found my info helpful. :)

That's just the thing, you don't have to know everything, just something I or some other nub doesn't and be willing to share it!
Put enough helping types together and most things get a good answer.

I help out a bit over on the Glowforge forum, same same, I don't know a lot but I do know some things that keep coming up, mostly how to use Fusion 360 with it, others know other software packages and together we solve most of the nub problems.

mayan

Legendary member
Yep - you're infected too :D

Usually I've got about 6 "never flown" planes by the time spring rolls around too, but I do try and toss them into the air and see if they come back. If they don't, it just makes room for more build projects :D

You got some nerves my friend if you toss them into the air and hope they come back. It took a very long while to get used to losing and breaking down the planes I built.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
You got some nerves my friend if you toss them into the air and hope they come back. It took a very long while to get used to losing and breaking down the planes I built.

Not saying it doesn't give me the jitters - and it's not fun at all to lose one. I do try to focus on the bright side of any catastrophe though - I needed more room in the hangar anyway, and what did I learn from the experience :unsure:

sprzout

Mentor
At the risk of exposing my gooey geeky center, you're quoting Tyrion, not Littlefinger :p

You're right - wow...Guess that's what happens when I read the books, don't watch the TV series, and it's been...5 years since I last picked up one of George R.R. Martin's books? Oh, wait, that's been the wait for EVERYONE who's been reading his books. LOL You're right, though, I got confused with Littlefinger, but meant Tyrion.

sprzout

Mentor
That's just the thing, you don't have to know everything, just something I or some other nub doesn't and be willing to share it!
Put enough helping types together and most things get a good answer.

I help out a bit over on the Glowforge forum, same same, I don't know a lot but I do know some things that keep coming up, mostly how to use Fusion 360 with it, others know other software packages and together we solve most of the nub problems.

Knowing that, I may hit you up for questions in Fusion 360 - like how to do recessed lettering on a sphere, and create a thread pattern, so I can 3D print a new shift knob for my car. :) I've been trying to do it in Sketchup, but there are certain things that 360 does SO much better. :)