Membership Question

RickzFPV

Does the FTCA offer insurance like the AMA does. I fly a lot of fixed wing events and quad racing in the summer and the insurance is a requirement at the events.

Thomas B

FTCA does not provide insurance

AMA insurance is excess insurance only applies after your homeowners or other Insurance (if it covers). https://www.modelaviation.com/how-ama-insurance-works
AMA insurance is primary, if you do not have homeowners or similar insurance. I did not have homeowners or even a renters liability policy until my.mid 20s.

AMA insurance is important in that it also supplies primary insurance for site owners for clubs. I know FTCA is not into clubs at this time, but this part of the insurance helps make a lot of great flying sites possible.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
AMA insurance is primary, if you do not have homeowners or similar insurance. I did not have homeowners or even a renters liability policy until my.mid 20s.

AMA insurance is important in that it also supplies primary insurance for site owners for clubs. I know FTCA is not into clubs at this time, but this part of the insurance helps make a lot of great flying sites possible.
from AMA's website:
First, AMA’s insurance is "excess" to any other applicable insurance coverage. Therefore, if your modeling activities cause property damage or bodily injury, you must submit a claim through any other insurance coverage you have available that would respond to this kind of claim.
you might want to recheck your understanding of "primary." So sure, in your case were you don't have anything of value and no related insurance, there isn't a different insurance that would first apply. but [likely for people thinking about these things] that isn't the normal state of things.

Bricks

Master member
^^^^^^^ This has always been my largest gripe of AMA if I am paying for insurance for a specific thing flying they should cover that activity not other coverage I have first then maybe them..