Messerschmitt Bf-109 - foamboard build based on Ultramicrobe's mods of FT Spitfire

pX_

This build started as an effort to make a companion for my friend's Spitfire. I found that user Ultramicrobe already made modifications of FT Spitfire plans that make it into Messerschmitt Bf-109 ( article on FliteTest ).

Since I'm a novice scratch-builder, I applied Ultramicrobe's modifications directly onto original FT Spitfire plans, so I would have less to worry about when cutting and building the plane. I think these plans could benefit more builders, so after today's maiden, where I made sure that the design works, I decided to publish them.

Plans:

Build process is almost exactly the same as build of FT Spitfire.

0010_DSC_3110.jpg
0020_DSC_3101.jpg
0020_DSC_3102.jpg
0020_DSC_3104.jpg
0030_DSC_3120.jpg
0040_DSC_3122.jpg
0050_DSC_3125.jpg
0050_DSC_3129.jpg
0050_DSC_3133.jpg
0060_DSC_3140.jpg
0060_WP_20170204_19_54_20_Rich.jpg

Painting
0070_WP_20170205_11_38_15_Rich.jpg
0070_WP_20170205_11_57_47_Rich.jpg
0070_WP_20170205_13_30_30_Rich.jpg
0070_WP_20170205_13_37_56_Rich.jpg
0070_WP_20170205_13_40_17_Rich.jpg
0070_WP_20170205_13_42_39_Rich.jpg
0070_WP_20170205_14_17_32_Rich.jpg
0070_WP_20170205_14_27_10_Rich.jpg

Moving to field
0080_WP_20170205_15_17_30_Rich.jpg
0080_WP_20170205_16_04_46_Rich.jpg

The painting job is kind of messed up (yellow overspray is showing on parts of the wings), but it is noticeable only under some angles.

Next, I need to finish canopy. If you have any ideas on how to make nice Bf-109-like canopy, I would welcome them.

I hope you enjoyed this post and possibly will build the plane and enjoy it even more.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
pX,

The build looks great! I noticed your had a tube of UHU POR in one of your pictures. Do you use it on your builds?

pX_

pX,

The build looks great! I noticed your had a tube of UHU POR in one of your pictures. Do you use it on your builds?

Thank you :) . No, I used only hotglue and packing tape (for swappable pod) in this build. The UHU POR tube was on the table because I found it in one of my still un-processed boxes (I moved recently). I only used it on EPP model kits.

Although I was thinking about using it in foamborad builds, it could delay the build process by quite a bit.

On the other hand, the glue joint might be better using UHU, at least in winter -- I found out, that hotglue is much more brittle in cold. I was flying in -8°C weather and something broke off of my spitfire after a bit firmer landing.

ranger351

Warbird Crazy!
attachment.php

Funny how that works! I was just thinking the other day how I should build a 109 again. This was one of the first FT style planes I built. Thank you for redrawing the plans.

pX_

Funny how that works! I was just thinking the other day how I should build a 109 again. This was one of the first FT style planes I built. Thank you for redrawing the plans.

You're welcome, I'm really glad someone is going to use them :)

pX_

pX,

What software did you use to redraw the plans?

I used Inkscape. It has its annoying quirks, but for a sweet price of $0, I managed to dance around them. If you're interested, I can upload Inkscape SVG files for these plans, but you should be able to achieve the same result by opening the shared PDF files directly.

Jaxx

I used Inkscape. It has its annoying quirks, but for a sweet price of $0, I managed to dance around them. If you're interested, I can upload Inkscape SVG files for these plans, but you should be able to achieve the same result by opening the shared PDF files directly.

I would love to check out the SVG files. I've been playing around with Inkscape here and there (still learning how to use it), so it's great to see what the final product can look like.You did great job updating the original plans! I need to start dedicating more time to mastering this software. Thanks for the information.

pX_

I would love to check out the SVG files. I've been playing around with Inkscape here and there (still learning how to use it), so it's great to see what the final product can look like.You did great job updating the original plans! I need to start dedicating more time to mastering this software. Thanks for the information.

Hi, it took me some time to upload this, since I either forgot when I was at home (it didn't sync to my cloud for some reason) or I fighted with upload process on this forum, which didn't want to accept the SVG files (maybe the site wanted to create thumbnails or something).

Anyway, you can download it here: View attachment Messerschmitt BF-109 (SVG).zip

If you want to edit PDF plans in Inkscape, the main thing you will fight with is un-intuitive way in which objects (lines etc) are grouped together. It greatly depends on the exact software and its settings that were used to export the PDF. What is necessary is to ungroup all objects (sometimes several times, because often there is a group of a group of a group ...) and then edit what you want.

I modify all the plans - I usually only re-arrange the parts on documents the size of my foamboard, print it on a large format printer, glue it with weak glue to foamboard, cut it and then unstuck the plans. If you plan doing something like this, it is extremely useful to group parts back together, so you can move, rotate and copy them easily.

Jaxx

Hi, it took me some time to upload this, since I either forgot when I was at home (it didn't sync to my cloud for some reason) or I fighted with upload process on this forum, which didn't want to accept the SVG files (maybe the site wanted to create thumbnails or something).

Anyway, you can download it here: View attachment 82238

If you want to edit PDF plans in Inkscape, the main thing you will fight with is un-intuitive way in which objects (lines etc) are grouped together. It greatly depends on the exact software and its settings that were used to export the PDF. What is necessary is to ungroup all objects (sometimes several times, because often there is a group of a group of a group ...) and then edit what you want.

I modify all the plans - I usually only re-arrange the parts on documents the size of my foamboard, print it on a large format printer, glue it with weak glue to foamboard, cut it and then unstuck the plans. If you plan doing something like this, it is extremely useful to group parts back together, so you can move, rotate and copy them easily.

Thanks for the files and the great Inkscape tips!

FPVology

5 planes stuffed in there.. not bad!

Nice build, she looks great.

I've been playing with inkscape a lot over the past year or so and have really grown to like it.
Can't beat free either!

Steveacer

Just about to start building this, I was thinking that the Hurricane canopy that is on flitetest is quite similar to a Messerschmitt one?