Metal, foam and hot glue

4U2NVME

Hey all anybody used a metal firewall before and hot glued it in? I have washed it and scraped the deal outta it with 80 grit sandpaper, will it hold with the hot glue and foamboard?

Anybody tried to turn the FT firewalls metal.. what worked what did not? This is going in the explorer.

Attachments

• 15468480005321372996614.jpg
    15468480005321372996614.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 15468480661642113430620.jpg
    15468480661642113430620.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I used a metal motor mount once, you have to heat it up before so the glue will stick to it and let it cool down after you put the glue otherwise it could melt the foam.

sumone

I use thin aluminium angle. (very light and strong)
Works fine .It's my go to motor mount .
I cut about 50 of them last year.

on my wings i scuff the ally and hot glue it between 2 pieces of concrete expansion foam.(pusher style setup)
If i really work my motors hard the hot glue starts to loosen up a bit
But it soon cools down.

HilldaFlyer

Why not just mount the motor to the metal motor mount? I'm always worried that the forces on the motor mount will separate the motor from foam. If the motor gets hot, the hot glue will not hold. If the holes in your motor mount are too big to hold a small bolt/nut, put a small piece of plywood inside the motor mount and screw that to the motor. Then you'll never have to worry about the glue coming off.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Why not just mount the motor to the metal motor mount? I'm always worried that the forces on the motor mount will separate the motor from foam. If the motor gets hot, the hot glue will not hold. If the holes in your motor mount are too big to hold a small bolt/nut, put a small piece of plywood inside the motor mount and screw that to the motor. Then you'll never have to worry about the glue coming off.
or you could put some ceramic washers in between the motor and the mount.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Great idea, hot glue should work just fine. As others hav said, heat the metal and put the hot glue on the foam. This will be more than strong enough to hold the flying forces. The mount poping off in a crash, is an easy fix and may prevent damage elsewhere.

You could always zip tie, but I don't think it’s necessary.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have made motor mounts from PVC, I used square plastic downspouts. Any similar material would work. An old garbage can would be ideal.

4U2NVME

I do have my motor mounted to the metal motor mount. The question was more, will the glue hold the firewall to the foam board securely enough. Just need to complete the wing and I guess I'll have my answer soon enough ;)

4U2NVME

Ed from Experimental Airlines has a video on Metal Motor Mounts

Thanks Merv for that link/post!! Ed is the reason I purchased the metal plate a while back and the reason I made it metal, he is also the reason I have the 3m tape... but my forgetfulness is the reason I forgot to use the 3m tape on the mount.

I wanted to make mine a bit more 'fancy' then his and the reason I used the template from FT... but it seems its not 100% strait... now if I went with Ed's simple design, I am sure it would be a piece of cake to twist the mount plate a bit. We see if I can fix it in trim...

As a side note, I am using Ed's Armin wing for the explorer because of so many complaints of the explorer wing folding, hopefully get the wing built tonight.

Brad.

HilldaFlyer

I do have my motor mounted to the metal motor mount. The question was more, will the glue hold the firewall to the foam board securely enough. Just need to complete the wing and I guess I'll have my answer soon enough ;)
OK Gotch ya... What I do with these mounts is to drill a couple of small holes in the bed of the motor mount and then screw it to plywood mounted on the other side of the foam to create a motor mount - foam- plywood sandwich. Yummy