Micro Tri-Copter

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I just built a micro tri copter based on Davids version on RC Explorer.

I used a standard frame but 6" arms and 10 gram Hextronik motors from Hobby King, 6X3 3 blade props, Turnigy 6A ESC's and a KK Ver 5.5E board with KR 2.5 Tricopter Firmware.

I used a servo tester to center my servo before mating it direct drive as David did to the tail motor assembly.

When I power up when viewed from the back the servo travels completely to it's left most limit.

There is no servo control until the board is armed AND the throttle is off of the zero point just before the motors spin up.

At this point I can then use my transmitter to trim the servo to the middle centered / level position but my yaw/rudder trim is all the way to a limit on my transmitter.

Is this normal or do I have something reversed? I have done stick centering and ESC / Throttle calibration.

microtricopter.jpg

Thurmond

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
The servo should be mounted with the motor pointed straight up, when you turn on the throttle it should tilt to the side. You need to trim it so it only tilts like 15-10 degrees to the right, this is to compensate the torque of the motors. You need to hover to trim it.

Tritium

The servo is mounted with the motor straight up. As soon as I plug in the battery it tilts to the right IF looking from the front of the tri-copter. I just barely give it throttle and it straightens up to wherever it is trimmed to, so it sounds like it is working correctly. I am running counter rotating Props on the front two motors. I was able to hover it at about 1/2 throttle for 20 or 30 seconds today (flying is a very small space).
Controls are very touchy so I have to set up my radio to correct that. Total flying weight is 8oz (227gr), Battery is a Turnigy NanoTech 2S 1.0. Motors and ESC's were just barely warm so I think the combination of Motor, ESC, Propeller that I used may work out. I will have to run it longer to be sure though.

Thanks
Thurmond

Last edited:

Tritium

I had a very successful indoor flight today. I am VERY happy with this micro tri copter. It is sweet to fly especially after my experience with the micro quad I tried to build that was nothing but a fight all the way. The rear motor is heating up a bit more than the others (none are hot though) which is a bit puzzling but I have a spare in case it dies. Looks like I will get about 7 minutes from a 2S 1000mAh Turnigy Nano-Tech. It was absolutely thrilling to a bunch of small children who had never seen ANY RC craft before and thrilling to me since it worked flawlessly and I did not crash it.
One older guy did threaten to get a can of "Raid" for flying insects though ;) .
Thurmond

Tritium

Unfortunately my #11 key-chain camera (only video camera I have) was at home. I will see what I can do for a future flight though.

Side notes: There are only 4 screws in this model holding the rear motor mount to the yaw assembly.
All the arms are mounted to the frame with pins made from aluminum filler wire for TIG welding . The landing gear is made from the same wire and is covered with silicone jacket from #14 Turnigy Wire. The front two motor mounts are tied down with two zip ties each then hot glued for safety. So far it seems VERY sturdy. The 7 minutes of flight used only 45% of the battery charge.

Thurmond

Last edited:

genious

Did you solve your problems with the yaw servo? I have the same on my tricopter and although like you I can get around the problem, I'd quite like to know what's going on!

Tritium

I have found No solution yet. Just flying with trim nearly at a limit for that axis.

Thurmond