MiG 8

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Well, this isn't exactly a show idea, it's just an idea I had for a great FPV platform and this is the best forum subject to add it to.

Back when Russia was starting to get into building jet planes, I think during WWII, they build a small prop plane with swept back wings and a canard in front to test out how well swept wings worked. It's called the MiG 8 and here is a brief Wikipedia article about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-8

It's supposed to be a favorite plane among the Russian test pilots that flew it. Easy to fly, handled great, all that stuff. I just thought I'd throw this experimental plane out there as an idea to build it for a FPV plane. I know a lot of people have independently built similar planes for FPV, but it might be nice to copy an existing and tested real plane designed that has some history with it. It is a rather ugly plane, but would be perfect for FPV.

5273808290_0973045539_z.jpg

10048L.jpg

utka.jpg

mig8_r.jpg

Joe T

I discovered he MIG-8 after I had develop the 5th configuration (concept) of my Light Sport Aircraft.

Currently, I am building a 1/3 scale flight test model of configuration 206E.

A brief 'history.'

First, the concept:

Aerodigm Model 206E 'Escape'

(See PDF)

Some construction photos:

100_2522 - 1 Cropped Compressed.jpg

0421131631a-1.jpg

Now, I am focusing on the full scale LSA. I just received my full scale Master Tools for the fuselage shells adn teh doors.

100_2848-1.jpg

Attachments

• Various Views of Model 206E.pdf
    268.6 KB · Views: 35

Joe T

The instrumentation in my Model 206E flight test vehicle. The system is from Eagle Tree. It has been problematic, but I think I have it (actually, WE - John B and me) functioning properly now.

1.) Aileron position (give angle of deflection for aileron)
2.) Aileron current (gives load on aileron)
3.) Elevator position (give angle of deflection for elevator)
4.) Elevator current (gives load on elevator)
5.) Yawboard position (give angle of deflection for yawboard)
6.) Yawboard current (gives load on yawboad)
7.) Flap position (give angle of deflection for flap)
8.) Flap current (gives load on flap)
9.) Cylinder head temperature
10.) Battery voltage
11.) True (barometric) airspeed
12.) True (barometric) altitude
13.) GPS airspeed - don't really need this. But the 'system' comes with a built-in GPS
14.) GPS altitude - don't really need this. But the 'system' comes with a built-in GPS
15.) Beta for side-slip
16.) Alpha for AoA (Angle of Attack)
17.) Real time video with HUD (Head Up Display) overlaid - this is displayed on a separate laptop screen. It has true airspeed, altitude, Alpha, Beta, and battery voltage overlaid on the video. The camera is mounted in the aircraft looking out over the nose of the airplane where it can 'see' the horizon. This will give a reference for any stall buffeting, canard porpoising , etc.
18.) Three axis 'very sensitive' accelerometers - this, along with the time synch, can give me a 'rate gyro,' -- I hope. This will give instantaneous G and average G for a maneuver - I HOPE!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Well, all I can say is "wow!". Looks like a well thought out and ambitious project. I wish you the best of luck!

zev

lumpy member
what an awesome plane! almost looks like it is flying backwards… for FPV it might be hard to get the CG far back enough, but it may work.

as for the full size, keep us posted!

iCrash

nice! I don't think I've seen this plane before. Makes me want to do a scratch build just to have something at the RC field that no one else has. :) Thanks for sharing.

Joe T

what an awesome plane! almost looks like it is flying backwards… for FPV it might be hard to get the CG far back enough, but it may work.

as for the full size, keep us posted!

Getting the CG 'back' ain't a problem. The model is tail heavy. I have a fair amount of ballast in the nose.

Joe T

nice! I don't think I've seen this plane before. Makes me want to do a scratch build just to have something at the RC field that no one else has. :) Thanks for sharing.

The plane / concept is unique. I HOPE you haven't seen the plane before!!

Regards,
Joe T.

Joe T

Well, this isn't exactly a show idea, it's just an idea I had for a great FPV platform and this is the best forum subject to add it to.

Back when Russia was starting to get into building jet planes, I think during WWII, they build a small prop plane with swept back wings and a canard in front to test out how well swept wings worked. It's called the MiG 8 and here is a brief Wikipedia article about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-8

It's supposed to be a favorite plane among the Russian test pilots that flew it. Easy to fly, handled great, all that stuff. I just thought I'd throw this experimental plane out there as an idea to build it for a FPV plane. I know a lot of people have independently built similar planes for FPV, but it might be nice to copy an existing and tested real plane designed that has some history with it. It is a rather ugly plane, but would be perfect for FPV.

View attachment 14078

View attachment 14079

View attachment 14080

View attachment 14081

Yes, the purpose of the MIG-8 was to provide a testbed for the first Soviet Supersonic Fighter's (MIG-15?) swept wing's low speed performance. They needed to have the wing fly in clean air - not tractor prop and a low canard. Why didn't they do a conventional design with a pusher motor? I don't know.

Some interesting video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27lWmIw13Bw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWHqVHZHz-I

Regards,
Joe T.

rcspaceflight

This is the video that I watched where I first found out about the MiG 8. It's long, but worth watching. I don't remember where the MiG 8 is in the video. But there is a lot of other interesting stuff the Russians did. Like when they put glider bi-wings onto a tank! Now that is some test footage I'd give anything to see.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
This is the video that I watched where I first found out about the MiG 8. It's long, but worth watching. I don't remember where the MiG 8 is in the video. But there is a lot of other interesting stuff the Russians did. Like when they put glider bi-wings onto a tank! Now that is some test footage I'd give anything to see.

The Mig 8 is at the 38 minute mark, but very short blurb about it.
Was a very interesting video about the Soviet aircraft development. Man, Stalin was a paranoid schizophrenic though!

Cool stuff about aircraft development and what happened during WWII.

Joe T

Thanks for the video. I have not watched all of it, yet, but I will. I have also sent it to a few of my friends.

Joe T.

rcspaceflight

I hope that thing flies as great as it looks. I can't wait to see that in the air. I'm guessing it will be quite a while before you get the full scale version done. So I guess I have to wait for to see that.

Joe T

Latest Status of Aerodigm Model 206E 1/3 Scale Flight Test Model

All,

I have some updates on progress if anyone is interested. However, it is just too cumbersome to upload photos, etc., on this site. they have to be compressed, etc., before uploading. A pain - - And PDF uploads are even more restricted in size.

I have had my own website for many years. I have changed it to a composites oriented site, but I didn't change its name. That would have been expensive.

If you are interested in see my latest progress, go to this site:

http://www.santaclaritaridingclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Be warned, to view the PDFs I have uploaded, you will have to join the site. No complaining!!

Regards,
Joe T.

Joe T

The video is marked as "private".. Can't seem to access it.

Humm, you will have to be more specific. Which video? The ones from post #14? Those are YouTube videos and are not private - unless something has changed. I will check.

If you are refering to post #16, you have to 'join/register' on the website before you can open the PDFs.

Joe T.

Last edited:

Joe T

The long and winding road has finally come to an end

The construction phase of the Aerodigm Model 206E 'Escape' 1/3 scale flight test vehicle is complete. We will start the testing phase this Saturday - weather permitting. We will perform several taxis tests at the industrial park before transitioning to the airport.

The wingspan, from upper winglet tip to the other tip is 10'7". The fuse is 6'.

A reminder of the model's rendering:

orange perspective.jpg

The results:

Final Construction Photo - 1 - COMPRESSED.jpg

Final Construction Photo - 2 - COMPRESSED.jpg

Final Construction Photo - 3 - COMPRESSED.jpg

Final Construction Photo - 4 - COMPRESSED.jpg

Regards,
Joe T.