Might Mini Corsair too heavy?

Flqk

Recently made a mighty mini corsair. It weighs in at 1 lb. On my maiden flight, it kind of vertically wiggled for a second then nose dived. Should I get a bigger motor or try to lose weight? Any help would be appreciated.

Specs:
2200kv motor
30a esc
850mAh 11.1V 45C 3S1P battery
6ch. reciever
4 x 9 g servos

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
hmmm what did you build it out of?

the store page shows:
Weight: 270 grams (Fully assembled; without battery)
a 850mAh 3s battery should be in the ballpark of Net Weight(±20g): 76g

Which puts it to an AUW of around 350g or 0.77lb

it would probably fly at 1lb, but it would need to be going rather fast to stay up in the air.

Was your CG at the indicated location?

Flqk

hmmm what did you build it out of?

the store page shows:
Weight: 270 grams (Fully assembled; without battery)
a 850mAh 3s battery should be in the ballpark of Net Weight(±20g): 76g

Which puts it to an AUW of around 350g or 0.77lb

it would probably fly at 1lb, but it would need to be going rather fast to stay up in the air.

Was your CG at the indicated location?
I built it out of the foam they sent. Shoulda clarified, built the mighty mini kit. I centered the battery over the 2.5" cog they said it had.

JasonK

I built it out of the foam they sent. Shoulda clarified, built the mighty mini kit. I centered the battery over the 2.5" cog they said it had.

If you used the SBK -> Maybe you used a whole lot of glue then?

The COG marks should be where it balances on your fingers, and you adjust the battery to get it to balance at that spot.

Flqk

If you used the SBK -> Maybe you used a whole lot of glue then?

The COG marks should be where it balances on your fingers, and you adjust the battery to get it to balance at that spot.
Maybe I used too much glue. Should I get a stronger motor to account for the weight? If so, what kv should I get?

JasonK

Maybe I used too much glue. Should I get a stronger motor to account for the weight? If so, what kv should I get?

what motor did you use, you only specified the KV?
the recommended motor is a 2205 2300kV and the recommended prop is 6x3

Can you get some pictures of your plane please?
front, side, top
show were it balances with the battery installed (put the battery in it spots then hold it up by 2 finger tips under the wings, when it balances on your fingers that is where the CG is, if that is in the wrong spot, the plane won't fly.)

Flqk

what motor did you use, you only specified the KV?
the recommended motor is a 2205 2300kV and the recommended prop is 6x3

Can you get some pictures of your plane please?
front, side, top
show were it balances with the battery installed (put the battery in it spots then hold it up by 2 finger tips under the wings, when it balances on your fingers that is where the CG is, if that is in the wrong spot, the plane won't fly.)
I used a D2826 2200kv. I wonder if that's my problem, off brand, off model number? It was an old motor I had from a couple years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20210929_190019.jpg
    IMG_20210929_190019.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210929_190037.jpg
    IMG_20210929_190037.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210929_190140.jpg
    IMG_20210929_190140.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

JasonK

where does it balance on your fingers?
what prop did you use? (were the numbers facing forward?)

Flqk

where does it balance on your fingers?
what prop did you use? (were the numbers facing forward?)
I can balance it with a motor on at 2.5" from the leading edge. Where the kit says. I used a 6x3 with the letters forward.

JasonK

I can balance it with a motor on at 2.5" from the leading edge. Where the kit says. I used a 6x3 with the letters forward.
the prop sounds like it should be fine.

is that with your battery in or without it? because it needs to balance at the kit says with everything in it.
did you calibrate your ESC?
what throttle level did you have it at when throwing?
have you done any test glides?

Flqk

the prop sounds like it should be fine.

is that with your battery in or without it? because it needs to balance at the kit says with everything in it.
did you calibrate your ESC?
what throttle level did you have it at when throwing?
have you done any test glides?
Yes, everything in. No, haven't calibrated the esc. I can look that up and do that. Had it almost all the way because the first few throws didn't have enough throttle. I haven't done any glides, is that to test the balance?

JasonK

Yes, everything in. No, haven't calibrated the esc. I can look that up and do that. Had it almost all the way because the first few throws didn't have enough throttle. I haven't done any glides, is that to test the balance?

Flite Test said:
if it glides, it can fly
it is a way to make sure the CG is correct, the FT crew will do glide tests when designing stuff to make sure it will fly. I do the same thing at home, throwing stuff across the room toward a soft target and progressively get farther away making sure my plane is gliding.

I am fairly sure the recommended motor has power to spare, so unless something is wrong with your motor (or your ESC isn't calabrated), you should have enough power to get airborn [as long as your CG is right]

Flqk

it is a way to make sure the CG is correct, the FT crew will do glide tests when designing stuff to make sure it will fly. I do the same thing at home, throwing stuff across the room toward a soft target and progressively get farther away making sure my plane is gliding.

I am fairly sure the recommended motor has power to spare, so unless something is wrong with your motor (or your ESC isn't calabrated), you should have enough power to get airborn [as long as your CG is right]
Alright, I'll try test gliding tomorrow. I'll also order a new motor. Thank you for all of your help!!

Aslansmonkey

Somehow you built your's heavy. For reference, mine, fully loaded WITHOUT the battery weighs in at 290g. Mine's painted too. It's spinning a 6x3 prop on a Crazypony 2205 2300kv motor and flies just fine at half throttle.

There's every reason to think you'll get yours flying with enough thrust and making sure the balance is right, though, so keep at it!