Mighty (kind of) Mini Delanne/Long Under Camber (Tandem Wing Madness Continues)

synjin

Elite member
So, after work this week I thought I should make a slow flier and wondered what plans I would use...then it hit me, "Hey! Why not a tandem wing!" This design is based off of Delanne's designs and images I saw of 1950's free flight Delanne style models. It's a boxy, classic FT Style design, and when I threw it up today the maiden went surprisingly well (though the initial landing skid mount folded on the first landing). I'm not sure it's indoor flying slow, but it can go fairly slow. It is easy to handle and pretty forgiving. Like the other tandem wings it doesn't really stall. If anyone tries it, let me know what you think.

The curve in the fuselage side make doing a "B" fold possible but a waste of foam board, so I built the fuselage in separate pieces. However, you could do a FT style "B" fold fuselage if you joined the two fuselage side halves to the rear deck piece while laying out your plan. That would take up most of a sheet of foam board all on it's own which I thought was not efficient. Mine doesn't have the interior brace, which I added to the plans to help square up the fuselage. When I build another one, I'll use the interior brace and the rear deck brace to help square the fuselage.

Here is Version 1.5 of the plan.

DL-UC
Delanne-Long Under Camber
by Andrew Long/synjin

Motor: 1806 2400Kv
ESC: 20a
Wing Span: Front 29.25 Inches
Rear 20 Inches
Length: 19.5 Inches
Weight (without battery): 210g
2 9g Servoes
Version 1

Here’s a video of the DL-UC flying.

Attachments

• DL-UC Front.jpg
    DL-UC Front.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DL-UC Side.jpg
    DL-UC Side.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DL-UC Top.jpg
    DL-UC Top.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • Delanne Under Camber Plan V.1.pdf
    51.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

synjin

Elite member
The rain let up, so I was out for a fly at lunch today. Flying the DL-UC low over the empty playground, a juvenile bald eagle decided to have a go at the plane. He made 5 or 6 passes before flying off. He was bigger (when they're that low you really see how big they are), but I was more maneuverable. Because I live here, I forget that cities in Alaska are really in the middle of the wilderness. Synjin 3: Birds 0 (Year to date.).

synjin

Elite member
I think I'll put wheels on. The skids aren't working as well as I had hoped. I'll just turn the skids, cut them short, and pop on some wheels. It glides surprisingly well.

Really loving that stupid looking beautiful little thing! Love the clean simple no-nonsense build. It doesn't always have to be a replica warplane or a ridiculously accurate model to be super cool. (y)

B40B

What a fun little plane! I built one just because it looks cool (reminds me of a quickie) and took almost no time. Flies amazing. Gentle and calm in lazy circles if you want, and then crazy tumbles when you turn up the power.

I modified the plans slightly so that it would fit on 8.5x14 so that I can print straight onto the poster board for templates.

Again, great plane. Well done!

Attachments

• DL-UC Templates.pdf
    28.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200909_2116242.jpg
    IMG_20200909_2116242.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200909_2117269.jpg
    IMG_20200909_2117269.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200909_2117367.jpg
    IMG_20200909_2117367.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
What a fun little plane! I built one just because it looks cool (reminds me of a quickie) and took almost no time. Flies amazing. Gentle and calm in lazy circles if you want, and then crazy tumbles when you turn up the power.

I modified the plans slightly so that it would fit on 8.5x14 so that I can print straight onto the poster board for templates.

(Shameless plug: If you like the Quickie configuration check out the Bush Tandem!)

synjin

Elite member

B40B, I'm glad you enjoy it! It's great fun to fly and far more forgiving than a conventional plane (Been flying my J-3 Cubbish this week and I have to be more on it than the DL-UC. The Cubbish wing started life as the DL-UC wing.). How did you tile the plans? I'd like to be able to do that in the future.

I drew plans for a 45" wingspan Delanne tandem twin motor and will be building it over the next week or so. It's a boxy design as I am still designing in 2D. It's more like the DL-57 Mk.III as it has folded wings. I plan on running 2212 930Kv motors (because I have a bunch on them). We'll see how it flies.

Last edited: