Mighty Mini B-17G

Ultimate_Red

RC Groundling
Introduction
You might be aware that Horizon Hobby currently have a UMX B-17G on sale at $159.99 and at that price is a bit steep in my opinion. http://www.horizonhobby.com/airplane-new-releases/umx-b-17g-flying-fortress-bnf-eflu5380
At 26 inches wingspan it is small although to small to carry the usual equipment used by members here at Flite Test such as 5/9g servos and the Mighty Mini power pods.
B17_Av_4501_DA_3-view_p122_W.png

Specs
Wingspan: 49 3/4 inches.
Length: 37 inches.
Height: 10 1/2 inches.
Weight: TBA

Plans
Warning! Alpha Plans! Build At Your Own Risk!
Plans Here

Recommended Electronics
Motor: Multistar Elite 2204-2300KV Multi-Rotor Motor
Servos: Turnigy TG9e 9g
ESC: Suppo 10A Brushless ESC
Battery: Turnigy nano-tech 1000mAh 3S 45~90C Lipo Pack
Props: Direct Drive HQ Prop - Carbon Composite - 5x3

Build Log

Development

Last edited:

saiga556

Full of...
Maybe since you'll be using 4 motors you could get a combo pack for a multirotor setup from one of the online retailers for cheaper than buying components individually.

Just a thought.

Ultimate_Red

RC Groundling
Maybe since you'll be using 4 motors you could get a combo pack for a multirotor setup from one of the online retailers for cheaper than buying components individually.

Just a thought.

The price roughly calculates to around $60 dollars before DTFB so is definitely cheaper than the Horizon Hobby UMX B-17

Biff45452

The price roughly calculates to around $60 dollars before DTFB so is definitely cheaper than the Horizon Hobby UMX B-17

Did the HK price just dramatically go up? I calculate the cost of your components to be $133.96 without reciever which is really close to the $159 horizon price.

Ultimate_Red

RC Groundling
Did the HK price just dramatically go up? I calculate the cost of your components to be $133.96 without reciever which is really close to the $159 horizon price.

I think I miss calculated. :) oops
Well it's cheaper than the Horizon Hobby (if it's only just). It'll keep me occupied and it gives everyone plans to build this great plane.

Biff45452

I think I miss calculated. :) oops
Well it's cheaper than the Horizon Hobby (if it's only just). It'll keep me occupied and it gives everyone plans to build this great plane.

The horizon plane uses brushed motors and is half the size so yours will be a totally different animal.

Sometimes the journey is just as good as the destination. Keep us posted on your progress.

Ultimate_Red

RC Groundling
The horizon plane uses brushed motors and is half the size so yours will be a totally different animal.

Sometimes the journey is just as good as the destination. Keep us posted on your progress.

The plan is to make the first 4 engined plane using FT methods of construction. And at around a 50 inch wingspan (after modifications) is only just larger than the cruiser so she wont be a big bird.

Any way, she is developing fast and I'm not far off getting some plans.

Safe Flying!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
This is great! I'm looking forward to seeing this progress, as I think the umx b17 looks great. Although, I think the first ft 4 engine plane may end up being Peters vtol cargo once the plans and sbk go up.

Ultimate_Red

RC Groundling
In my opinion the B-17G, the best of all the B-17 series, is amazing because it is a tank.
b17-30.gif
Here this B-17 lost both sides of it's elevator and still managed to land. It can still fly with 2 engines and the B-17G was made 8,680 times!
Furthermore it could carry 35,965 lb of equipment. More than it's own weight!
It's just truly an amazing plane.

Ultimate_Red

RC Groundling
Sorry guys. I'm unable to post the plans due to a fault in the system. They're complete so hopefully I can get them on soon.

Ultimate_Red

RC Groundling
Currently I have no resources such as Foam Board so if someone would like to build this to find out the weight and strength it would be much appreciated.

Safe Flying.
Rhys.

Also I found this!
Skip to 1:06 for the B-17 low pass!

Last edited:

saiga556

Full of...
Currently I have no resources such as Foam Board so if someone would like to build this to find out the weight and strength it would be much appreciated.

Safe Flying.
Rhys.

Also I found this!
Skip to 1:06 for the B-17 low pass!

That would be an awesome spot to sit around with a cooler of beer.