Mighty Mini Bf-109 Swappable - Build Thread

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Congrats on the awesome maiden! She flies great!

Thanks. Had to get it done. Couldn't leave you with an ounce of spare time on your hands. :cool:

love it congrats on the maiden i didn't know you play war thunder by the way i love that game it gives me some ideas for designs but in the past its never come out right
anyway great job.
Keep up the good work
-Airhawk

Yep, war thunder is a lot of fun, especially in realistic mode with a full joystick and pedal setup. Sometimes ideas work out the first time, others splatter. All part of the fun. If you have something you want to work stick with it until it does.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Thanks. Had to get it done. Couldn't leave you with an ounce of spare time on your hands. :cool:

Fortunately for me I will have about two weeks filled with spare time coming very soon. Work trip.
Nothing to do but sit in a hotel room in the evenings and design plane skins. :p Poor me. :rolleyes:

97tj-neil

Anyone else build this yet? The weather here is no good for a maiden, so I thought I would paint it.

Localfiend, nice job on the plans. Looking forward to flying it.

95C35710-0A9F-468A-B9AD-62B5A2879346_zpsaejtzhjg.jpg

I have so many Mini's to build so little space but really want this to go with my Zero and Mustang.

Oh and you know you're spoiling us with how fast these comes out :) I'm sure we all don't mind :) LOL

Last edited:

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Anyone else build this yet? The weather here is no good for a maiden, so I thought I would paint it.

Awesome. Love the paint. You going to put a clear canopy on it?

97tj-neil

Thanks. I have been using Pez dispenser heads for my pilots. They are cheap, lightweight, and nicely detailed. I used minion Dave in my FTMM P51.

912517F4-C577-482B-9693-245E7B4B4B15_zpsnc6ybov3.jpg

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
....I have been using Pez dispenser heads for my pilots. They are cheap, lightweight, and nicely detailed....

lol! I was wondering where you got thoses! Hilarious! I smile and laugh everytime I see one of you planes.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I'm building it out of cardboard. When done, will post pictures.

Cool. Cardboard has been used on builds in the past, should work fine as long as it's not heavy duty stuff. Will probably weigh more, but this thing was so stable with foam it can probably handle it.

flyingsquirrelRC

OH MY GOD WANT TO BUILD ONE SO BAD.

Jeez dude how do you do it? I can barely keep my grades up in high school while playing lacrosse. (I don't have time to build this now, but after school's out in the summer this is DEFINITELY my first build)

Good luck with finishing it up. Can't wait to see it painted.

Rasterize are you going to do one of those print-out-and-glue-on graphics for this? (like where you peel the paper off and print out the graphics and glue them back on) I think it will make it look nice and neat. looked great for the corsair, sooo.....

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Good luck with finishing it up. Can't wait to see it painted.

Rasterize are you going to do one of those print-out-and-glue-on graphics for this? (like where you peel the paper off and print out the graphics and glue them back on) I think it will make it look nice and neat. looked great for the corsair, sooo.....

Dunno that I'll paint the prototype. When I build another it will probably get paint of some sort. I did scale this up to 39" after the initial maiden on the mini went well. That one got painted.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?25267-39-quot-Messerschmitt-Bf-109-Swappable-Build-Thread

:cool:

flyingsquirrelRC

what is the size of the spitfire? my friend wants to make a spitfire, so I was wondering how it would compare if i made this one for dogfighting. if I could use the f pack mighty mini power setup instead of buying a more powerful engine that would be better.

97tj-neil

After a maiden with limited success, this Sat for a month. Over the weekend I repaired the damage and got in the air again. I have run 3 batteries through it now. I am happy to report that it flies really well. It is a totally different experience than my FTMM and my 60% FT Spitfire. It likes to fly faster and feels much more nimble with more crisp rolls and turns. The only problem I have had is that it seems to need a little bit of speed on landing approach and my runway at home is a bit short. No big deal, but my boy says my landings are ugly.

Great design, LF. I am hoping it is still in good condition for FTFF. If not,I will have to build another one.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
After a maiden with limited success, this Sat for a month. Over the weekend I repaired the damage and got in the air again. I have run 3 batteries through it now. I am happy to report that it flies really well. It is a totally different experience than my FTMM and my 60% FT Spitfire. It likes to fly faster and feels much more nimble with more crisp rolls and turns. The only problem I have had is that it seems to need a little bit of speed on landing approach and my runway at home is a bit short. No big deal, but my boy says my landings are ugly.

Great design, LF. I am hoping it is still in good condition for FTFF. If not,I will have to build another one.

Cool, nice to hear about another of these flying. What happened on the maiden?

I haven't noticed needing to fly faster on landings, but I haven't tried to fly this one in a tight spot yet and have plenty of room for it to float in. Are you losing control at slow landing speeds or does it stall earlier than expected?

97tj-neil

My only problems on the maiden flight were pilot errors. Ultimately, I ended up doing a nicely executed cartwheel in the grass. Since I decided to put the control horns from the aileron servos up throught the wings, the wings are weakened at the slot and damage easily. I have stripped a couple of servos on my FTMM during landing (the horns are down) and this was an attempt to prevent that. Eliminate one problem, cause another.

I need some more flight time with this one to get a good feel for it. As I said, my biggest problem is the amount of length I have - trees at both ends of the runway require a fast descent to the landing strip and not much time to slow for landing. For some reason, this seems to be more of problem with this plane than with the MM or my 60% Spit. It could just be more pilot error.