Mighty Mini Gloster Gladiator Mk II - Swappable - WWII Biplane Fighter

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
So, the bigger ailerons worked. It now performs like I wanted it too. Fly's nice and slow compared to the other mighty mini warbirds, aerobatics are smooth and easy, and it can fly with a larger range of batteries and motors if you don't mind adding nose weight. In this case, adding weight to the nose is a non issue. You can add a lot of weight and still have excellent wing loading and handling.

I removed all the right thrust from the power pod, and now it doesn't need any rudder trim and is more stable. Apparently biplanes don't need it so much. The extra wing counters torque roll all on its own, right thrust causes issue with a short plane. I may add a bit of down thrust to the pod, as it climbs a bit under throttle. The wing generates quite a bit of lift.

I'll get the plans all cleaned up and post a version that should be safe for building.

Here's the flight with the changes. There was a good deal more wind than yesterday, but I stuck a 1000mAh 3s battery in it, and it handled very well for it's size.

Centus

I liked your video, great work on the landing!
Looks like a great flying design, worthy of the Gladiator. Well done!

kacknor

Build another!
So, the bigger ailerons worked. It now performs like I wanted it too. Fly's nice and slow compared to the other mighty mini warbirds, aerobatics are smooth and easy, and it can fly with a larger range of batteries and motors if you don't mind adding nose weight. In this case, adding weight to the nose is a non issue. You can add a lot of weight and still have excellent wing loading and handling.

I removed all the right thrust from the power pod, and now it doesn't need any rudder trim and is more stable. Apparently biplanes don't need it so much. The extra wing counters torque roll all on its own, right thrust causes issue with a short plane. I may add a bit of down thrust to the pod, as it climbs a bit under throttle. The wing generates quite a bit of lift.

I'll get the plans all cleaned up and post a version that should be safe for building.

Here's the flight with the changes. There was a good deal more wind than yesterday, but I stuck a 1000mAh 3s battery in it, and it handled very well for it's size.

That was very nice. You did nail that landing localfiend! The roll rate is spot on for the aircraft I think. The 1000 3s seem to work well. Bet it would calm down real nice with a 460 indoors. Waiting on the plans, I and put it in the build cue. It's a bit backed up right now. Basicly getting to the point where something has to retire so I have room for the next... Life IS good.

JD

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I liked your video, great work on the landing!
Looks like a great flying design, worthy of the Gladiator. Well done!

That was very nice. You did nail that landing localfiend! The roll rate is spot on for the aircraft I think. The 1000 3s seem to work well. Bet it would calm down real nice with a 460 indoors. Waiting on the plans, I and put it in the build cue. It's a bit backed up right now. Basicly getting to the point where something has to retire so I have room for the next... Life IS good.

JD

Thanks guys. Sometimes I get lucky in the wind. A good percentage of the time when it's windy I end up in the sagebrush or the pine tree to the right. :D

I have been holding off on completing the plans as I wanted to test it with some down thrust first. Did that test today and it still likes to climb a bit on throttle, though it does glide really well for a biplane. I think the wing just generates a lot of lift, which is great for lightweight indoor stuff.

I think I'll be cleaning up the plans and releasing it with the wings as is, though I'll also be building another with a different set for outdoor flying.

kacknor

Build another!
After posting last night about my lack of room and holding off on new flying stuff, just 7.5 hours later I pull the trigger on a new Durafly Tundra.

Hello, I'm JD and I'm a RC addict.

Don't worry, I rearranged the 'Hanger' to make more room and everything is going to be OK now...

JD

kacknor

Build another!
Thanks guys. Sometimes I get lucky in the wind. A good percentage of the time when it's windy I end up in the sagebrush or the pine tree to the right. :D

I have been holding off on completing the plans as I wanted to test it with some down thrust first. Did that test today and it still likes to climb a bit on throttle, though it does glide really well for a biplane. I think the wing just generates a lot of lift, which is great for lightweight indoor stuff.

I think I'll be cleaning up the plans and releasing it with the wings as is, though I'll also be building another with a different set for outdoor flying.

Now that I have more room, I'll be downloading the plans as soon as they are ready. Build is moved to spot #3, behind the Tundra and a Gorilla Glue over hot glue / 1806 powered / printed skin test build of a Mini Sportster.

JD

Sneak Peek:
peak.jpg

97tj-neil

Well, there goes any further development on either my mini AT-6 or my Champ for the near future. I will most likely be building one of these this weekend.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Now that I have more room, I'll be downloading the plans as soon as they are ready. Build is moved to spot #3, behind the Tundra and a Gorilla Glue over hot glue / 1806 powered / printed skin test build of a Mini Sportster.

JD

Sneak Peek:
View attachment 62550

Cool man. We've been needing some more people making skins. I need to build a sportster at some point, my build list is so long...

Well, there goes any further development on either my mini AT-6 or my Champ for the near future. I will most likely be building one of these this weekend.

Haha. Didn't mean to mess with anyone plans. :cool:

I'll try and get the plans all cleaned up before the weekend.

kacknor

Build another!
Cool man. We've been needing some more people making skins. I need to build a sportster at some point, my build list is so long...

Haha. Didn't mean to mess with anyone plans. :cool:

I'll try and get the plans all cleaned up before the weekend.

Ha! Tundra here tomorrow. No rush man, no rush. ;)

Those skin they have been 'playing with' are awesome. No fiddly around dead hot girl pictures, rivets, panels lines, recreations of historic warbird stuff. I've not close to skillz for that.

JD

Last edited:
Impressive work! Thank you localfiend. This is on my list after my Storch and mini Storch. To much to build and not enough time. :(

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
If anyone is building one of these, I haven't been able to get pictures uploaded for the rest of the build, so I thought I'd just add a few pointers:

Use the flat side of the power pod, this plane does not like right thrust.

When doing your nose cone, don't apply glue to the outer edges of the discs, it's hard to sand that way. Keep all the glue away from the outer edges.

Also, keep your wings parallel with each other and with the horizontal stabilizer. You don't want different incidences between those three. The bottom wing should be pretty easy as it just slots in, but the top wing needs a good eye even with the wing stagger gauges.

Traveler_67

Painting paper

I know painting posterboard works. Anyone tried to paint paper?

I've used Model Master rattle cans on a few of my FT builds with great success (didn't use minwax or anything else before painting). Used Olive Drab on my Bronco, Blue Angel Blue on my MM Corsair & flat black on my Bloody Baron.

All came out great, but I like the effect on the Bronco the best, as I used light coats to intentionally NOT get even coverage, so now it has a kind of camouflage/weathered look.

I used Model Master as I have a few plastic kits that have been doing nothing but taking up space & collecting dust since I started building RC aircraft last winter. Tried it on some scrap with no bad effects, and haven't seen any show up since I painted the Corsair (my first paint job) over two months ago.

I love your plans, LocalFiend, and will be building a few as I get better building skills, especially the Gladiator & the Zeros.

The Bronco was my second FT build.

Attachments

• 20160306_170417.jpg
    20160306_170417.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I've used Model Master rattle cans on a few of my FT builds with great success (didn't use minwax or anything else before painting). Used Olive Drab on my Bronco, Blue Angel Blue on my MM Corsair & flat black on my Bloody Baron.

I wonder if that stuff has a different propellant. I've never had much luck spray painting, even light coats, on untreated standard DTF.

I really like the water based Minwax Polycrylic though. The oil based Minwax is too much of a pain. It makes hot glue come undone, and you have to sand the plane down as it seems to raise up fibers from the paper.

I've been thinking about making a medium sized Gladiator for float flying. I already have this mini, and the big 42.5" version. A 30-32" wingspan version could be awesome on floats with a C power pack.

Michael9865

Elite member
I wonder if that stuff has a different propellant. I've never had much luck spray painting, even light coats, on untreated standard DTF.

I really like the water based Minwax Polycrylic though. The oil based Minwax is too much of a pain. It makes hot glue come undone, and you have to sand the plane down as it seems to raise up fibers from the paper.

I've been thinking about making a medium sized Gladiator for float flying. I already have this mini, and the big 42.5" version. A 30-32" wingspan version could be awesome on floats with a C power pack.

30-32 would be a nice size.

Geezah

Your taste in aircraft is very similar to mine

Great work on all of the builds I have seen of yours so far.
I am getting back into the hobby after a long hiatus broken only by some E-flite foamies over the last two years.
As I acquire equipment like motors, escs, and all of the sundry accessories for scratch building, I have been hunting for plans for building interesting aircraft and have found plans for Gladiators, PBYs and zero float planes. since they are all based on older balsa models, I am just looking for dimensions, wing shapes, and important things like CG.
New radio and receivers will be here shortly and I have the DTFB waiting for me to decide what to build. I know that I want to build a foam version of the P-26 Peashooter but I suspect that I will need a good deal of practice building before attempting that one.
Great job on your plans and decals. I look forward to your next adventures.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Cool. Good to know there are others out there that like the oddball stuff. I have a lot of weird planes on my design list.

The Peashooter is an awesome looking plane. I started one as a test for wing strength. Didn't get any further than the wings and landing gear though. I need to get back to it sometime.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?24959-Let-s-play-a-game-What-plane-is-this

Depending on accurate you want to be, you're probably right, it's a better 2nd or third foamboard build.

Geezah

too true

Cool. Good to know there are others out there that like the oddball stuff. I have a lot of weird planes on my design list.

The Peashooter is an awesome looking plane. I started one as a test for wing strength. Didn't get any further than the wings and landing gear though. I need to get back to it sometime.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?24959-Let-s-play-a-game-What-plane-is-this

Depending on accurate you want to be, you're probably right, it's a better 2nd or third foamboard build.
I think based on the short fuselage and wingspan, making it close to scale in appearance would make it quite a handful on approach and landing, lightweight foam or not. Just because it is my fave at every museum I have seen it at, doesn't mean I need to build it right now.
There are just too many cool aircraft out there that need to be built in foam! P-61 Black Widow anyone?