Mighty Mini guinea

FishbonesAir

I built three Mini Guineas. One for myself and one with each of my sons.

Ours also had lemming tendencies, but mostly due to the failure prone TowerPro 5g servos from ValueHobby that we used. Never use those! Each Mini Guinea uses five servos, so out of fifteen servos, we had four go bad within the first few flights. My sons rudder servo went out before the first flight. I had one aileron servo go out on my other sons and one on mine, both causing crashes. Lastly, my sons cargo drop servo has intermittent failures. It was an exciting day when we maidened all three. 😂

After resolving that, they fly pretty well, although twitchier than you would expect with the recommended throw and expo rates. Even low throw is too much, particularly on the ailerons. I would guess that about half the recommended low throw rates and maybe 40% expo would work well. I’m trying that next time we fly.

The other issue we had was the front landing gear. On any moderately hard landing, the paint sticks securing the front landing gear break loose. I just designed a 3d printed insert that will slide into the pocket above the landing gear that will replace the paint sticks. It will have about 5x the surface area for gluing to the foam. I’ll post plans for that when I’m done.

One other comment is that the replaceable nose is wonderful. It acts as a crumple zone and it’s relatively effective! I had nose down crashes with two of my planes and was amazed that the nose was a complete loss, but the rest of the plane had barely a scratch. Genius!

I've stripped out two FT 5g servos in my MG, both in the wings. The tail ones are still going strong. I got a couple of metal gear 5.6g servos I'm going to try in the next Mini Guinea.

Here's what I did on nose wheel. Flash Hobby 5010 servo from Amazon. I have two of these, the other is on the nosegear of my F-22. Similar setup, and they just live on. 🤷‍♂️ They get beat to death by my excuse for "landings." I gave um 5 Stars on Amazon. 😆

I think I want to try your printed solution though!

BTW, you can "uncrunch" the nose 6-12 times before it looks truly atrocious and must be replaced. If you're cheap & lazy like me. 😁

20231012_123902_resize_89.jpg 20231012_123941_resize_12.jpg 20231012_124005_resize_52.jpg 20231012_124049_resize_88.jpg

Foamforce

I’m “done” with it now. I’m pretty happy with how it fits. I replaced the landing gear box because my old one was pretty torn up. The printed part fits in really nicely and there was a lot of surface area for gluing. I haven’t tried flying with it yet, but it feels strong. The front landing gear is also straighter and rotates more easily than it did before. I’m hopeful that this will work well.

I’d be happy if you tested it too! I’ll upload the file to resources and link it here.

Attachments

• IMG_3675.jpeg
    IMG_3675.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3677.jpeg
    IMG_3677.jpeg
    940 KB · Views: 0

Foamforce

The “404” in the URL threw me off, I thought there was an error. Turns out that this was just the 404th resource submitted. 😂

But yeah, it was approved this morning. If you try it out, please let me know how it goes!

FishbonesAir

I’m “done” with it now. I’m pretty happy with how it fits. I replaced the landing gear box because my old one was pretty torn up. The printed part fits in really nicely and there was a lot of surface area for gluing. I haven’t tried flying with it yet, but it feels strong. The front landing gear is also straighter and rotates more easily than it did before. I’m hopeful that this will work well.

I’d be happy if you tested it too! I’ll upload the file to resources and link it here.

FishbonesAir

Do you know the weight of the piece?

Foamforce

I got a chance to test out the printed wheel reinforcement yesterday and it did the trick. We have three mini Guineas and the front wheel held up yesterday on all of them, even through my sons’ rough landings.

However, one of them hit hard enough that it bent a different part instead. The “pod” that sticks out the front of the fuselage and holds the front wheel creased a little right in front of where it exits the fuselage. Fortunately, that just bent back into shape and we kept flying.

FishbonesAir

I got a chance to test out the printed wheel reinforcement yesterday and it did the trick. We have three mini Guineas and the front wheel held up yesterday on all of them, even through my sons’ rough landings.

However, one of them hit hard enough that it bent a different part instead. The “pod” that sticks out the front of the fuselage and holds the front wheel creased a little right in front of where it exits the fuselage. Fortunately, that just bent back into shape and we kept flying.

I shall print one at the Library, then put it to the Ultimate Test: a Fishbones Air Landing(tm)!

Capt Fishbones

Foamforce

Some kinda plastic wing guard for your Mini Guinea?
Close! It’s a reinforcement for the ends of the horizontal stabilizer where it always gets bent. It covers the part that gets creased and also goes a little ways up the stabilizer end to keep that straight too. I’m tweaking it a little yet.

Unrelated to that, my younger son’s wing started to fold on both sides right where the little access door is. I looked at mine and my older son’s Mini Guinea and see that ours have light creases there too. It looks like a weak spot in the design. The spar is only a few inches in the center and then another few inches at the ends with no spar where it folded. Also, the access door further weakens that spot. I built a new wing with a full length foam spar like the Tiny Trainer and I omitted the access doors. Interestingly, the servos are mounted in the same hole, but now there’s a spar below them. So instead of being attached to the lower surface of the wing, they’re attached to the spar now. I thought I would have to modify something to make that fit, but it’s almost like it was designed this way in the first place and everything fit perfectly. The new wing feels a lot stiffer.

Attachments

• IMG_3689.jpeg
    IMG_3689.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

FishbonesAir

Close! It’s a reinforcement for the ends of the horizontal stabilizer where it always gets bent. It covers the part that gets creased and also goes a little ways up the stabilizer end to keep that straight too. I’m tweaking it a little yet.

Unrelated to that, my younger son’s wing started to fold on both sides right where the little access door is. I looked at mine and my older son’s Mini Guinea and see that ours have light creases there too. It looks like a weak spot in the design. The spar is only a few inches in the center and then another few inches at the ends with no spar where it folded. Also, the access door further weakens that spot. I built a new wing with a full length foam spar like the Tiny Trainer and I omitted the access doors. Interestingly, the servos are mounted in the same hole, but now there’s a spar below them. So instead of being attached to the lower surface of the wing, they’re attached to the spar now. I thought I would have to modify something to make that fit, but it’s almost like it was designed this way in the first place and everything fit perfectly. The new wing feels a lot stiffer.
Oh, sweet! Yah, I know exactly how the spot. 🙄