Mighty Mini guinea

Bifi.baarlo

care package got here yesterday and I put 4 wheels on it, hoping to take it up again.
I have a mini guinea pig downscaled 65%, 85% and 100%, and a guinea pig 100% and one upscaled 150%, all with 4 wheels, they are very stable and easy to fly planes, don't worry or be nervous again, double check everything before flying and nothing can go wrong. good luck!
IMG_20200412_094518_1.jpg

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
This makes me want to build it.
Where's the MM Guinea thread or did you just scale it? I thought it was only full sized

bennmar02

Maiden flight of this mini guinea cardboard plane ended after five minutes in the water. One motor stopped working and I was not able to save it from water. Have to build it again...

Attachments

• IMG_20201111_163252.jpg
    IMG_20201111_163252.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Maiden flight of this mini guinea cardboard plane ended after five minutes in the water. One motor stopped working and I was not able to save it from water. Have to build it again...
Too bad about the crash! How did it fly before the motor quit?

CorsaiRC

It flew beautiful. I was really disappoiinted. It can be difficult to find the richt balance with the mini’s because of the heavier Build weight, but the guinea has his wing far back, so there is enough space.
Was the motor under too much load?

FishbonesAir

No, I don't use stabilisation on any of my planes, the mini guinea is a very stable plane without stabilisation, even in very strong wind.
Oh how I wish you could have seen my MG's many suicide attempts. I'm pretty sure it had a strong latent Lemming DNA.

Foamforce

I built three Mini Guineas. One for myself and one with each of my sons.

Ours also had lemming tendencies, but mostly due to the failure prone TowerPro 5g servos from ValueHobby that we used. Never use those! Each Mini Guinea uses five servos, so out of fifteen servos, we had four go bad within the first few flights. My sons rudder servo went out before the first flight. I had one aileron servo go out on my other sons and one on mine, both causing crashes. Lastly, my sons cargo drop servo has intermittent failures. It was an exciting day when we maidened all three. 😂

After resolving that, they fly pretty well, although twitchier than you would expect with the recommended throw and expo rates. Even low throw is too much, particularly on the ailerons. I would guess that about half the recommended low throw rates and maybe 40% expo would work well. I’m trying that next time we fly.

The other issue we had was the front landing gear. On any moderately hard landing, the paint sticks securing the front landing gear break loose. I just designed a 3d printed insert that will slide into the pocket above the landing gear that will replace the paint sticks. It will have about 5x the surface area for gluing to the foam. I’ll post plans for that when I’m done.

One other comment is that the replaceable nose is wonderful. It acts as a crumple zone and it’s relatively effective! I had nose down crashes with two of my planes and was amazed that the nose was a complete loss, but the rest of the plane had barely a scratch. Genius!

Attachments

• IMG_3674.jpeg
    IMG_3674.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0