Mighty Mini Master Series Spitfire

whackflyer

Master member
@Grifflyer I have a feeling I might be building this plane after you release the plans! Should be fun on a 2205/2600kv racerstar and a 5x4.5x3... what 5g servos do you use? I'm having a hard time finding some I don't always break gears on.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
For some reason, I spray painted my plane and wherever there is foam the paint dried flat black like it's supposed to, but on any exposed glue or the tape on the leading edge of the wing it dried glossy. Does anyone know how to fix this? If I can't fix it I'll have to sand it off and go for a different scheme.

mach1 rc

Master member
For some reason, I spray painted my plane and wherever there is foam the paint dried flat black like it's supposed to, but on any exposed glue or the tape on the leading edge of the wing it dried glossy. Does anyone know how to fix this? If I can't fix it I'll have to sand it off and go for a different scheme.
I have that problem with white foam board but on brown it seems to gloss like the rest of the plane.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Alright I did some tests and it looks like the only way to even out the glossiness is to put a coat of minwax under the paint, so I sanded off as much paint as I could, and now I'm going to put down a coat of minwax and then I'll apply another coat of paint.

Guy S.

Alright I did some tests and it looks like the only way to even out the glossiness is to put a coat of minwax under the paint, so I sanded off as much paint as I could, and now I'm going to put down a coat of minwax and then I'll apply another coat of paint.
Do you ever have any warping issues when you paint, or minwax?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Alright the paint job ended up being pretty bad, I let it dry overnight and when I came back a bunch of the paper wrinkled even though I applied minwax before painting and I used very light coats like I've always done. I took it out to fly and it flew great but I needed nose weight to get it to balance properly, I did a quick test and if I extend the nose to match a Mk24 it will still be tail heavy, so my only option is to redesign the fuse to make the battery box extend past the wing.
I'm really bummed out at the moment, and I don't want to rush back into this and mess something up, so I'm going to take a break on this project until my christmas break. In the meantime I'm going to finish up my Shrubsmacker so I can start flying in snow, start work on a P-51B for the Mustang group build and get more work done on the EDF Alpha that @The Hangar is so desperately waiting for:ROFLMAO:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Latest fuse has been built! The battery box now extends as far forward as possible without running into the motor.
IMG_20200102_212829556.jpg