Mighty Mini Mitsubishi A6M Zero Swappable - Build Thread

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
That's a nice looking pair! Great work kamikazepy!

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
ClearCanopyBuild-9_zpsmgenrraw.jpg
[/URL]

That's just beautiful. Nice work! Now you know whats next. A full paper cockpit! Gotta have something to show off inside that canopy. ;)

GregC540i

Thank you so much. I will order the tranparency film sheets from amazon. Meanwhile, my #2 hatch stiil is in perfect condition and will reuse that. I'm almost finished putting it together. I did put the 9g servo into the fuse for the elevator. I did use a small 2mm dia CF rod to secure the LT and RT ELE like I did before. I tried to use less extreme tape to reinforce the plane (personal insurance comfort for me :) ). I just have to glue the tail assembly tonight and she is ready to start the painting process. I should have the plane completed Sunday night. Monday morning looks like a good morning to fly with low winds in my area so I look forward to maidening her then.

I will double check the CG this time. I did punch a small hole with a BBQ skewer to help indicate its location. I measured it before folding the wing and it was 1.25". I have some 6x4 props coming in today and i'll have all I need to complete the plane!

It was bugging me that I was not as successful with your great design. I hope #3 will fly just as good as yours! I'll keep you posted!

Oh, in your plans, I noticed the wings are both labeled Right--just to be picky!

Greg

The Alpine Ace

those old Japanese planes were just as fragile as these foam board planes... but geeze were they maneuverable.
Beatiful looking plane though! It looks awesome! Now all we need is a Bf-109 and we can have some Mighty Mini dogfights!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Nice work, LocalFiend. I have been cleaning up the plans for the canopy on my mini AT-6 and will be adding a few of these features. I really like the idea of using tabs. I have been using clear packaging tape to attach mine, but this looks much cleaner.

I have previously used clear soda bottles for canopies and found out quickly that you cannot use hot glue on them - the heat instantly warps the plastic. I take it you haven't had any issues with the transparency film?

I bought some transpareny film on Amazon and made the canopy for my mini Mustang using the plan posted on the thread from Rasterize, but used tape instead of glue. I guess I need to make another now trying the hot glue.
912517F4-C577-482B-9693-245E7B4B4B15_zpsnc6ybov3.jpg

Packing tape works, and for something like the mustang might be better than tabs. I played around a bit with tabs for the mustang, but it sits differently on the hatch than the Zero canopy, and a such, is really easy to just glue or tape down while still looking good.

Your AT6 though will benifit from tabs I think. The canopy sits more up top, and slots could be cleaner.

As far as heat goes, the laser printer transparency film doesn't have a problem. It's designed to have ink melted onto it, and stands much higher temps just running through the printer. Maybe the inkjet or non printable versions will have issues. Dunno. Someone will have to test it. Low heat hot glue would probably work if you added a little scoring to where the glue goes.

These two are a blast to fly, slow low passes with the corsair and kamikaze dives with the zero :p
Yours are a work of art I dont spend too much time making them pretty, always in a hurry to get them in the air :)

They all look great once they're in the air. Those two a nicer than most of my FT planes. I painted up my last couple mostly for testing purposes. Usually my planes are white, coated with decals, or just packing tape. :D

That's just beautiful. Nice work! Now you know whats next. A full paper cockpit! Gotta have something to show off inside that canopy. ;)

Yeah, I know. Got some more graphics drawn up for it, but I'm so busy right now it's hard to find the time for building. It'l happen eventually.

Oh, in your plans, I noticed the wings are both labeled Right--just to be picky!

Greg

Thanks, I'll get those fixed. Probably combine improved canopy with the plans at the same time.

those old Japanese planes were just as fragile as these foam board planes... but geeze were they maneuverable.
Beatiful looking plane though! It looks awesome! Now all we need is a Bf-109 and we can have some Mighty Mini dogfights!

Someone was supposed to be building one, don't remember who though. I suppose if it doesn't happen soon I may draw one up.

kamikazepy

Zero

That's a nice looking pair! Great work kamikazepy!

Thanks, I took both to the park yesterday and my brother in law and 2 nephews wanted to try them...well I started building a new corsair this morning ( with folding wings this time 😁) and I will make another zero during the week too. We did have a lot of fun.

SheppO

Doesn't sound like it's a big deal. Guess I'll wait for you to post the new plans before I go forward. I have some art I was using from an old project of mine that translated over well which is why I got this out so fast. A micro Spitfire would be fun too. Got plans for it? :)

I was planning on spending my week vacation with family and working on the P51. Work has destroyed these dreams quite nicely.
I really enjoy taking folks plans/planes and dressing them up. Yeah I could design these things for a living if I could live off of designing these things. Know what I mean?

I'm working on a mighty mini spit based on the mini speedster plans - no proof it flies yet . ; -) search for IKEA box spitfire - I'm inching closer to a maiden AUW is 170g with a 2s 500mA on board .

GregC540i

Localfiend: Success! She flew nice. First hand toss resulted in it wing tip/torqued over, but there was no damage. My buddy helped me throw it again, but this time with full throttle and it flew out of his hands. It required a little bit of down elevator and it was tracking nice! I flew it with a second battery and it was just as nice! Sweetness and Success! I flew it with an 850mah 3s 25C Zippy Compact battery. I set the timer at 6min and had about 40% left on the battery. I flew it mostly at 60-80% throttle most of the time.

My original motor just didn't make it from all the previous crashes. The shaft got bent. I recently bought an emax 2206-1900kv motor and I paired it with another 6x4 prop. It was fast, but I think the previous motor made it fly faster. I did notice that when belly landing it, it has a tendency to wing tip stall. So, I tried to keep the power on just a bit before landing.

I painted it all nice like the previous one (#2).
IMG_3673.JPG IMG_3674.JPG IMG_3676.JPG IMG_3677.JPG IMG_3678.JPG IMG_3679.JPG

Thank you for a wonderful plane!

GregC

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Localfiend: Success! She flew nice. First hand toss resulted in it wing tip/torqued over, but there was no damage. My buddy helped me throw it again, but this time with full throttle and it flew out of his hands. It required a little bit of down elevator and it was tracking nice! I flew it with a second battery and it was just as nice! Sweetness and Success! I flew it with an 850mah 3s 25C Zippy Compact battery. I set the timer at 6min and had about 40% left on the battery. I flew it mostly at 60-80% throttle most of the time.

My original motor just didn't make it from all the previous crashes. The shaft got bent. I recently bought an emax 2206-1900kv motor and I paired it with another 6x4 prop. It was fast, but I think the previous motor made it fly faster. I did notice that when belly landing it, it has a tendency to wing tip stall. So, I tried to keep the power on just a bit before landing.

Excellent, it looks great! Glad to hear it flew well for you.

Yeah, your other motor would have made it faster, but the one you have sounds like it helped out on battery life.

I've found that most planes that are more heavily loaded need the throttle on longer while landing. Looks like your build ended up being about 30 grams heavier than my last one. Tip stalls happen more easily the heavier you are, that's probably why you needed more power.

joca1951

Eu achei o projeto muito bom! eu só acho que deveria ter mais detalhes sobre a montagem, uma filmagem por exemplo.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Sim, é um avião muito bom! Eu acho que deve ser muito fácil de construir, basta olhar para alguns outros vídeos de compilação dos rapazes de flitetest.

camkmm

Build Instructions

I have your plans with which I am very impressed. I am trying to build this airplane and am unsure of a couple of the parts and how they assemble. Do you have any assembly instructions or build video. It would be of great assistance to me in the building of the plane. Any assistance you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Best Regards,
Charlie

fahrulmashabi

im already build this one, but when iltry to thrust my plane just didnt want to go straight, it tend to forward just like the thrust angle side, should i remove the thrust angle and make it straight to front? ( make the thrust angle 0° )