Admin
Mentor
Mighty Mini MkIII - Build

MIGHTY MINI MkIII

Mighty Mini Sized Bloody Wonder MkIII

bloodybaron-7-png_1439834433.jpg
Baby Baron next to the Mighty Mini MkIII

DETAILS

This is my second Mighty Mini sized plane. It uses the same power setup as the FT Mighty Mini series, and can use the same power pod as the Mini Scout and Mini Speedster. Like the Bloody Wonder MkIII, the mini will include the different tail configurations.​

PLANS

2017.12.04 : XF Mini Mk III v0.4 <--- BETA

SPECIFICATIONS

WINGSPAN:16.75 inmm
LENGTH:15 inmm
WING AREA:TBD in2dm2
WEIGHT (AUW):TBD oz.g
WING LOADING:TBD oz./ft2g/dm2
WCL:TBD
CHANNELS:3
CONTROLS:Aileron, Elevator, Throttle

ELECTRONICS

MOTOR:Emax MT 1804
ESC:Turnigy Plush 12amp
BATTERY:450-800 mah 2S/3S
PROPELLER:6 X 5 SF (GWS EP 6050)
SERVOS:2 X 5g (hekTronix HXT500)

SETTINGS
Ailerons : 40% Expo : 50%
Elevator : 40% Expo : 50%

IMAGES

FLIGHT VIDEO

BUILD LOG

Materials

Tile your plans together and prepare them for transferring to your foam board

If you think you might make more than one of these planes, you may want to consider making some poster board templates. Complete instructions for making them can be found in my article DIY Poster Board Templates.

20150809_223324.jpg

All the parts for the Mighy Mini MkIII take up less than 1 sheet of 20 X 30 foam board.

20150809_231246.jpg

More build details coming soon.

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Two hour build start to finish including electronics. Not the best looking build I have ever done, but hey, it's a prototype right? ;) Going camping with the family this weekend and taking both of these little minis with me. Hope to have a flight report and maiden video for you guys after this weekend.

20150820_003246.jpg

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
mmmkiii ?

Off and on all day but got the airframe done. More than 2 hours but less than 3 (guessing). One #11 exacto.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I used ROSS foamboard from Walmart. The airframe weight is about 70g. I sealed all exposed edges with a thin smear of hot glue for durability.

I made two mistakes thus far, both minor.
I didn't reverse the side the tab slot was on one vertical stabilizer, so the tab is all the way through one vstab.
I cut through the paper on the center wing fold bevel. Sealed it with some extra hotglue.

Used nearly all of a 4" glue stick(1/2") and most likely use the rest installing servos.
Will figure out power pod(s) configurations tomorrow.

Planning on a paint scheme of some sort with rattle cans on hand. TBD

Last edited:

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
That wsa fast!

I put one together and it happened so fast I forgot to take build pictures. Doh!!!

Here it is just the foam assembled.

DSC01820.JPG DSC01822.JPG

Then we put the electronics in it.

DSC01824.JPG DSC01825.JPG

The aileron servo is a 5g and the elevator is a 3g. The motor is a 10g 2000Kv on a 6A ESC with a 5x5 prop (not that it matters because the wires broke off the motor as I was working on it and now it is dead).

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Ha. Red is the way to go I guess. Did a real quick rattle can job just so it showed up well. Put it on too thick as a one coat job and it wrinkled a bit.

image.jpg
image.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Wow guys. Nice progress on your builds. I just got back from a camping excursion with my family. Brought the Mini MkIII and the Baby Baron, but it was 20-30 mph winds the whole time we were there. Really windy at home today too. So, no test flights for me to report yet.

T-Richard

can i beta test?

I can build and fly pretty quickly and I have some servos and a micro power pod all ready to go. I am bored of the tiny trainer!

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
No test flights for me either. My wife had a chemo treatment which kept me at the house, which gave me time to build but not fly. Then it rained when she was feeling better Sunday. Hope to get it in the air next weekend.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
No test flights for me either. My wife had a chemo treatment which kept me at the house, which gave me time to build but not fly. Then it rained when she was feeling better Sunday. Hope to get it in the air next weekend.

Really sorry to hear about your wife Aaron. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

No worries about the maiden, family first, always. I haven't had a chance or the weather to maiden mine yet either. Wednesday and Thursday looks like the weather might finally break here though. Fingers crossed.