Mighty "Mini" PBY-5A Catalina - WWII Flying Boat

Homey

Elite member
3rd build in 6 weeks. Mirage 2000, F22 and now, for something completely different.... The Mighty Mini PBY Catalina.
Fuse started tonight.

Peter

Homey

Elite member
More on the fuse plus stabs.
Fun build!

Peter
20201229_185501.jpg

Homey

Elite member
What can you see? (besides the crappy pilot) I thought maybe esc, but I came home and ran them up and down for a couple of minutes and they were equal.
Maybe best to replace both to make sure? They are just cheapos and mess up intermittently? That's my guess. Thoughts?

Peter

Homey

Elite member
What can you see? (besides the crappy pilot) I thought maybe esc, but I came home and ran them up and down for a couple of minutes and they were equal.
Maybe best to replace both to make sure? They are just cheapos and mess up intermittently? That's my guess. Thoughts?

Peter
So maybe it's this stuff:
- uneven dihedral
- the fact the motors are so close together (although the props are contra-rotating)
- not enough vertical stabilization? Maybe add wingtip canards?
- the fact the angle of attack of the wing is so pronounced in design?
- maybe I have to fly faster and leave the throttle alone?
I just don't know! I'll try all the design stuff I can and let you know. If you have any ideas or thoughts, I'd really appreciate it.

Homey

Elite member
I'd wager it's GC.
Tape a coin to the nose and see if it flies better.
(I mean the plane's nose):p
Lol. Thanks! You know, I'm already flying it a bit nose heavy, but because the wings have a few degree angle of attack, this makes sense. I think I'll push the battery forward a bit more.

Peter

Homey

Elite member
Had to get out, even though it was windy and cold..... cabin fever!

Peter
Going back in this thread, I had some problems and bounced around a lot of ideas I got here.
It ended up being a low transmitter battery! So stupid..... range disappeared! Lol