Mighty "Mini" PBY-5A Catalina - WWII Flying Boat

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Almost finished with a scaled up version of this PBY Catalina at 120” wing span.

Wow! Is that a one-piece permanently attached wing? Curious about your transport solution - or even how you get it out of the workshop at that size :D

cgoffroad

I am blessed with double French doors behind my workspace and 207 acres of deer farm to fly. So yes it is hard mounted. I am waiting on the final build weight to work in the motor and battery selection. The nose has an HD fisheye camera and a transmitter built in the vert stab. I have problems with hunters trespassing on the game farm. This should help spot problem areas.

d8veh

Elite member
I have problems with hunters trespassing on the game farm. This should help spot problem areas.
I love it. There are other guys controlling their planes with 4g and travelling more than 10 miles. With one of those, you'd be able to check the whole estate from your bedroom. An infra red camera would be cool too. You could then even check at nighttime:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I love it. There are other guys controlling their planes with 4g and travelling more than 10 miles. With one of those, you'd be able to check the whole estate from your bedroom. An infra red camera would be cool too. You could then even check at nighttime:

That video? Honestly. That's scary Shiat when you think about it.

Photo001

cgoffroad,

Would you happen to have plans available that you used for your super PBY that you would be willing to post?

Thanks,

Photo

Just finished my Mini Catalina, the most complicated build I've done so far. First twin engine too. Still things to do like paint and stuff. Decked it totally in water resistant foam instead of poster board. She's not pretty but she's mine. Will post photos later after maiden.

GabeBrown

Will there be a build log for the giant PBY? if there isn't is there anything to note when scaling up the plans? also what motors would you recommend for the giant PBY, seeing as 2218 motors are too small.

Tench745

Master member
Can anyone make a closer step by step tutorial, or even a build video? I would really appreciate it since I’m stuck on some of the parts
It's not entirely obvious where everything goes, but between the pictures on pages 3 and 4 of this thread, and having the pieces in front of you, I'll bet you can figure out where most, if not all, the formers go.
The tower looks like it has a central pylon that sets the distance between a top and bottom plate on the pylon. Then the outer skin wraps around that.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
This is so cool!

Me and a group of friends actually know the location of a broken down catalina that we plan to someday get airworthy. Hopefully, it'll be a party style plane, with a disco ball and a coffee maker included.

Maybe I'll have to settle for the RC version.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Battery800

Elite member
It's not entirely obvious where everything goes, but between the pictures on pages 3 and 4 of this thread, and having the pieces in front of you, I'll bet you can figure out where most, if not all, the formers go.
The tower looks like it has a central pylon that sets the distance between a top and bottom plate on the pylon. Then the outer skin wraps around that.
My main concern is that I don’t think he ever made a final version so the newer parts aren’t the same as the latest plans. Also I can’t seem to find how the hatch goes together

Battery800

Elite member
My parts don’t seem to match up

Attachments

• 389B63A3-3BB1-4B05-AE32-095072303851.jpeg
    389B63A3-3BB1-4B05-AE32-095072303851.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Tench745

Master member
Okay, so here's what I've got. It looks like a couple sub-assemblies.
IMG_1330.JPG
First sub-assembly is parts A, B, and C. The long side of support A points aft. Support C has the cutout to allow the wires to pass up the pylon and makes up the top of the Assembly. This assembly glues down to the top of the fuselage between the curves for the tower base.
IMG_1332.JPG
The outer skin of the pylon, labeled "Wing Tower," wraps around this sub-assembly and glues into the slots of the fuselage.
IMG_1331.JPG IMG_1333.JPG

The next sub-assembly is tower supports D,E, and F. E goes in the front, F towards the rear. I'm not positive if they're supposed to mount flush to the top or the bottom of the assembly though.
IMG_1334.JPG

My best guess, is that this sub-assembly glues to the inside, top of the pylon to reinforce where the wing will mount.
IMG_1335.JPG

The wing would glue in on top of this. I've only duplicated the relevant portion of the wing for this example. See how Support E blocks the hole in the wing? Makes me thing something here isn't quite right and that support E should maybe have been mounted flush to the bottom of Support D. And there is no way to close the gaping hole in the back of the pylon like this.
IMG_1337.JPG
And if I have any guess the "Center Wing Support" glues inside the wing to reinforce where the slots are cut into the wing to mount the pylon. Line up the holes.
IMG_1338.JPG

That's what I've got. Personally, I feel like there's probably enough strength in the "Wing Tower" alone that you could leave out supports A-F and greatly simplify the construction.

Battery800

Elite member
Okay, so here's what I've got. It looks like a couple sub-assemblies.
View attachment 168498
First sub-assembly is parts A, B, and C. The long side of support A points aft. Support C has the cutout to allow the wires to pass up the pylon and makes up the top of the Assembly. This assembly glues down to the top of the fuselage between the curves for the tower base.
View attachment 168500
The outer skin of the pylon, labeled "Wing Tower," wraps around this sub-assembly and glues into the slots of the fuselage.
View attachment 168499 View attachment 168501

The next sub-assembly is tower supports D,E, and F. E goes in the front, F towards the rear. I'm not positive if they're supposed to mount flush to the top or the bottom of the assembly though.
View attachment 168502

My best guess, is that this sub-assembly glues to the inside, top of the pylon to reinforce where the wing will mount.
View attachment 168503

The wing would glue in on top of this. I've only duplicated the relevant portion of the wing for this example. See how Support E blocks the hole in the wing? Makes me thing something here isn't quite right and that support E should maybe have been mounted flush to the bottom of Support D. And there is no way to close the gaping hole in the back of the pylon like this.
View attachment 168505
And if I have any guess the "Center Wing Support" glues inside the wing to reinforce where the slots are cut into the wing to mount the pylon. Line up the holes.
View attachment 168506

That's what I've got. Personally, I feel like there's probably enough strength in the "Wing Tower" alone that you could leave out supports A-F and greatly simplify the construction.
Thank you!