Help! Mighty Mini PBY

Battery800

Elite member
I have no experience with using valspar, but it might work. Maybe test on a scrap piece. and also weigh it, because if it ways much more than minwax it might be worth getting the minwax.
If I get minwax, should I get the spray or the can? I’ll get that instead since it’s proven to work

slowjo

Master member
If I get minwax, should I get the spray or the can? I’ll get that instead since it’s proven to work
I don't have a lot of experience with either, tho I've used both, seams like the spray was water base and the can was NOT water base?!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well in the meantime, I need some advice on how to waterproof.
so as an extra layer of waterproofing on the maker foam, should I go with the spray minwax or valspar?
Can I use corrosion X hd for all the electronics ( except ESC)
How should I waterproof the ESC?
Maker foam isn't as waterproof as the brown FTFB. Float planes work just fine when built out of brown foam. I've used minwax out of the can to waterproof my planes but never tried flying off the water with those planes. For my water planes I just use brown flitetest foamboard.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hey the hangar, do you suggest spray minwax or can one?
I've only tried the minwax in the can, but it's kinda a pain to put on. I did use camp spray once from a can and that was super easy to put on. Using it in a can, you can probably get a better and cleaner covering without runs like you might get with the spray can.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
those brushes that are a block of rough foam with a tip?
I think I have some
Yes - this kind of thing
1590450238584.png

Oldbrass

I don't know if I'm too late to the show to offer any help, but for waterproofing the ESC, I always just put them inside a rubber ballook and ziptied them shut. I haven't built a seaplane before but I have a zillion hours with RC off road cars and the balloon method never once failed me. I like it because it's easily reversable rather than coating in in epoxy. Just my 2 cents.

Battery800

Elite member
I don't know if I'm too late to the show to offer any help, but for waterproofing the ESC, I always just put them inside a rubber ballook and ziptied them shut. I haven't built a seaplane before but I have a zillion hours with RC off road cars and the balloon method never once failed me. I like it because it's easily reversable rather than coating in in epoxy. Just my 2 cents.
I’ve already sealed it up with heat conducting 24 hr epoxy