Help! Mighty Mini PBY

Battery800

Elite member
Since I the thread for the PBY Catalina has not been active, I am posting this here. My issue is that I don’t understand where the formers go and how the tower comes together. Also, how does the hatch assemble? If anyone has built this plane or thinks they can help, please do!
Side question: is the maker foam waterproof enough already, or do I still need to minwax it?

whackflyer

Master member
Since I the thread for the PBY Catalina has not been active, I am posting this here. My issue is that I don’t understand where the formers go and how the tower comes together. Also, how does the hatch assemble? If anyone has built this plane or thinks they can help, please do!
Side question: is the maker foam waterproof enough already, or do I still need to minwax it?
@localfiend's Catalina? I haven't built one but myself and others on this forum will try to help you. Hopefully he will show up and answer. He doesn't appear to be as active on this forum as some but I think he will eventually answer you.

Battery800

Elite member
Well in the meantime, I need some advice on how to waterproof.
so as an extra layer of waterproofing on the maker foam, should I go with the spray minwax or valspar?
Can I use corrosion X hd for all the electronics ( except ESC)
How should I waterproof the ESC?

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
so as an extra layer of waterproofing on the maker foam, should I go with the spray minwax or valspar?
Maker foam should be waterproof once painted.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
You should waterproof the ESC the way Peter did in the waterproofing episode, epoxy.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I put a mini float of my PBY Catalina in The water as a test and the water soaked through after 5 minutes
Maybe recoating it in minwax or brown paper should help, but at that point brown foam board would be lighter, but if you can't get any of that then minwax may be your best option.

Battery800

Elite member
Do you think this would work?
MG Chemicals 8329TCS Thermally Conductive Adhesive - Slow Cure Epoxy, 50 mL, 2-Part Kit
It’s on amazon
For ESC

Last edited:

Battery800

Elite member
I have no experience with using valspar, but it might work. Maybe test on a scrap piece. and also weigh it, because if it ways much more than minwax it might be worth getting the minwax.
It seems that the twin f pack on a 3s has plenty of power, and that weight may actually help it sit lower in the water