Mighty Mini Vampire (Fighter Jet)

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Introduction:
Cheers for checking out this post! This forum thread is dedicated to my Mighty Mini styled deHaviland Vampire design that you can build yourself. It's small, quick to build and only uses 1 sheet of foamboard.

37722409_1915706288452875_5123099486737924096_o.jpg

FREE PLANS
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1r94efzJRkwjw9tPLo3BF4oyK1GnqiaFc
Note: These plans are still undergoing some work so you may find a few things a little off.

SPEC
- Standard pusher race quad motor power such as a 2205 (with possibility to mod with 50mm ducted fan)
- 2s-4s battery
- 3ch (bank and yank)
- 24" wingspan
- 1x sheet of foam board to build
- 6-7 foam board pieces to cut out and glue
- 100mph+ with 4s

PREVIOUS VERSION HISTORY
V0.1
- Large 1000mm version (Summer 2014). Link to Article: https://www.flitetest.com/articles/whomz-vampire-free-plans

V0.2 - Large 1000mm non-scale sport version for max speed.

V1.0 - Mini 610mm version (Winter 2017). Link to article: https://www.flitetest.com/articles/mighty-mini-vampire-free-plans

V1.1 - Updated mini version for better performance and durability (Early 2019).

View attachment PA Vampire 1.1.png

Attachments

• IMG_5739.jpg
    IMG_5739.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • de-havilland-vampire-sharpplane-sharp1950s.jpg
    de-havilland-vampire-sharpplane-sharp1950s.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 25398883_10203957109965502_3210060732632787525_n.jpg
    25398883_10203957109965502_3210060732632787525_n.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 14.10.30.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 14.10.30.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 21.50.05.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 21.50.05.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 22.02.33.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 22.02.33.png
    658.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 21.50.34.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 21.50.34.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
IMG_3958.JPG

Sorry for the terrible photo quality. First steps - a mock up glider in process just to see if the CG, lift and general dimentions work in the real world. Going to finish it and then use it as a chuck glider.

Exciting times!

Oh and here is an old video of the last Vampire to get you pumped. Yeah!

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
I'm in! Are you planning to be able to convert this to an EDF or strictly pusher?

I've never worked with EDF's this small before so nope, probably not right now. Maybe at some point in the future though. I've actually only used one EDF before and that was on a boat :p

Progress tonight has been good but the forum won't let me upload my pics! Grrr.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I wish I could build one right now, but I haven't had much time to build lately, but this is definitely going on my long list of things to build.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I would love to build one but I can't at the moment, it will definitely be added to my long list of things to build.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Fuselage pod coming along:

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 16.15.43.png

Underside showing exposed electronics and the battery bay up front. Going to put a hatch on the underside of the battery compartment as the way you access the battery. My old bigger Vampire had a slide out, very long powerpod that housed the battery up front, but this was super impractical.

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 16.16.52.png

Aaaand a couple of wings ready for folding. Going to have a unique spar setup going on, but more of that later. :)

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 16.17.33.png

Last edited:

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
I would love to build one but I can't at the moment, it will definitely be added to my long list of things to build.

Well, hopefully I make it simple enough to put together that it ends up being a must to build it right away ;) It's going to only take 1 sheet of DTFB too. Yay!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Also something I just noticed with your build, can these wires withstand the current your motor is pulling? They look really small even for something like this.
wires.PNG
Or it could just be the thicker wires fooling my eyes, I'm not entirely sure, but I also don't want this to end up in a flaming ball of fire despite how cool it would be.

jpot1

Elite member
Definitely interested. Looking like no room for the mini power pod? I’m guessing the wing will slot through the motor pod?

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Also something I just noticed with your build, can these wires withstand the current your motor is pulling? They look really small even for something like this.
View attachment 99378
Or it could just be the thicker wires fooling my eyes, I'm not entirely sure, but I also don't want this to end up in a flaming ball of fire despite how cool it would be.

It's been fine in other projects, but I know what you mean. Thanks for the concern :)

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Okay so here is Prototype 1 which hasn't been flown yet. Needs pushrods still installing before then. There are some things I'll be changing on the plans. One is the gap between the top of the wing and the fuselage slot. It's slightly too big. I might also make the vertical stabilisors a little smaller and more scale if it can handle it. I purposely made them slightly larger on this one to compensate.

IMG_3960.JPG

IMG_3962.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 15.10.25.png

It builds pretty fast and seems to tick the box for simplicity even as a twin boom design. The strength of the booms come from BBQ skewers infused into the foam.

It should be pretty quick and lots of fun!

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Just did the maiden and - OMG. This thing rocks! It's such a blast to fly!

I walked down to the field at the bottom of the garden and did a couple of glide tests. All seemed to work pleasingly. It was getting dark with the last of the yellow clouds illuminating the sky, but I decided that there was still enough light. The thing rocketed out of my hand and almost disapeared over the tops of the trees that line the small flying area. I pulled up and watched the little jet power upwards. It tracked perfectly. After a few circuits, I had about four or five attempts at landing it. Eventually it was down. No damage. Success!

Some observations:
- Needs a little more elevator authority on landing to flair. Rates can be set for less authority when in normal flight
- Capable of at least 70-80mph with a 3s.
- Tracks perfectly
- CG spot on
- Very little trimming needed

Right then! On to some slight alterations!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Just did the maiden and - OMG. This thing rocks! It's such a blast to fly!

I walked down to the field at the bottom of the garden and did a couple of glide tests. All seemed to work pleasingly. It was getting dark with the last of the yellow clouds illuminating the sky, but I decided that there was still enough light. The thing rocketed out of my hand and almost disapeared over the tops of the trees that line the small flying area. I pulled up and watched the little jet power upwards. It tracked perfectly. After a few circuits, I had about four or five attempts at landing it. Eventually it was down. No damage. Success!

Some observations:
- Needs a little more elevator authority on landing to flair. Rates can be set for less authority when in normal flight
- Capable of at least 70-80mph with a 3s.
- Tracks perfectly
- CG spot on
- Very little trimming needed

Right then! On to some slight alterations!

Sweet! can't wait to try it on 4s and, did you get a video?