Mighty Mini Vampire (Fighter Jet)

mikej997

This looks awesome! I am working on building one. Any chance you could post some pics of the control system for the elevator? I've been looking at it and have an idea, but don't need to reinvent the wheel here.
I will be using a 2205 motor so it is going to be a screamer! Can't wait!

daspunner

AH it's you! Follow you on YT. It's an icon of a plane here in Sweden. Have been looking for a nice vampire plan for while! Thanks you so much!

Happy X-mas!

/Dave

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
This looks awesome! I am working on building one. Any chance you could post some pics of the control system for the elevator? I've been looking at it and have an idea, but don't need to reinvent the wheel here.
I will be using a 2205 motor so it is going to be a screamer! Can't wait!

Awesome! Yeah sure, I’ll go and take a pic in a moment and then upload it here. The main release on the FT site will have detailed drawings of the elevator control setup, but that will be after Christmas :)

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
AH it's you! Follow you on YT. It's an icon of a plane here in Sweden. Have been looking for a nice vampire plan for while! Thanks you so much!

Happy X-mas!

/Dave

Awesome! Thank you. Yeah it’s a cool plane. I’ve wanted to build one since I saw David Windesals Swedish EDF Version on FT a long while ago. :) post pics of your build as I’d love to see it!

mikej997

image.jpg

I think it is ready. If the weather cooperates tomorrow, I hope to maiden it. I will try to get video or pics of it to post.
Sorry this pic is upside down. My phone and I weren't getting along...

Last edited:

mikej997

So... First flight wasn't that stellar, but the fault was mine not the design. I've got a photo but the video didn't turn out as it was nearly dark by the time the wind slowed enough to have a go.
First, this plane is FAST!!! Holy Cow! I expected it, but actually doing it is different than knowing.

For the build, my software won't allow me to adjust scaling so the tiled print turned a 24" span into a 22" span. The build went well. The ready to fly weight with a 3S 1000maH battery, Emax 2205, and Bheli 30A esc was 278g.

The plane felt heavy with such a small wing span and I was concerned with the fairly small ailerons not having enough authority. The plane hand launched well and at about 60% throttle climbed out at better than 45 degrees like a rocket. I levelled it off and turned it back. The tiny ailerons ( with 30% expo) immediately put it into a barrel roll. I ended up with it toward the setting sun and I couldn't tell which side of the plane was up so I chopped the throttle and watched it hit the ground. The foam was messed up from the battery trying to come through the nose but the rest of the plane was in good shape. I'm going to fix the nose and tune on my radio some this evening to slow down the roll and try again tomorrow.

Overall, this seems to be a great design. It is easy to build and tough if involved in a bad landing (as I've proved). It is VERY responsive and fast! I am looking forward to the full plans for this thing.

Awesome work James!

100_0113smaller.jpg

Last edited:

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Really glad you like the design despite your unfortunate end to the flight! Sorry to hear about that. One of my main aims with the plane was to have it be easy to build so I'm glad I've achieved that.

The speed does make it a little intimidating, but it tracks very well and is stable and predictable. With the roll rate, I crashed one of my bigger vampires due to setting it too high.

Good luck with your next flight and let me know if you have any problems :)

mikej997

The roll rate was unexpected but definitely not uncontrollable and I could have handled it if I wasn't flying in near dark. I know better but was too excited to have a try to wait. I painted the upper surface and left the bottom white so I could easily see orientation. Unfortunately, when I let it get silhouetted if front of the setting sun, I could not see which way it was oriented fast enough to recover.

Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
mikej997 - where did your CG end up? With my wing in, I'm measuring 1" back from the leading edge of the wing. I'm using similar esc, motor to you but with a 3S 850 and if the CG is at the 1" back, I'm not close with the battery I have. Also curious, was your battery all the way forward?

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
mikej997 - where did your CG end up? With my wing in, I'm measuring 1" back from the leading edge of the wing. I'm using similar esc, motor to you but with a 3S 850 and if the CG is at the 1" back, I'm not close with the battery I have. Also curious, was your battery all the way forward?

CG will be on the updated plans but yeah it’s approximately 1” from the leading edge against the fueselage :) A glide test should help determine if you’ve got it right. Let me know if you have any problems.