Mighty Mini Waco CG-4

GliderFlyer

Elite member
I had some extra time today, so I tried taking the Waco out for a real launch. I tried tow launching it, but it could really use a lot more dihedral. I had more success with a discus launch, but still it wouldn't stay in the air for more than 10 seconds. Perhaps it was tail-heavy.

GliderFlyer

Elite member
I kind of surprised myself here, it only took me 20 minutes to get some footage of it flying onto YouTube. I usually procrastinate videos, but this one was easy to edit.
Not the best flying, but I think that with a bit more trimming, it could have a decent glide slope. Maybe it needed some ballast for the wind. I also think that dihedral would have helped a lot with stability on the towline.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I built mine with 5 gram servos, but I think UMX electric would work. I would recommend having one servo for each aileron.

Dude it's so rewarding to see my design built by someone else!! I definitely have a lot of changes for v2.1 that I'm planning to work on today and tomorrow. I've got some gear and tow hook and a bunch of little edits planned. I think the nose as a separate piece protects the rest of the fuselage, it's absorbed a ton of impacts from flight testing. If you think it would ease building to make it part of the fuselage, it might be worth it. I also would recommend using the really wide double sided servo arm that comes with most servos, it lessens the angle of the linkage on the aileron. Let us know how towing goes, I've only hand and discus launched the prototype. Thanks for building!
I am using a ripoff umx that is only 3ch contorl.

ThatsALotOfPlanes

I kind of surprised myself here, it only took me 20 minutes to get some footage of it flying onto YouTube. I usually procrastinate videos, but this one was easy to edit.
Not the best flying, but I think that with a bit more trimming, it could have a decent glide slope. Maybe it needed some ballast for the wind. I also think that dihedral would have helped a lot with stability on the towline.

Oh yeah that looks way tail heavy, was it balanced on the marks on the plans? I put all of my electronics as far forward as possible since the nose is so short.
Here's a pic of my setup:
20210627_123631 (2).jpg
10A ESC in the nose, tiny battery, receiver, and elevator servo all next to each other.
The prototype was actually really stable without dihedral, I was flying in no wind conditions though, your video sounds pretty windy.

Hers a video of some discus launches from a couple days ago: https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/568128084

ThatsALotOfPlanes

I had some extra time today, so I tried taking the Waco out for a real launch. I tried tow launching it, but it could really use a lot more dihedral. I had more success with a discus launch, but still it wouldn't stay in the air for more than 10 seconds. Perhaps it was tail-heavy.

I tried making a hi-start launch yesterday and had the same problems it looked like you had, kinda spiraled to the side. No clue how all that physics works, maybe a glider needs dihedral and a rudder with actual authority to pull it off?

ThatsALotOfPlanes

I am using a ripoff umx that is only 3ch contorl.

If it has linear servos you can do rudder and elevator, although the rudder has little authority. If they're rotary servos you can go ahead and use the stock position for the aileron servo.

If the servos are linear you could also try having only one aileron and see what happens. Not really sure what that would do but it would be fun to try. If you're using UMX style electronics you'll need some ballast in the nose.

ThatsALotOfPlanes

First post updated with v2.1 plans. I'm about to build the next prototype with those plans and I'll make a picture series of the build as I go.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
If it has linear servos you can do rudder and elevator, although the rudder has little authority. If they're rotary servos you can go ahead and use the stock position for the aileron servo.

If the servos are linear you could also try having only one aileron and see what happens. Not really sure what that would do but it would be fun to try. If you're using UMX style electronics you'll need some ballast in the nose.
they are rotary. the servos can move around independent from the board.

ThatsALotOfPlanes

they are rotary. the servos can move around independent from the board.

Yeah you could use ailerons then, if you have a double sided servo arm then go for it! It might end up tail heavy with the light electronics, so maybe try lightening in the tail, or lengenthening the nose a bit.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Yeah you could use ailerons then, if you have a double sided servo arm then go for it! It might end up tail heavy with the light electronics, so maybe try lightening in the tail, or lengenthening the nose a bit.
ok. thanks so much. the other plane it will come out from just broke down from an unsuccessful trip in the car, though the motor hasn't been working for a long time.

Phin G

Elite member
It would be neat to put a small RC car inside that could deploy itself after landing. There would have to be some hatch-opening mechanism though.
View attachment 202499
theoretically you could attack a servo to one side of the nose behind the pivot part and hook up servo line to the nose so that when you flick a 1 position switch it pops up and down. this will probably be next on my build list after i get the baby bugatti to fly.