Mikey's FPV v3 Scratch Build

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
You can never have to much depron...:D
That will leave enough to correct any mistakes that inevitably happen. Or if they don't there are lots of other designs you could try with the left overs.

vanstrien

Just to make sure i have everything...
I need:
-3 Sheets of 1250mmx800mmx6mm Depron
-2 Servos
-1 Motor
-1 ESC
- Linkage Stopper
- Lipo
-Props
-Motor Mount
Is that everything I need I am just a bit unsure and don't want to forget sth if I order it from the International Warehouse...
What size of Stick do I need for the Wings?
:confused:

Lonker - In terms of things you would order, yes, that looks right. It omits the rudder servo, but theoretically you don't need that. I found that my rudder works better for me though for turning than not using it. It also assumes you have a transmitter and receiver, glue, tape, skewers and landing skids (if you want them).

vanstrien

Balancing the model

I'm quite impressed how I've taken a not-so-pretty plane and made it even a bit uglier.

Ugly 1.jpg
Ugly 2.jpg

Nonetheless this flies really well - nice and slow so a good learning plane.

However I've had troubles where it dips and dives from time to time. I also crashed during launch once and had to replace the whole nose. I think it may point down a little now as my vertical controls are crazy.

Any suggestions on how to balance a scratch build plane?

iCrash

I tried to launch mine for the first time about 2 weeks ago. It went straight down like a rock. I think the CG is all wrong. I set it exactly as the directions say, however I think that is wrong, at least for my plane. I'm lucky it didn't break too much foam. It will be an easy fix. I'll try again in a few weeks when/if we get some nice weather here in MI.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Edit: err, I see you have a wing in your avatar.:black_eyed: In that case, check your thrust angle, if it's off that could be your problem. This also needs reflex, but I'm sure know to check that

Last edited:

germaneer

So I started building this plane. I ordered some parts from hk so I can finish this. What do you think guys? Its my first plane that I built. Will it fly? :D 10914863_1548880598730714_4363736174487403002_o.jpg

Now it weights 300g without the camera

orion3399

power packs

I have a question that i hope has not already been answered, will any of the Flite test power packs work for this plane?
Im new at rc and looking for any help, I would really appreciate it! Thank you, Donovan

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hey, welcome to the forum!
I built the Fpv v3 a long time ago, so I don't remember the size of the prop slot. If it can handle a 9 inch prop, power pack c with a 9x6 e (not slowfly) prop should work nicely.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
My son and I built this plane. After a few short flights and minor crashes, I got the hang of it and it flies really well now. Here is a youtube video of a short flight yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsx3VvP2_d8

nice looking build, it's a very forgiving plane in a crash and the slow speed flying makes it easy to learn. you didn't list any details in your video, what did you use for motor/prop etc?

97tj-neil

Thanks, RAM. I added comments to the video on YouTube, but they are not showing for some reason. Here is what I used.

Suppo 2810/12 1000 kv motor
Suppo 40A ESC
APC 10x4.7 slow fly pusher prop
OrangeRx R615X 6ch DSMX receiver
Turnigy 2200 mAh 20C 3S LiPo
TowerPro SG90 9g mini micro servos

I also added some 2" lightweight foam wheels and a tail skid so I could take off instead of hand launching.

I have only used the rudder while taxiing, as this plane is very responsive to bank & yank flying.

G'day, all...

I've just started building this plane and in the middle of my own prop slot forward/rearward debate. Can anyone speculate why the Josh decided to move the engine mount and prop further to the rear?

Also, there's a lot of discussion about the best way of routing of the elevon servo wires around the prop slot for mounting the servos on the top wing. Is there any reason why the servos couldn't be mounted on the bottom wing, instead? Seems like that would simplify routing of the servo wires, especially if they're run under the layer of foam over the spar as it is being built.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
G'day, all...

I've just started building this plane and in the middle of my own prop slot forward/rearward debate. Can anyone speculate why the Josh decided to move the engine mount and prop further to the rear?

Also, there's a lot of discussion about the best way of routing of the elevon servo wires around the prop slot for mounting the servos on the top wing. Is there any reason why the servos couldn't be mounted on the bottom wing, instead? Seems like that would simplify routing of the servo wires, especially if they're run under the layer of foam over the spar as it is being built.

It was something Mikey changed due to people having difficulty on launch. If you didn't launch just right, the plane would nose dive. He moved the engine mount further back but never changed the original plans. You can build it original but be aware of the possible dive on launch. He has a video on his website explaining the changes. https://youtu.be/xI8xvAToCvk?t=148

If you do move the motor mount back you will have to redesign the rudder like flitetest did.

Last edited:

Onyxius

Just to share my experience, I built one with Turnigy D2836/8 1100KV Brushless Outrunner Motor using a Master Airscrew propeller 10x5, and Hobby King 30A ESC 3A UBEC.

I'm using an old (around 100 discharge) Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack and can fly between 12 minutes of relax flight (around 15% of full throttle). After landing, I can confirm the motor and speed controller are barely hot.

The weight ready to fly is 860 gram (it's not painted yet) and I can confirm I can do unlimited vertical climbing. This plane is really aggressive when flying at full throttle; at least too much for a beginner... But on low throttle it's amazing at what slow speed it can fly.

As long as I can say, this plane is very easy to build and very well worth it. The only downside is you must put your battery at far front to balance the CG of plane if you don't put a camera for fpv. I'm eager to receive my splitter cable to be able to fly this plane with two battery in parallel to double flying times.

Hello Everyone,
I am building my first plane and have been reading that the suggested electronics from flite test just don't seem to be enough power to push this plane built by others. I have built mine like Josh did in the flite test video and am at a point of ordering the electronics so I can mount the motor and get the tail/fin setup after I figure out those dimensions. I saw this post and am wondering if I should just order these parts, except his is 860 grams ready to fly and without electronics or tail/fin I’m already at 281 ounces (797 grams) and I’m concerned that I’m not going to have enough umpf to get off the ground.

Oh, will this motor fit the motor mount suggested by Josh as well?

I won’t have a camera so I will put my battery towards the nose and am thinking of picking up 2 batteries and figuring out what 'Y' Cable I will need.

Any thoughts on the weight? I purchased the foam board from hobby lobby and i guess it's a little heavier than what you get at dollar tree.

sshot-180.png

So the above pic is the shopping cart of the items in the post I quoted from martinlmtl but with the motor mount and its showing another 714 grams :) that's on top of my already 797 grams.

And just looking while typing this out, I would guess i need this Y cable here to run both batteries from the looks of it.

Last edited:

Corbarrad

So the above pic is the shopping cart of the items in the post I quoted from martinlmtl but with the motor mount and its showing another 714 grams :) that's on top of my already 797 grams.

Hobbyking's Shopping cart doesn't show the net weight of the articles, but some arbitrary "shipping weight", so you can't really go off of that. The actual weight of your equipment will be a lot lower, though there's no way to tell just how much.