Mikey's RC Sport Trainer Scratch Build

ky3orr

RC newbie
Hi Pilots and RC enthusiasts!

I am still new to RC and started this journey about one year ago.
Firstly I invested in radio setup (TGY 9X), spare parts and a Bixler ARF.
It was fun to see that I was actually able to become a RC pilot!
A pilot in real, not only during simulations for which I sacrificed lots of time.
As my experience was growing I wanted to build something from scratch.
I tried my best with scratch build delta wing. It was really well looking but it didn't wanted to fly.
CG was badly balanced and the motor wasn't producing enough thrust.
That's why I started to search for easy to fly plane for a beginners.
I've found Mikey's RC forum on which there is a Sport Trainer plane available.
I'd downloaded it, printed and started with my build.

It took me 3 evenings to put all the things together. On picture below You can see assembled plane.
sport_trainer.JPG

What is interesting in this construction is that the wing is bent a bit (to provide dihedral), and difference in path length for an air is made simple with use of a tape which covers a foam strap glued on top of the wing.
skrzydlo.JPG

Most of the construction is made of Depron with help of some wooden BBQ skewers and popsicle sticks for strengthening plane's body.
Additionally I made both: main and tail wings more rigid by gluing a carbon stripe on them.

From the beginning I wanted to have a landing gear so I prepared one with use of a 2mm steel rod.
I glued it to popsicle sticks with hot glue.
podwozie1.JPG

podwozie2.JPG

After I went through all the plans and my work finished I balanced the plane, charged my LiPo and went for a test flight.
I need to admit that I was really surprised how easy it is to fly this thing. Plane doesn't need lot of runway to start, is really maneuverable and can fly slow what is really important, especially for a beginners like me :)
I noticed that it is needed for me to set some dual rates/expos in the future so the flight would be more steady.

The setup I went with for a test flight was:

- AX2306N 1300kV brushless motor with 8x4 propeller,
silnik.JPG
- Turnigy 2S 1300mAH 20C LiPo,
- Turnigy AE-20A ESC,
akumulator.JPG
- 3xTurnigy TG9E 9 gram servos,
serwo1.JPG
serwo2.JPG
- Hobby King 3 channel GT-2 2,4GHz receiver.
odbiornik.JPG

I am happy that everything worked and finally I was able to fly :)
Mikey's plans are prepared well and I had no problems with their usage.
For those ones who just start with RC hobby I recommend this plane to build. It's cheap, easy to build and fly!

If anybody built also the same plane please share Your thoughts, ideas and pictures.
I am also interested in everybody else comments, what do You think I did wrong and what could be done better.

regards

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Cool,
I have built 9 or 10 sport trainers, and if built right they can do anything! on your next one, make a folded Armin Clark Y using those templates, and move the c.g. to 2" behind the leading edge, this mod will let you carry triple the battery capacity.
Awesome work, next one do a build log, mine never ever look that good:rolleyes:!
Foam Addict.

mapes12

Thanks for your review and pics. I'm about to start my build of the MikeysRC Sport Trainer and your post is most helpful. I'm new to RC and hope to have a successful flight with it. Mark

mapes12

Cool,
I have built 9 or 10 sport trainers, and if built right they can do anything! on your next one, make a folded Armin Clark Y using those templates, and move the c.g. to 2" behind the leading edge, this mod will let you carry triple the battery capacity.
Awesome work, next one do a build log, mine never ever look that good:rolleyes:!
Foam Addict.
To make the Armin wing properly you need foam board where the paper peels easily from the foam, like the dollar tree stuff you lucky guys have over the pond. It's the only way to get the bend right on the leading edge. I'm in the UK and we just don't have anything like it. I've looked everywhere for a UK equivalent without success. If anyone knows of a UK product the same as what Ed (inventor of the Armin wing and known as ExperimentalAirlines on YouTube) uses for the Armin wing then please private message me. Mark

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
You might be able to order the 50 pack of foam from either Dollar tree's web site, or from the manufacturer.
Even with shipping, it should only come to about 2 dollars a sheet.
If you need a link, pm me and I will send one.

Not to revive an old thread but, HELP. I cant seem to get these plans to print with out cutting out a half inch off of every plan. Foam addict, have you had any issue printing these. What program are you using? Thanks

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
clancy
When you go to print be sure to set at 100% and set to poster size and cut marks then you will have to trim one set of cut marks off of adjoinging sheets and over lap one if you cut off at all marks you will have a tougher time tapeing them together.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Unfortunately, that's how it's supposed to work. It's much easier if you have access to a large paper cutter though.

I have no issues with actually trimming them myself. The problem is that I am losing surface area when it prints. The red lines should be 3 inches and the black 5. The black line does come out to be 5 inches but due to how its printing, it cuts out parts. So, like on the aileron where it says mikeysrc.com, The ".c" is missing. leaving most of my red lines at 2 1/2 inches.
Also is this wing really supposed to come out to be 39in across? Thats longer than the board size he called for?!
Haha Thanks for every ones help on this.