Miles M.20 Design & Build Off

Michael9865

Elite member
FTFC'18 WWII - Miles M.20 designed by Michael763

My Entry for the Flite Fest 2018 WWII Community Design & Build Off will be a Miles M.20.

Miles M.20 3 View.jpg

miles m20.jpg

Miles M20-1.jpg

Miles M20-2.jpg

Allied Forces of FliteTest FTFC18.png

Last edited:

Michael9865

Elite member
Update #1

The 3 view drawings that I found where not very scale. If I scaled the drawing so that the wing was the proper length then the fuselage was the wrong size. So I imported 2 copies of the drawing and scaled them accordingly. I decided to go with no landing gear and a wooden spar with sandwiched reinforcement braces in the center sections for the prototype build.
I finished the Original SketchUp work tonight/early morning. DXF files created, next to convert them to G-code.

Miles M.20-4.png

Miles M.20-4 Page 1.png

Miles M.20-4 Page 2.png

Miles M.20-4 Page 3.png

Michael9865

Elite member
Update #2

Cutting will begin this Thursday, if all goes to plan. In the mean time I realized that I had neglected to make a jig for the skins to go into to get the desired airfoil.

Miles M.20-4 Wing Jig.png

So I worked that up and sent it to the Staples to be printed. While I was in SketchUp I figured why not tinker with a (non-scale, as if they had ordered a seaboard option) tail hook assembly.

Miles M.20-4 Tail Hook Assy.png

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Looking good Michael! It will be an elegant plane. Man - I gotta get me one of them CNC thingies! It must save you a huge amount of time when you are prototyping and building - right? So jealous.

DamoRC

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Looking good Michael! It will be an elegant plane. Man - I gotta get me one of them CNC thingies! It must save you a huge amount of time when you are prototyping and building - right? So jealous.

DamoRC

Come on over to the dark side... we have cookies! :p

Michael, what type of CNC machine are you using?

I've done some work on a laser cutter at the local maker space, but have decided to take the plunge and build a CNC needle/router table

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?36066-Lowrider-CNC

The guys on the need cutter thread have done such an awesome job designing and refining the cutting technology, and with the new LowRider CNC machine design that can double as workbench space when not in use, it's getting harder and harder to resist the CNC side... :p

Michael9865

Elite member

DamoRC

Come on over to the dark side... we have cookies! :p

Michael, what type of CNC machine are you using?

I've done some work on a laser cutter at the local maker space, but have decided to take the plunge and build a CNC needle/router table

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?36066-Lowrider-CNC

The guys on the need cutter thread have done such an awesome job designing and refining the cutting technology, and with the new LowRider CNC machine design that can double as workbench space when not in use, it's getting harder and harder to resist the CNC side... :p

Thank you!
"Come on over to the dark side... we have cookies! :p" ROFLMBO

I have a MPCNC with a needle cutter, I highly recommend it. I love it. It does speed up the process. There is a learning curve to the software, but it is so worth it. The guys on the "Cutting foam sheets with a needle" thread are very helpful. I hadn't touched a CNC or G-Code in over 30 years and picked it up enough to cut my planes out.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?24251-Cutting-foam-sheets-with-a-needle!

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So do we have flight yet? Hoping to see the good looks of a P-40 style profile but with better flight characteristics! :)

Michael9865

Elite member
Not yet, unfortunately life has gotten in the way. I have done some computer work on my biplane design, but have not started the assembly yet. I hope to have the aircraft built within the next few weeks.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Awesome! Totally understand life taking priority over RC (unless you own an RC business, and then it's all 'get back to work'! :p )

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
So, who's building the 1:20 scale aircraft Carrier to land on? XD

Also Team ALLIED FORCES thread has started, join the discussion! (link in signature)

My Build Plates full untill they fly

Last edited:

Michael9865

Elite member
Unfortunately, a family emergency is requiring me to be away from home and in Pennsylvania for a while. If anyone would like to take over this project let me know and I can forward the SketchUp files, plans, and prints. Or I can collaborate if someone wants to do the building and I do the plans that is fine, I have my laptop and files with me.