Mini Aeromaster (Like) Biplane

Michael9865

Elite member
Mini Aeromaster Inspired Biplane

I have been a fan of Lou Andrews Aeromaster since I was a teen, circa late 1970s and early 1980s. Mine was built for me by my father, that was a great gift. It flew one with a Fox Eagle III on the nose. Now since I returned to RC flying a few years ago I just had to make a biplane with similar lines.

I took a FT Mini Scout and made it into a biplane a few years back, http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?20816-Mini-Scout-Biplane-With-Plans , after tweaking the design a little I published the plans. This biplane is the next step to get closer to the big biplane of my youth. If this biplane is as successful as I hope, I will then size it up to 32" or so.

This is not going to be a fast build. (Then again it just kept calling me to finish it.) LOL! I am still working on the Miles Sparrowhawk for FF2017 in Ohio.

Also after this Mini version is perfected I will share the plans. This biplane will be built mainly with 2 sheets of DTF, tape, white gorilla glue and some hot glue. Hopefully you will enjoy the journey.

I suggest using the forward CG marks on the top wing for your initial flights.

Mini Scout Bipe III Page 1 Beta V1.1.jpg

Mini Scout Bipe III Page 2 Beta V1.1.jpg

Proof of Flight video.
https://youtu.be/6npT_xwsHxM

Updated Beta Plans
See attachments

Change .zip to .dxf
View attachment Mini Scout Bipe III Page 1 Beta V1.1.zip

Change .zip to .dxf
View attachment 96212

Attachments

• Mini Scout Bipe III Page 1 Beta V1.1.pdf
    11.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini Scout Bipe III Page 2 Beta V1.1.pdf
    9.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Michael9865

Elite member
Top Wing

Top Wing

Top left wing and spar cutout
01 Top Left Wing Cut Out Feb 02, 1 16 21 PM.jpg

Top right wing and Spar cutout
02 Top Right Wing Cut Out  Feb 02, 1 16 24 PM.jpg

Top wing spars folded and glued
03 Top Wing Spars Feb 02, 1 19 26 PM.jpg

Top wing Sharpie work done, the dots on the bottom surface of the wing is the CG mark.
04 Top Wing Sharpie Work Feb 03, 8 38 51 PM.jpg

Getting the fold practiced after beveling, the dot on the bottom surface of the wing is the CG mark.
05 Getting the Fold Practiced After Beveling Feb 03, 8 45 55 PM.jpg

Transferring the spar location from the top of the wing to the bottom. This was not a good move. It caused the spar to not be in the correct location. You will see on the lower wing I glued the spar to the top of the wing to ensure that it is in the correct location.
06 Tranfering The Spar Location From The Top Wing To the Bottom Feb 03, 12 15 15 PM.jpg

Top wing spar prepared to glue in (in the wrong place, doh)
07 Top Wing Spar Layout Feb 03, 12 21 19 PM.jpg

Top wing spars glued in place (**Should be glued to upper part of the wing skin first.**)
08 Top Wing Spars Glued in Place Feb 03, 12 28 12 PM.jpg

Picture of completed top wing
08A Top wing all together Mar 10, 6 40 48 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Michael9865

Elite member
Bottom Wing

Laying out the checkerboard pattern on lower wing
09 Laying Out The Checkerboard Pattern on Lower Wing Feb 23, 11 03 00 AM.jpg

Sharpie work done on the checkerboard pattern on lower wing. I like the finished product, but wow that is a lot of work. LOL
10 Sharpie Checkboard Pattern Completed on Lower Wing Feb 23, 11 50 30 AM.jpg

Setting up the spars on the lower wing after beveling the leading edge and running a skewer down the the fold areas on the bottom wing. I did glue the spars the same way I did on the top wing spars.
11 Lower Wing Beveled and Releaved with Spars Attached Mar 09, 8 52 30 PM.jpg

Gluing the airfoil into the bottom wing. I used a dolop of hot glue at the outer and inner edges to keep the trailing edge of the bottom plate in the correct location while the white gorilla glue dried. Don't tell my college Psych and Sociology profs that I re-purposed my textbooks. LOL
12 Lower Wing Airfoil Being Glued In Mar 10, 12 42 03 PM.jpg

Gluing in the dihedral, the top wing has none. The Psych and Sociology textbooks are heavy, no worries on anything moving.
13 Lower Wing Dihedral Installed Mar 10, 2 33 11 PM.jpg

Bottom wing completed with 1 5/8" dihedral under one wing tip.
14 Lower Wing completed Mar 10, 6 38 38 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Michael9865

Elite member
Fuselage

Fuselage Build

Parts laid out to start the fuselage, I realized that I forgot to have my cnc cut the score cut at the fuselage side bend near the rear of the bottom wing. I have went in to update the beta plans.
15 Parts laid out to start the fuselage Mar 10, 11 23 22 PM.jpg

Fuselage parts with extra foam peeled away. The extra paper on the lower section of the nose will be folded over to strengthen the edges.
16 Fuselage parts with extra foam peeled away Mar 10, 11 44 47 PM.jpg

Fuselage sides and top glued with white gorilla glue and tact in place with hot glue at front, bend, and rear utilizing a "B" fold. Weighted down the assembly while the glue dries. The bottom plate of the fuselage is just sitting on the body as a spacer. It is easier to install the equipment/electronics before gluing the section under the bottom wing in place.
17 Fuselage sides and top glued and weighted down Mar 11, 12 16 35 AM.jpg

Nose detail of the paper having been folded over to strengthen the edges. After the white gorilla glue dries I will trim the excess away. I used hot glue to accomplish that.
18 Nose detail Mar 11, 12 16 48 AM.jpg

Lower rear section of the fuselage glued in place
19 Lower rear section of the fuselage glued in place Mar 11, 11 25 37 AM.jpg

Removed the area where the lower wing will attach
24 Remove the area where the lower wing will attach Mar 11, 3 25 03 PM.jpg

Detailed look inside at the area I removed the foam from the bottom of the fuselage. I adjusted the beta plans to move the wing up 2mm. I also adjusted the center support and the wing struts accordingly.
24A Detailed look iside at the area I removed the foam Mar 11, 3 24 46 PM.jpg

Started work on the power pod, folded up and gluing up the foam section of the power pod. I used white gorilla glue on the bottom outboard edge and hot glue on the edge of the side piece.
20 Folded up the power pod Mar 11, 2 53 01 PM.jpg

Showing detail of the A fold
20A Showing detail of the A fold Mar 11, 2 53 38 PM.jpg

After gluing on firewall the taping begins
22 More tape reinforcing applied Mar 11, 3 02 19 PM.jpg

More tape reinforcing applied
21 After gluing on firewall the taping begins Mar 11, 2 59 04 PM.jpg

More tape reinforcing applied
22A More tape reinforcing applied Mar 11, 3 04 44 PM.jpg

I use a C-clamp to ensure the firewall remains seated to the foam
23 Using a C-clamp to ensure the firewall remains seated to the foam Mar 11, 3 08 19 PM.jpg

I test fitted the old pod from my Mini-Scout Biplane and realized that I put the skewer holes a little high. So I went in and lowered them on the Beta plans. I also realized that I have the openings for the rudder and elevator push rods in the wrong places. So I corrected their locations on the Beta plans.

Attached the A2204-14 1400KV Brushless Motor that I used on my Mini-Scout Biplane. It will be spinning a 7X6 prop.
27 A2204-14 1400KV brushless motor installed Mar 13, 8 33 36 PM.jpg

Wing section build to correct the opening of the fuselage, corrected the beta plans
28 Wing section Mar 13, 8 33 57 PM.jpg

Bottom wing installed
29 Bottom wing installed Mar 13, 8 31 34 PM.jpg

Rough sketch of landing gear
30 Rough sketch of landing gear Mar 15, 8 17 44 PM.jpg

Landing gear installed
31 Landing gear installed Mar 15, 8 17 13 PM.jpg

Installation of front former also glue down thrust piece in place
38 Installation of front former also glue down thrust piece in place Mar 17, 11 57 04 AM.jpg

Detail of down thrust piece
39 Detail of down thrust piece Mar 17, 11 56 26 AM.jpg

Upper formers glued into place
41 upper formers glued into place Mar 17, 12 00 32 PM.jpg

Beginning to install the poster board upper fuselage
42 Begining to install the posterboard upper fuselage Mar 17, 11 28 56 PM.jpg

Poster board installed
43 Posterboard installed Mar 17, 11 44 00 PM.jpg

Poster board installed front detail
43A Posterboard installed nose detail Mar 17, 11 44 12 PM.jpg

Installed the center support for the top wing
40 Installed the center support for the top wing Mar 16, 8 17 42 PM.jpg

Installing outer wing struts. I should not have installed at 90 degrees since the bottom wing has dihedral. I have updated the beta plans.
44 Installing outer wing struts Mar 17, 11 51 00 PM.jpg

Attached top wing
45 Top wing is attached Mar 18, 2 23 51 AM.jpg

Last edited:

Michael9865

Elite member
Tail Feathers and Misc Work Progress

Sharpie work completed on the tail surfaces
25 Sharpie work completed on the tail surfaces Mar 11, 6 49 59 PM.jpg

Hinge work completed on the tail surfaces. Notice the 45 was cut into the horizontal stab and also on the rudder.
25A Hinge work completed on the tail surfaces Mar 11, 7 45 56 PM.jpg

Attaching the horizontal stab to the fuselage
26 Attaching the horizontal stab to the fuselage Mar 11, 7 55 49 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Michael9865

Elite member
Electronics installation

Installed servos rudder to the rear and lower elevator forward and higher
33 Installd servos Rudder to the rear and lower elevator forward and higher Mar 17, 12 00 38 PM.jpg

Elevator and rudder servo install front view
34 Elevator and rudder servo install front view Mar 17, 12 00 49 PM.jpg

Imobilized the control surfaces and installed control horns and tail skid
36 Imobilized the control surfaces and installed control horns and tail skid Mar 16, 8 17 12 PM.jpg

Control rods connected
37 Control rods connected Mar 17, 12 21 05 PM.jpg

Aileron servo installation
35 Aileron servo installation Mar 17, 12 20 32 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Michael9865

Elite member
I got a lot done on the fuselage and motor mount. I have been working on this biplane while I watch NCAA basketball conference championships.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
And this years winner for best use of a psych degree in the aeronautics sector goes to.....

This is progressing nicely. It will also look cool with the art work you have done already.

Michael9865

Elite member
After attaching the lower wing it struck me that this would look good as a single wing. Hmm, shorten the nose a little. maybe make the fuselage about 8 or so mm wider.

I don't need to go down this rabbit trail until next winter. LOL

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
And this years winner for best use of a psych degree in the aeronautics sector goes to.....

This is progressing nicely. It will also look cool with the art work you have done already.
As I was preparing to mention about that I continued to scroll down. I stuck my nose in one of those books once, not likely gonna happen again. Use it to hold things in place while glue dries, finally useful information. I wonder what that means about my inner self... no I don't.

Last edited:

Michael9865

Elite member
Ready and waiting for flying weather

Updated posts 4 and 6. I could not stay away from working on this plane.

314 Grams without wheels
46 314 Grams without wheels Mar 18, 7 45 35 PM.jpg

Top view
47 Top view Mar 18, 7 46 36 PM.jpg

Right front quarter view
48 Right front quarter view Mar 18, 7 47 01 PM.jpg

Right rear quarter view
49 Right rear quarter view Mar 18, 7 47 11 PM.jpg

Bottom view
50 Bottom view Mar 18, 7 47 29 PM.jpg

Michael9865

Elite member
It Flies! Ronnie Timmerman took it off for the maiden for me, I then finished out the flight. I am happy with how it flies, it is a tad under powered. Joel Cannon of Flite Test Community Podcast tried it with a Blue Wonder, 12A ESC, and a 2S 800MAH on it. He recommended a 2205 Red Bottom, but I don't have one. He offered to try the Beta plans with his Red Bottom motor. Tomorrow I hope to test out a GT2204 KV2300. I can almost hear Tim Allen grunting and telling 20A ESC and a 3S 1000MAH would help also. LOL

I will link the proof of flight as soon as it finishes uploading.

Michael9865

Elite member
Beta Plans Release

Here are the Beta plans. If you build from them please let me know if you find any errors or suggestions to make it better. Thank You!

View attachment Mini Scout Bipe III Page 1 Beta.pdf

View attachment Mini Scout Bipe III Page 2 Beta.pdf

Change .zip to .dxf
View attachment Mini Scout Bipe III Page 2 Beta.zip

Change .zip to .dxf
View attachment Mini Scout Bipe III Page 1 Beta.zip

I also did not get the chance to try a different motor yet. I may just order a 2205 or 2206 red bottom.

Last edited:

Michael9865

Elite member
Last edited:

Fidget

This is great! Thanks for sharing.
It's fun to see what people use for weights too. I hadn't seen one of those little fruit punch barrels in a long time.