Mini Arrow 3D Printed Center Pod

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
very nice. i have built multiple arrows for myself and others and just love this wing. i have seen a few other 3D printed center pods but had been very hesitant. my current printer can do PLA and ABS and neither seemed like the best option. i have a new printer on the way and it will be able to do nylon, so i might just have to try this.

what ESC and battery are you running? looks a little small for a 20A. i have never had any luck running a 2204 w a 12A ESC in this wing using a 3S. way to much. even with a 20A, a 3S, and 6045R prop, i was pulling 22A @ full throttle.

laters,

me ;)

qwijibo

Thanks. PLA warps too easily, so not an ideal material. ABS should be fine, it's just trickier to print. You may want to look into PETG, I've had great luck with PETG on things like this. Pretty easy to print with, but MUCH better temp resistance than PLA. I use it in my car for a phoen holder, and no issues all summer in the heat.

I'm running the stock Power Pack F (2204 and 12A ESC) spinning a 6x3 or 6x4.5 prop. As long as I keep the ESC in the airflow, I've never had problems in the past...but if I put it inside, forget about it....starts burping/cut-off after only 30 seconds or so.

BTW, the .STL files to print your own can be found here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1972543

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
:applause:

my newest is running an A-pack 1806 w/6045 and a 12A ESC. i put the ESC on the outside today and it flew much better but it really needs the 2205 for my personal speed needs... :rolleyes: it was very windy today so i plan to fly it again tomorrow before i change anything just to make sure.

i will check into the PETG.

thanks.

me ;)

Morgan

very nice. i have built multiple arrows for myself and others and just love this wing. i have seen a few other 3D printed center pods but had been very hesitant. my current printer can do PLA and ABS and neither seemed like the best option. i have a new printer on the way and it will be able to do nylon, so i might just have to try this.

what ESC and battery are you running? looks a little small for a 20A. i have never had any luck running a 2204 w a 12A ESC in this wing using a 3S. way to much. even with a 20A, a 3S, and 6045R prop, i was pulling 22A @ full throttle.

laters,

me ;)
20 amp is hardly enough?I thought a 20 amp would be an over kill.

qwijibo

20 amp is hardly enough?I thought a 20 amp would be an over kill.

As long as it's exposed to airflow allowing it to stay cool, I've never had an issue with the smaller ESC's on this plane. I do think they should change the build video a bit to make outside placement the normal build process. Other than that, super easy build and a great little everyday flyer that's easy to leave in the car for quick flights.

If I build another I may try to extend the motor back from the wing a bit and see if that helps quiet it down. It might be small, but boy is it loud wide open! :p

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ok, you are correct. i took my 12a ESC and placed it above the pod and just taped it on. flew like a dream with the 2205-2300kv and adds a lot more room inside to stuff everything in.

i still have not setup my 3D printer yet....but a friend of mine did and printed me one of your pods and he came over and built mine today.

i still have concerns about the durability of the pod in a crash but why not try.

looks good and is 10g lite compared to the other, but i still have some details to add so i'm sure that will get eaten up quickly.

3d wing.jpg
2 wings.jpg

don't mind the crappy foam board and it's ribbing, i'm sure it will be fine... :LOL:

the red/white/blue one has been crashed more times than i can count. it's been ripped in half, slammed into it's nose to many times. the other day all the guys were egging me on at the field to cut the tree's and bushes. i made several epic passes, and a few more epic crashes @ full speed. each time i just tossed it back into the air. it had the crowd on it's feet, too many "it's still flying!" than i can count.

LUV this wing!

laters,

me :cool:

Last edited:

Morgan

ok, you are correct. i took my 12a ESC and placed it above the pod and just taped it on. flew like a dream with the 2205-2300kv and adds a lot more room inside to stuff everything in.

i still have not setup my 3D printer yet....but a friend of mine did and printed me one of your pods and he came over and built mine today.

i still have concerns about the durability of the pod in a crash but why not try.

looks good and is 10g lite compared to the other, but i still have some details to add so i'm sure that will get eaten up quickly.

View attachment 106646 View attachment 106647

don't mind the crappy foam board and it's ribbing, i'm sure it will be fine... :LOL:

the red/white/blue one has been crashed more times than i can count. it's been ripped in half, slammed into it's nose to many times. the other day all the guys were egging me on at the field to cut the tree's and bushes. i made several epic passes, and a few more epic crashes @ full speed. each time i just tossed it back into the air. it had the crowd on it's feet, too many "it's still flying!" than i can count.

LUV the is wing!

laters,

Yea the arrow is a stinking tough plane . I nosed it in and it snaped in half and buckled the nose .I cut about a 6 in section out of the center ,glued it back together and it flew great!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
just finished. printing it for a friend. first real big print with my new printer.

20180506_172643.jpg

next print i'm shooting for the stars.... Bf-109f.

just started left wing. :p

laters,

drumified

I printed the older version of your fuselage and it's amazing! Thank you for designing it! I used PETG and haven't had any issues with durability. I also designed an antenna mount and a skid plate with a spot for nose weight.

Attachments

• IMG_20180506_165620.jpg
    IMG_20180506_165620.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180506_165640.jpg
    IMG_20180506_165640.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
very cool print. couple questions as well;

1- did you post the skid to thingiverse? if so, what # is it?
2- i want to go 4S but the poor little 12A can't handle it. do you think you could stuff a 30A ESC in that pod?

thanks,

drumified

I just posted it to Thingiverse: Thing 2931890

You might be able to get a bigger ESC into the pod, but if you're going to be pushing the ESC and generating lots of heat, I'd try to find a way to strap it to the outside.

I also posted my MMCX antenna mount, if you're interested: Thing 2931909