Mini Arrow doesn't fly

Mode 1

That's interesting. When I wing tip launch wings, I don't impart anything with my hand. I just guide the arc with my hand as the motor pushes through the arc.

You definitely need reflex. That's a no brainer. Also verify your cg to assure that you are not excessively nose heavy.

Are the control surfaces moving in the correct direction? Up for up.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, control surfaces were functioning properly. Double and triple checked :)

Mode 1

As others have said, you need up reflex in the control surfaces. That prop is not installed correctly. You have a quad style motor and the APC props do not fit well, the arch in the prop should not touch the motor bell. And it cannot be tightened down properly. That prop is going to fail in your current setup. I use the rs2205 2300kv motors with HQ 5x4.5 Blunt Nose props on 4s. You arrow will be a rocket with the proper setup.
This makes a bit more sense. I get the fact that reflex is needed, more speed upon launch, but something just seemed really wrong. Off to local HS.

Last edited:

Mode 1

Local HS didn't have squat. So, In speaking with my father he suggested reversing the direction of the motor and then putting the prop on the other way. So, we did that. Thoughts? It certainly looks better but i'm not sure the difference between a quad style motor and a regular motor.

Attachments

• prop reverse.jpg
    prop reverse.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Arcfyre

Elite member
I don't think that will work. The leading and trailing edges of the prop are not equal. If you look at a prop blade in profile, you will see that it's a actually a small airfoil. What you've done now is turn it around so that the trailing edge hits the air first and the air flows backwards over the blade/airfoil. Not really very efficient or effective.

A possible fix would be to buy a pusher prop. They are made with the airfoil reversed for this reason.

Mode 1

The thrust is going the right direction.

I'm sensing that despite the thrust going the proper direction (and there's plenty of it) you guys are saying that it's not going to be efficient power that could lead to issues. Would that be a correct statement? I'm just trying to figure out if I should wait and order new props, or give it a test with this setup, more launch speed and the already added reflex.

Thanks.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member

I'm sensing that despite the thrust going the proper direction (and there's plenty of it) you guys are saying that it's not going to be efficient power that could lead to issues. Would that be a correct statement? I'm just trying to figure out if I should wait and order new props, or give it a test with this setup, more launch speed and the already added reflex.

Thanks.

Your spinning the prop backwards, its not going to produce nearly enough power as is should and may over heat the motor. Put the prop on with the numbers towards the front and get some sort of washer to take up the space, so you can tighten it down.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

Thanks.
I build and sell or gift many FB aircraft, (I gift to members of my club and use them as a survey sample of RC users. SHHH! Don't tell them!). Among the gifted planes were a number of 800mm KFM wings! Similar in layout to the arrow but far more robust! Anyway many club members could not get them to fly properly and the launch was the big worry, Pusher prop and the like. At about the same time we had a rash of poor EDF launches also so I quickly made a launcher. See:- https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/the-best-20-i-invested.53587/

Now about half the club members have versions of their own and some with launch ramps made from PVC piping.

As for failed launches now - apart from control reversal issues and the overcontrolling all newbies suffer from we have had no, (I repeat NO launch failures. We have had launches where the radio was not switched on, the motor direction was wrong. The motor kill switch was in the kill position and the like but every launch has placed the aircraft at height and speed in less than 10 metres and each launch is UNIFORM!

So If you are worried about launch speed or the hands off of the transmitter nature of solo hand launches give the bungee a thought!

Just what works for me, (and the majority of my club members).

Have fun!

Mode 1

As others have said, you need up reflex in the control surfaces. That prop is not installed correctly. You have a quad style motor and the APC props do not fit well, the arch in the prop should not touch the motor bell. And it cannot be tightened down properly. That prop is going to fail in your current setup. I use the rs2205 2300kv motors with HQ 5x4.5 Blunt Nose props on 4s. Your arrow will be a rocket with the proper setup.

Luis, per you HQ 5x4.5 props. Are you using 2 or 3 blade?

Paracodespoder

Elite member
In your first motor/prop configuration was your motor spinning clocwise or counterclockwise? In order to use that prop like that you need your motor spinning clockwise.

Mode 1

Hey all. Circling back on this. I took this out at lunch today and it actually flew. Apparently, the addition of some reflex and a new thrust angle fixed the "won't launch" problem. She made 2 really sketchy, under-powered laps around the sports fields before I had to put her down. I'm going to assume it's a prop issue but would like a quick review. Should the engine be spinning CW or CCW with the prop facing the front of the plane?

Thanks.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
On a standard prop it should be turning CCW and the numbers on the blades should be facing the direction of travel

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
On a standard prop it should be turning CCW and the numbers on the blades should be facing the direction of travel

To be perfectly clear, CCW when looking from the FRONT of the plane. When looking at the rear it would be CW. The motor would turn CW. (with a standard prop).

Happy to hear you are making progress!

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor

Mode 1

Howdy All.

I'm going to semi highjack my own thread with a different Mini Arrow issue. Tonight we flew our other Mini Arrow for the first time. This one is running a Lumenier 1806 2600kv on a 2S 800mah. After struggling with my other Mini Arrow I was pleasantly surprised to see this one fly on the first launch. As I was riding the bull during the trimming process I centered my elevator stick and the wing immediately dove. I maxed out my elevator trim and tried again with the same result. When I centered the stick it dove, quickly.. not a gradual descent, more like I gave it a lot of down elevator.

At low power, she seemed to fly pretty well. As this was my first flying wing flight (that including an intentional landing) I was was thrilled at how slow and level she came in and kissed the ground ever so lightly. But.. what about that issue of rabid diving with the sticks centered and over 1/2 throttle?

I have reflex and also a visible "up" thrust angle (motor ever so slightly pointing up)

In general, it was a great night of flying. We took 3 planes out, flew them all and brought them all home in one piece :)

a few pics and a rather rubbish video :)

s.jpg
p.jpg
3.jpg