Mini Arrow Too Far Aft CG

Denny H.

Okay, obviously I'm doing something wrong here. I built 2 mini Arrows out of Dollar Tree foam board and they came out perfect! Once I mount the recommended Emax 2300 motor, 30A ESC, Lemon Receiver, and a 3S 1300mAh battery shoved all the way forward, that's where it all goes bad. The CG is about 1 inch from the firewall instead of the 1.75 inches. I had to add 50g of weight in the nose just to get it to balance. I also placed the receiver and ESC in the compartment bays trying to move as much as I can forward. The AUW is now 509g.
The CG seems to be perfect until I put the vertical fins on, which is way aft of the CG. I used foam board to make one set of fins and 3-D printed another set (which is actually lighter) and with either one, the CG is too far aft without adding 50g of lead weight. Does anyone have a clue as to why??
Thanks!

Attachments

• Mini Arrow.jpg
    Mini Arrow.jpg
    684.7 KB · Views: 0

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Okay, obviously I'm doing something wrong here. I built 2 mini Arrows out of Dollar Tree foam board and they came out perfect! Once I mount the recommended Emax 2300 motor, 30A ESC, Lemon Receiver, and a 3S 1300mAh battery shoved all the way forward, that's where it all goes bad. The CG is about 1 inch from the firewall instead of the 1.75 inches. I had to add 50g of weight in the nose just to get it to balance. I also placed the receiver and ESC in the compartment bays trying to move as much as I can forward. The AUW is now 509g.
The CG seems to be perfect until I put the vertical fins on, which is way aft of the CG. I used foam board to make one set of fins and 3-D printed another set (which is actually lighter) and with either one, the CG is too far aft without adding 50g of lead weight. Does anyone have a clue as to why??
Thanks!

Can we see a straight up and down top view please? From here, it looks like your motor is sticking out too far. The firewall should be flush (or nearly so) in the back.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Thanks!
Nope. No clue. Aren't I helpful? Really though, I'm new here, and I haven't a single clue as why your CG is messed up. There are some very experienced people, and some not so much who will chime in soon, with some helpful advice. I hope.

So why did I post? Do I just like to read my own posts? Well, yes I do actually. I also wanted to say that those are some great looking bevel cuts! I'm working really hard to get to that level and I am nowhere close. Good job, man!

Last edited:

Denny H.

Can we see a top view please? From here, it looks like your motor is sticking out too far. The firewall should be flush (or nearly so) in the back.
It is a bit, I did a 3-D print, which fits beautifully! Even on the other plane, I used the 3/16 plywood and it was flush. Still the same results.

Attachments

• Arrow Top View.jpg
    Arrow Top View.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Arrow Side View.jpg
    Arrow Side View.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0

Keno

What you have here is a CG point and a reflex problem. I just launch my new Arrow and it required adjustment to its reflex or up elevon in my case. Keep the plans CG point and make sure the nose drops slightly when you check it. Then add a little bit more up elevon reflex. Building weight forward and aft has been a problem for all and it take time to learn how unwanted weight is added wither it be for or aft. My experience is when you bring a new wing to the field be ready for up elevon. Happy flying

Mode 1

Standard power pod sits flush with the back of the pod.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181105-125353_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20181105-125353_Photos.jpg
    953 KB · Views: 0

Denny H.

Nope. No clue. Aren't I helpful? Really though, I'm new here too, and I haven't a single clue as why your CG is messed up. There are some very experienced people, and some not so much who will chime in soon, with some helpful advice.

So why did I post? Do I like to read my own posts? Well, yes I do actually. I also wanted to say that those are some great looking bevel cuts! I'm working really hard to get to that level and I am nowhere close. Good job, man!
Nope. No clue. Aren't I helpful? Really though, I'm new here, and I haven't a single clue as why your CG is messed up. There are some very experienced people, and some not so much who will chime in soon, with some helpful advice. I hope.

So why did I post? Do I just like to read my own posts? Well, yes I do actually. I also wanted to say that those are some great looking bevel cuts! I'm working really hard to get to that level and I am nowhere close. Good job, man!

Mode 1

I'm impressed that you got all of the electronics inside. On my arrow with the 2205 I had to move the rx into the wing to accommodate the 30amp esc and only a 850mah 3s battery. Well done!

Denny H.

Standard power pod sits flush with the back of the pod.
Here is the first one I built with the motor mount flush. It still needed 48g of wight in the nose. The new one with the modified motor mount requires only 2g more.

Attachments

• 1st Arrow.jpg
    1st Arrow.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 0

Denny H.

I'm impressed that you got all of the electronics inside. On my arrow with the 2205 I had to move the rx into the wing to accommodate the 30amp esc and only a 850mah 3s battery. Well done!

I put the receiver in one bay and the ESC with extension wires in the other bay

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
It is a bit, I did a 3-D print, which fits beautifully! Even on the other plane, I used the 3/16 plywood and it was flush. Still the same results.
That is a LOT. Your fancy motor mount is screwing you my friend. It has the motor WAAAAY too aft. Use a standard firewall and you should be much much better.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I see what you did there. Awesome!! o_O:D You sir, rock! Mentally Jimmy Hendricks level kind of rock. Seriously, on my best day, I might could have come up with that. Reading Comprehension 101.
Denny H. said:
Thanks! Here is the foam board cutter I use.
What makes that better than a utility knife? The handle?

I don't know why I can't quote where you quoted me twice to make the point of me liking my quotes. Isn't the internet awesome? Regardless, the question still stands.