Mini Beechcraft Baron G58 - Opinions and suggestions appreciated/wanted/needed

David_G58

First off a little background information:

As you could already tell from from my name, my favorite aircraft of all time is the Beechcraft Baron G58 and I have been desperately tried to find any kind of easy to build (or to buy) foamie models of this beauty. Unfortunately, the only ones I could find were the absolutely stunning (but expensive) composite model from RC Aerodyne (scaleflying.com) and some sketchy foamies that you couldn´t even find any useful plans for
Then I also had to find out that there actually was a company that sold balsa plans (that you could kinda use for foamies) for the Baron 58P (which is virtually the exact same as all Baron 58s when it comes to it´s airframe). But that company, Marutaka, apparently went out of business a couple years ago :(
BUT I luckily found images of just that company's plans on this forum and thought: "... Yeah... that could work... maybe :p"

So here are some pictures of my Baron in it´s current state of building (I started three days ago and yesterday and today I wasn´t working on it at all since now it´s just about installing the electronics in order to be able to glue the "engine covers"/ motor mounts on and covering them like the nose with that thick paper. You can easily build this plane in one day, I´m guessing about 3 hours max. from having nothing to having a flying Baron ( I could be terribly wrong though since time just flies when building ;) ). )

I actually have way more pictures but the majority of them was to large of a size :( I have posted the same thing on RCGroups.com and there you can see all images I made: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2455966

Yes, I now that I kinda messed up the nose by making it that short and wide instead of long and narrower as it should be (but that is absolutely easily avoidable)

If anyone wants more information about this build or even a build log just tell me and I will do it :). Need (want) to build a new one anyways :D

Specs:

Wingspan: 75cm

Length: 52cm

Width (thickest point): ca. 8cm

Height (highest point): ca. 9cm

Weight (Airframe only, no electronics yet): 117g

Material: Fuselage+Horizontal Stabs+ Vertical Stab+"Engine"/Motor mounts/covers= 3mm Foamboard
Wing=5mm Foamboard
Windshield+Windows+Nose Cover= thick paper, white + blue

Estimated max. AUW: 260g

Motors: NTM Propdrive 1312 2600kv 42W

Servos: HobbyKing 3.6g, 0.12s, 0.45kg torque

ESCs: Turnigy Plush 12a, 2a BEC

Battery: 460mah 25C-40C nano-tech 3S

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Welcome to the forum, that's an awesome build!
It looks very clean and professional. I really like how you did the wing mount, I haven't seen a design like that before.

David_G58

Welcome to the forum, that's an awesome build!
It looks very clean and professional. I really like how you did the wing mount, I haven't seen a design like that before.

Thanks a lot :) I´m quite a fan of that wing mount as well and it takes like 2 seconds to de- and attach the wing :D
A larger version of this design will follow since this model was kind of an "accident" :) When it came out of my printer I just thought: "What the... well, why not, will probably look super cute" :D

Last edited:

David_G58

Very cool wing mount design! I'd love to see a build log and plans for this!

Thanks!

Thank you :) Do you want to have these plans with a 75cm wingspan or the bigger 126cm wingspan version? I can make them bigger or smaller for you though not really accurately ;) I just alter the width in PosteRazor to a size that I think might roughly be able to fit the preferred size and after I print them I measure the plans. That´s where the 75 cm and 126 cm come from ;) I can definitely do a build log question is; What size? :) 75 cm wingspan would be the Mini Baron G58 that I was posting here