Solved Mini Corsair battery won’t fit?

WarbirdsRKool

So I am building a FT Mighty Mini Corsair, and am practically done, I’m at the part where you slide the BBQ skewer in the foam to secure the battery.But the battery is too tall for the skewer to go through. I have a 850mAh 75c 3s battery that they feature for the mini Corsair. Any ideas?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
BBS BBQ Skewer. :)

It's your model. You WILL crash it and have to repair or rebuild it. Mod your build to accommodate the lipo. You will need to mod the build anyway after crashes so might as well start now. :)

WarbirdsRKool

BBS BBQ Skewer. :)

It's your model. You WILL crash it and have to repair or rebuild it. Mod your build to accommodate the lipo. You will need to mod the build anyway after crashes so might as well start now. :)
Well I’ll try, but I don’t really have an idea for how to mod it.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Post some photos in a build log.

Show the forum the problem and let the old hands offer up some advice. :)

VerinWville

I've built a corsair and have had the same problem with that size battery. I would suggest ditching the BBQ skewers for the battery and just cut away until the battery friction fits in the nose. You'll probably still need some nose weight. I never could get my corsair to fly how i wanted it to so i just built the mini mustang instead which was a dream!!! Good luck!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I don’t really have an idea for how to mod it.
Moding is a learned skill. You need to make changes to the plan to fit your needs and preferences.

The plans are only sugestions. I would not deviate too much from the throws & CG.

WarbirdsRKool

Post some photos in a build log.

Show the forum the problem and let the old hands offer up some advice. :)
Well here is a picture of the battery too big for the skewer. Btw this is Mk.4 and the wings were reused from the last one.
image.jpg
image.jpg

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Can you run the skewer lengthwise over the battery?

Can you run the skewer under the battery and use a strap or rubber band to hold the lipo in place?

There has to be more than one way to skin this... :)

KSP_CPA

Had a similar problem with my 850 3S. I cut a much shorter power pack and put the battery in the nose behind the power pack. Face the battery wires back and route the plug up into the hatch compartment. I routed the wires for the motor through the first former into the hatch compartment.

CG was good since I was a bit tail heavy before. Unfortunately, I also haven’t been able to get this bird to fly either after one attempt, it broke the firewall on the launch a couple weeks back.

sh0sey

Reviving this old thread to share my experiences with the solutions explained above. I had the same problem this week when I went to install battery and there was NO room to fit it like they did in the build video. This is only my 3rd FT build, so I’m still getting comfortable with deviating from plans.

These couple of “mods” made perfect sense though and seem to be the only way to make it flyable anyway.

I was pretty tail heavy after the build, so I needed my battery as far forward as possible. The only way to fit the 3s 850mah batt in the nose was to shorten the power pod and relocated the esc.

Also wanted to make the Cowling removable, so used Velcro to hold it in place, and was able to avoid having skewers coming out of the cowling by doing it this way.

Flew the maiden yesterday, and while it still felt a touch tail heavy, there’s not much I could do about it without adding a little lead in the nose. It’s pretty heavy already for its size, so I’m opting against that, and just gave it some down elevator trim to keep it tame. Not quite as easy to fly as the Mini Mustang, but still goes exactly where you tell it to and with the F pack it has ridiculous thrust and authority.

On the hand launch, I hardly even threw it. At 75% throttle it was begging to leave my hand. Shot straight out and climbed away with ease. A little left aileron trim and down elevator trim and we were good to go.

All that’s left now are decals!

Thank you to you guys above for the solutions that gave me some direction and got me in the air. Much appreciated!!

Attachments

• B707FD49-1ED6-47A3-A5C0-C4C670AA013E.jpeg
    B707FD49-1ED6-47A3-A5C0-C4C670AA013E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 571D59EC-387E-42F1-BC5D-D0ACC9F5DA78.jpeg
    571D59EC-387E-42F1-BC5D-D0ACC9F5DA78.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 933DAD90-3C61-4055-8793-4EFBBF10FF8B.jpeg
    933DAD90-3C61-4055-8793-4EFBBF10FF8B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

sh0sey

I used this gloss navy blue, but if I could go back and do it again, I’d be curious about trying a flat paint. The gloss just shows all the flaws, and working with foam board you can’t help some of the indentations that show up. I’m still pretty satisfied in how it turned out, but I’ve only painted 3 planes at this point, so I’m still trying to figure out what I like and what works for me.

Love it! What color did you use and what brand? Glossy sea blue? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0