Mini corsair / broken prop

Freddie

I recently built a corsair and the prop broke twice after the first two fights. I don't understand as I turn off the power before it crashes. Any advice to stop my prop breaking?

Arcfyre

Elite member
I had the same issue with my mini mustang.

Really the only thing you can do is try to land it at the lowest possible airspeed in some tall grass or something similar.

Either that, or add some landing gear. Minis don't like extra weight though and the Corsair is already pretty heavy.

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
Also look for more flexible props, there are wide differences in compounds. Cold weather can make them more brittle too. Landing gear needn’t be mega heavy if you use thinner lightweight wheels and 2mm wire. Keep the gear near the CG, if it’s a choice of near the nose or toward the back, nose side is better, since you can counter that more easily. I find my bulkheads break before my props but it’s been above freezing here most of this month.
The prop will keep freewheeling if the airspeed is up, even with the throttle off. You could try flaring more onto the tail as you land, to keep the prop up until the last minute.
“Arrestor grass” is handy, as is a soft field, but when it’s snowy or frozen both can be in short supply.

I once had an old RC pilot tell me to keep my broken props and figure out how to balance them with one blade. Supposedly it's much more efficient with one blade IF you can get it to balance properly. Someday I will be trying that.

FDS

Elite member
I think he was pulling your leg. Did he send you to the store for Tartan paint?
Old guys are savage.

Maybe and I know the internet isn't the greatest source of information but it seems like there were some historical applications of it. The only reason I tend to give him the credibility is because he's the hobby store owner I deal with and he used to race RC aircraft. Like I said, someday I will try it and broken props are only taking up a small space :)

Reactions: FDS

Freddie

Thanks everyone your advice has been great and I bought a pc props and their pitch is reasonable and also they do not break

mayan

Legendary member
I would also recommend the APC props over other options, I too find that they are more durable.

mayan

Legendary member
One blade prop can be a cool use of all my broken props :), let us know if it work when you've tried it :).

Tench745

Master member
Maybe and I know the internet isn't the greatest source of information but it seems like there were some historical applications of it. The only reason I tend to give him the credibility is because he's the hobby store owner I deal with and he used to race RC aircraft. Like I said, someday I will try it and broken props are only taking up a small space :)
One-bladed props are a thing. I have seen some experiments with RC sizes, and I know of at least one full-scale Aeronca that flew a single blade prop. https://www.ladieslovetaildraggers.com/blog/no-way-a-one-bladed-propeller/

As for breaking props on landings, one thing that I haven't seen suggested here yet is programming the ESC brake. When you set throttle to zero, the ESC will stop the prop wherever it is. If you do this high enough you can watch the prop. If it has stopped vertically you can blip the throttle and try to bump it to horizontal. Some people swear by this, but in my experience a prop that's windmilling is more likely to move out of the way when you touch down than one which has the brake applied.