Mini Corsair flight challenges... Help.

Zeligman

Hi I finished the mini Corsair and have flown it 4 times and can't seem to get it to fly horizontal... It goes vertical almost immediately and hovers like a helicopter.

I added weight to the front thinking it might be tail heavy... And with the weights the cg was in the right place but it's still helicopter-ing. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Jf IMG_20200605_143008.jpg

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
the mini-corsair is one the toughest planes to get the CG correct on. you CAN NOT add a lot of weight to the tail, which you did. also make sure with low wing planes that you flip them over when checking CG, your fingers should be on the top surface of the wing.

this plane is also already pretty fast with pretty hi wing loading, adding all that tape is doing nothing but adding a ton more weight which is gonna raise the wing loading even higher making it that much harder to fly. in future build don't do that!

sorry,

me :cool:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I agree with @mrjdstewart, the mini planes are more sensitive to CG then the larger planes and all that tape does you no favors. Beyond that the motor selection looks good. One thing might be the thrust angle in you pod, you could try to go with some down thrust to help pull the plane down to level, maybe 3-5 degrees. I like to have a difference of 2-4mm from top to bottom of the firewall. Could be to much thrust on launch, maybe ease up on the left stick a little during the toss. Other factors could come into play to make a comedy of errors from prop pitch to trimming, bad servos won't center properly, anything. Start with the first ones and get some video so we can better help diagnose the problem next time

Zeligman

It's a 6x3... Power pack a. It's actually not tape but peel and stick vinyl... Oracal 751c. I peel the paper off before applying. I triple checked the servos.. But the power pack has gotten mushed up a bit... I can redo power pack easily enough so that might be the culprit. Sad about the tail weight but that might be the issue. Thanks for the help even if some of it was tough love 😊👍

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It's a 6x3... Power pack a. It's actually not tape but peel and stick vinyl... Oracal 751c. I peel the paper off before applying. I triple checked the servos.. But the power pack has gotten mushed up a bit... I can redo power pack easily enough so that might be the culprit. Sad about the tail weight but that might be the issue. Thanks for the help even if some of it was tough love 😊👍
Yea sorry about the tough love bro, just the minis are so sensitive. Once dialled in they are great. Myself i would build a new one sans vinyl or even go with a Mustang. Its easier to fly. Or you could do some other cool warbirds from @MiniacRC or @nerdnic. They have some cool builds as well

Zeligman

I like the vinyl because 1) adds some strength and survivability to the foam and 2) because I am a horrible painter. Actually got the corsair to fly for a few minutes - added washers to the front.. But alas the extra weight ripped the whole front end off with a rough landing lol. Explorer flew well until rubber bands broke midair and wings went cockeyed... Mustang definitely flies much easier but damn the corsair looks cool. Is the full size one as touchy? Thanks again! 😊 IMG_20200608_184200.jpg

Last edited:

greg b.

I like the vinyl because 1) adds some strength and survivability to the foam and 2) because I am a horrible painter. Actually got the corsair to fly for a few minutes - added washers to the front.. But alas the extra weight ripped the whole front end off with a rough landing lol. Explorer flew well until rubber bands broke midair and wings went cockeyed... Mustang definitely flies much easier but damn the corsair looks cool. Is the full size one as touchy? Thanks again! 😊 View attachment 171437
What blue oracal did you use? Thinking of using oracal on a model that I am finishing but it's hard to tell which color to order. Do you like the blue that you used - is it a realistic corsair blue?