Mini Corsair mods - The Frankenstein

Flyer4god

Some “upscale” experimenting with leftover foamboard.

1. Full bottom airfoil (inspired by NerdNic)
2. Rounded cowling
3. Fully rounded bottom of the fuse

I call it the Frankenstein haha

If anyone has any ideas what else is doable to scale her up, let me know! :)

Attachments

• 4CF75BF7-73AA-47AD-BE9D-44EAB9BD2119.jpeg
    4CF75BF7-73AA-47AD-BE9D-44EAB9BD2119.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 19A0A19E-5389-4EA5-B2EC-E4A0A6D9A1A5.jpeg
    19A0A19E-5389-4EA5-B2EC-E4A0A6D9A1A5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

PoorManRC

Master member
Looks good!!! Asthetically, Missiles come to mind....
3 on pods under each Wing, right past the fold.

LOVE the Wingtip treatment!! That's going to be a part of almost ALL my Builds. That "cavity" always bugged me. I may do mine out of Poster Board, to maybe keep some of the Designed in Negative Camber, if it really helps....
Honestly, I'm not sure yet WHAT purpose it serves!! :unsure::eek::geek:

d8veh

Elite member
If you don't have the under-cambered wing tips, you should think about adding some wash-out on the wing tips, which isn't easy to do with foam-board. Without either, you can get some vicious tip stalls. Some planes are worse than others. You'll only know when you fly the plane. Please comment on that aspect of its flying when you've flown it a few times. Real data is always better than theory.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor

LOVE the Wingtip treatment!! That's going to be a part of almost ALL my Builds. That "cavity" always bugged me. I may do mine out of Poster Board, to maybe keep some of the Designed in Negative Camber, if it really helps....

Cambered tips mitigate tip stalls, which usually lead to spins. Without wither washout or camber there is an increased likelihood that a stall situation could propagate at the tip of the wing which then stalls first. As the angle of bank increases due to the asymmetrical stall load factor and angle of attack increases, which worsens the condition usually resulting in a spin.

jaredstrees

Exactly. And really, color them the same as the bottom wing and you'll hardly see them. And you certainly won't see those tips in the air, but you'll be glad they are there even if you don't know it. I've got a few planes that don't have washout or cambered tips and turns can certainly be more interesting. especially if you don't keep the speed up!

PoorManRC

Master member
OK!! As is the new usual, great advice, backed up with great experience! ;)(y)(y)
Under Cambered tips it is! I will at least close up those Open Ends, where the foldover stops.... Where I live (Arizona), sand and dust can easily get inside the Wings. Something I REALLY don't want!!

Thank You Gentlemen!! :)

jaredstrees

For sure close those up. And flying without cambered tips is fine, but I would reserve it for when you have a little more flight time. Just think of cambered wingtips as training wheels! You can take them off sooner or later.

By the way, nice looking Corsair!

PoorManRC

Master member
@jaredstrees - I might be keeping the "training wheels" for a while.... I've learned that it doesn't matter that I flew things from a Cessna 172 to a T-33 Jet.
I'm NOT ready for RC Flight.... Yet!! :p:LOL:
Fortunately, being in Ground RC Vehicles for over 30 years, has got me comfortable with driving and controlling something coming towards me at a decent rate of speed.

To the OP, or anyone reading this: Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat - and get as much as possible on Video!!

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
@jaredstrees - I might be keeping the "training wheels" for a while.... I've learned that it doesn't matter that I flew things from a Cessna 172 to a T-33 Jet.
I'm NOT ready for RC Flight.... Yet!! :p:LOL:
Fortunately, being in Ground RC Vehicles for over 30 years, has got me comfortable with driving and controlling something coming towards me at a decent rate of speed.

To the OP, or anyone reading this: Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat - and get as much as possible on Video!!
I usually find that FT planes fly great with the camber. They don't really need it if you're not stalling or doing high AOA acro, they just come in handy for landing. Man what I wouldn't do to fly a T-33 ;p. At least I can throw a Super Decathlon around pretty good.

PoorManRC

Master member
I usually find that FT planes fly great with the camber.
<br> Man what I wouldn't do to fly a T-33 ;p. At least I can throw a Super Decathlon around pretty good.

T-33 was kinda cool..... But I would've given my 2 favorite body parts, for some seat time in the Aircraft my DAD Flew!! :oops::eek::cool:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

2. Rounded cowling

Looking at the images? Nice looking plane. You've got the same disease I do, though: Too Muchimus Gluis. (Yeah, just coined it. You read it here first, and it will likely never be used again.) I try so hard to not over use the glue, but the Bix just seems to slather it on. Personally, I'm still trying to work that one out.

PoorManRC

Master member
Looking at the images? Nice looking plane. You've got the same disease I do, though: Too Muchimus Gluis. (Yeah, just coined it. You read it here first, and it will likely never be used again.) I try so hard to not over use the glue, but the Bix just seems to slather it on. Personally, I'm still trying to work that one out.

"Be sure to use a GOOD bead of Glue..."
~ Josh Bixler

"Too Muchimus Gluis" I'm gonna have to remember that!!! :ROFLMAO::LOL::cool:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
T-33 was kinda cool..... But I would've given my 2 favorite body parts, for some seat time in the Aircraft my DAD Flew!! :oops::eek::cool:

Okay that warranted a google search! Must be awesome to know a sleddriver, let alone be family with one! Holy cow! I'm there with you giving up body parts for SR-71 time.

PoorManRC

Master member
Okay that warranted a google search! Must be awesome to know a sleddriver, let alone be family with one! Holy cow! I'm there with you giving up body parts for SR-71 time.

You can only imagine - like me!! My Dad was in the rarified Air. They all had Astronaut Wings, which I thought was even more COOL!!
I still know some of the other Crewmembers... Not one of them, a Hotshot, even though they had every reason to be. Great Guys!

Thankfully, my Dad took a few mind-blowing pictures up there. They've only been Declassified in the past couple of years.

Flyer4god

Hmm, rockets could really look cool. Not sure how belly landings would handle that addition.

Flyer4god

OKAY I STAND CORRECTED!!

Maiden ended up with an epic tip stall and a 20' spin I couldn't recover from. I wasn't flying super slow either. She was stable in flight though.
Back to the drafting board...

Flyer4god

If you don't have the under-cambered wing tips, you should think about adding some wash-out on the wing tips, which isn't easy to do with foam-board. Without either, you can get some vicious tip stalls. Some planes are worse than others. You'll only know when you fly the plane. Please comment on that aspect of its flying when you've flown it a few times. Real data is always better than theory.

What have you had in mind with wash-out on the wing tips? Everything you prophesied came true...

jimy2wheels

2. Rounded cowling

I use the bottom of a life water bottle for the entire cowling almost all the way back to the cockpit helps protect the wings and doesn't get mashed when you crash I also use parts of other bottled water bottles to form the cockpit and all of the decking for the same reason it doesn't crack

PoorManRC

Master member
Hmm, rockets could really look cool. Not sure how belly landings would handle that addition.
..... Given that it's a Corsair, with tipped up Gull Wings, I'd think that Air to Air Missiles in the middle of the end pieces would CLEAR most belly landings. 😉
Of course, your choice!

Flyer4god

I use the bottom of a life water bottle for the entire cowling almost all the way back to the cockpit helps protect the wings and doesn't get mashed when you crash I also use parts of other bottled water bottles to form the cockpit and all of the decking for the same reason it doesn't crack

That's actually great idea! I'll try that next time I build this one. Actually, I want to build 30" wingspan one. I'll just have to play with bottles for sometime haha. Thanks for the tip!