Mini Corsair Version 2

moke

Got the second flight in this morning with Mini Corsair. I had the battery about 1/2" too far back and it was a 'squirrely' flight. Landed and moved battery as far forward as it would go and next flight was nice. Thinking of stepping up to 3s 1300 from the 850 I'm using, to help C.g.

willsteffen

Curious about eliminating the rudder and just have a bank and yank plane.. It would lighten it up a bit too.

Thoughts?

willsteffen

I've got a pretty full hanger of aerobatic toys. This looked like a fun FT kit to mess with... Can't hurt to try and report back.. Worst case, I retro fit a rudder or just build another...

Rhaps

Elite member
It came out reasonably well..
1619104851061.png 1619104884939.png
...and then I screwed up
1619104975545.png

Bigeard

We found the Zero flies better between the two, but then again the corsair may be a bit heavy in comparison due to the complexity of the wing. Only my ol' man has the corsair however, he made it before I could trace the plans onto a sheet to scratch build one. So I only got a zero while he had both.

I am not holding my breath on plans being released soon due to simple stick STILL being delayed, I really wish they would give some kind of announcement on why or when about that, but I get the impression they may be holding out on releasing plans for several months going forward with all their planes instead of just one month. Business and needing funding after all.

We fly ours on a "F pack" equivalent motor, paired with a 950mah 3s lipo. which fits great in the battery area. The Corsair has a 6x3 prop on it and my zero has a 4" 3 blade prop.. I actually threw a 2700kv motor on my zero, and it absolutely SCREAMS at full throttle!

Neither plane did we bother with rudder, saves weight and we found we never really use the rudder on the mini series planes, they're just too much fun as a bank-n-yank with ailerons and elevator.

My biggest complaint about them is the flat bottom tail looks terrible. you CAN round them out by curving the bottom corners of the former pieces, and cutting the rounded foam piece shorter to match, it's a pain, but the end result looks 200% better I believe. Also yes the default way the servo wire goes is a bit more of a bend than I feel is nessesary, maybe it helps keep it steadier this way, but I also straightened the pathway out so it's easier on the servo.

We BOTH agree however, that the New corsair flies much better than the original mini corsair did. lighter, and more forgiving characteristics. Also the battery hatch is a vast improvement.

Hello Intashu , I have a friend who has an unwanted , unused FT corsair kit , I might have the chance of buying it from him cheaper . It is The model 2 kit version of the Mini Corsair which I like apart from its looks which seem fairly basic . Do you think it would be easy enough to mod it up a little by fixing around the front fuselage those angled pieces you see on the master build which I assume to be exhaust outlets ? and possibly adding a landing gear and rear wheel ?

Intashu

Elite member
Hello Intashu , I have a friend who has an unwanted , unused FT corsair kit , I might have the chance of buying it from him cheaper . It is The model 2 kit version of the Mini Corsair which I like apart from its looks which seem fairly basic . Do you think it would be easy enough to mod it up a little by fixing around the front fuselage those angled pieces you see on the master build which I assume to be exhaust outlets ? and possibly adding a landing gear and rear wheel ?
This is a question of your own ability and skill to modify and craft foamboard and paper more than a question of what's possible... Because with enough patience, practice, and clever thinking, you absolutely could do all of these things, But you may need to get a little creative with exactly how you'd go about doing them. I would caution landing gear on the mini planes because the way it's designed does rely pretty heavily on the little wooden spar to keep the wings together, and landing hard in gear increases the risk of breaking or weakening that point and folding your wings. So if you do that, I'd also suggest you beefen up the wing spar a bit. I mention this because the Trojan has/had a design flaw in the cutout for the spar where it easily cracks (there's a slight notch at the bend, and one side is thinner), we had one fold it's wing because of this, and the corsair's spar is similar is size.

As for the flares around the engine cowling, that's easy enough to add, but takes time and patience to get them to flare and look correctly.

Bigeard

just got my 'kit' Mini Corsair. Less than a week from order to delivery. Wow on quality of kit. Decals, plywood parts, and other parts. Looks like quality to me. Anxious to start the build process.
Hello Moke , was the Mini Corsair you got , the New Mini Corsair (737mm wingspan) ?

Corsair714

does it fly good with the three blade prop ? and what size is it ?
It would fly with a three bladed prop. As long as you get the proper size(no pun intended). I would imagine a 5x4 tri blade would work well. 5x4 are the props typically used on racing quads so you can get lots for cheap and they are very durable.

Bigeard

It’s a different build. The structure of the new mini Corsair is a better design than the master series. Turns out, they didn’t just scale up the new mini, but combined it with the wing of the master series full size Corsair. They could solve so many problems for me by just posting the PDF of what Noah used to build it. Don’t understand why they won’t. I’ve just about got a 200% scale of the new mini built. Have had to modify a few things and add a box spar to make it work. It’s a tad smaller than their giant Corsair.
Good to hear about the improvements but watching the build video , I would have been happier if they had made a wood spar that actually spanned across the fuselage section ! Maybe thats what they meant by the wings being a lighter build .

Bigeard

We found the Zero flies better between the two, but then again the corsair may be a bit heavy in comparison due to the complexity of the wing. Only my ol' man has the corsair however, he made it before I could trace the plans onto a sheet to scratch build one. So I only got a zero while he had both.

I am not holding my breath on plans being released soon due to simple stick STILL being delayed, I really wish they would give some kind of announcement on why or when about that, but I get the impression they may be holding out on releasing plans for several months going forward with all their planes instead of just one month. Business and needing funding after all.

We fly ours on a "F pack" equivalent motor, paired with a 950mah 3s lipo. which fits great in the battery area. The Corsair has a 6x3 prop on it and my zero has a 4" 3 blade prop.. I actually threw a 2700kv motor on my zero, and it absolutely SCREAMS at full throttle!

Neither plane did we bother with rudder, saves weight and we found we never really use the rudder on the mini series planes, they're just too much fun as a bank-n-yank with ailerons and elevator.

My biggest complaint about them is the flat bottom tail looks terrible. you CAN round them out by curving the bottom corners of the former pieces, and cutting the rounded foam piece shorter to match, it's a pain, but the end result looks 200% better I believe. Also yes the default way the servo wire goes is a bit more of a bend than I feel is nessesary, maybe it helps keep it steadier this way, but I also straightened the pathway out so it's easier on the servo.

We BOTH agree however, that the New corsair flies much better than the original mini corsair did. lighter, and more forgiving characteristics. Also the battery hatch is a vast improvement.
Just a quick thought ,Intashu regarding the flat botton. Instead of remodeling the formers to fit into a rounder shape , would it not be possible to add extra former sections to the flat bottom and then mold / bend a round section of foam to fit and glue ?

Intashu

Elite member
Just a quick thought ,Intashu regarding the flat botton. Instead of remodeling the formers to fit into a rounder shape , would it not be possible to add extra former sections to the flat bottom and then mold / bend a round section of foam to fit and glue ?
If you added to the bottom of the formers on the tail, it would be too large and stretch too far down looking unnatural.