mini dart

bigkan

I am a newbie and I am interested in scratch building the Mini dart. I have most of the the required items except for motor mount pods and power distribution module. I do not plan on running any extras ( i.e cameras, lights etc... )do I need the power distribution module? Do I have to have a a 6 ch receiver? Can I use a 4 ch receiver and pair it prior to plugging in the 2 motors and 2 servos?

luke1350a

you should be fine with a four channel receiver but i don't really know, it says you need a 6 channel, but you will need the power distribution module if your only using one battery.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
you should be fine with a four channel receiver but i don't really know, it says you need a 6 channel, but you will need the power distribution module if your only using one battery.
He shouldn't need the pdb as long as he use an external Bec, I've been using my 1106 motors seperatly along with a Bec to power the receiver and it works just fine, just what works for me. Look at the super bee build video to see how the setup is done, only difference is you would need an external Bec.

bigkan

thanks. any suggestions for the mini power pods? I can't find plans for the dart, but I did find plans for swapable mini power pod

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
you will either have to cut your own from balsa or 3D print some pods.

the reason they recommend a 6 channel is so you can do differential thrust which is what gives you yaw control. it is not needed to fly but makes it a little more exciting and maneuverable.

if you already have the 1106 motors then all you need is 2 small esc's (6A) and wire it up like normal, then set wing type to elevon.

good luck,

me :cool:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
do I need the power distribution module?
No, a power distribution board, makes the install easier but is not necessary. Just make a parallel Y connecter for your battery.

Can I use a 4 ch receiver and pair it prior to plugging in the 2 motors and 2 servos?

Yes, a 4 channel Rx will work. You will need to get power front 1 ESC. Disconnect the positive wire from the other

bigkan

thanks. I'm not sure why i need a 6 ch receiver. I thought the channels are motor 1, motor 2, aleron 1, aleron 2? Am I missing something to have differential thrust. Wont the mixing function on the 6 channel transmitter take care or the rest? I think I went overboard on the esc. I bought 30 amp. will that be a problem?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
30A for an 1106 is WAY overkill. i believe their max Amp draw on 3S is below 6A. for 4S its roughly 8A. LINK

if you have a transmitter than can do channel assigning and mixing then yes you could use a 4-channel. typically the diff thrust for right motor is on the aux1, which is channel 6.

good luck,

me :cool:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
thanks. I'm not sure why i need a 6 ch receiver. I thought the channels are motor 1, motor 2, aleron 1, aleron 2?
That's correct, 4 channels is all you will need.

Wont the mixing function on the 6 channel transmitter take care or the rest?
Yes, you will need a Rudder to Throttle1 & Rudder to Throttle2 mix for differential thrust.