Mini Edge 540 Build

mayan

Legendary member
Horray option number one worked. I feared I’d still need to push out the motor pod a bit forward but I don’t.

FC986552-01A6-4091-913C-7037D1659087.jpeg

I also had a problem with the 2.5g servos that I put in. They worked great with the 60% scaled version but not on this one. So I had to pull them out and install 5g servos instead.
F75B5C7C-80CE-4292-96EE-037F8355C421.jpeg

Any how the Mini FT Edge version 2 75% scaled is ready and waiting for the weather to change so it can get it’s first maiden.

6947DB7D-7DBF-4344-B69B-62A4E73846D0.jpeg

9693363C-3416-4EF9-85C6-6413A91B08B1.jpeg

F5B688F3-3210-4D33-A238-A506EC7FC000.jpeg

don't see any blood stains. ;) I always make a point of ensuring some blood gets on the foamboard if I cut myself (happens rarely these days but it still happens).
Here you go some blood on the Edge. Might make that the theme and call this version “built with blood”
06FE3BBA-BED5-4EED-AE09-ACD71DFBD52B.jpeg

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Nice work!

Do you have any of the build weights?

Just interested for future works!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Nice work!

Do you have any of the build weights?

Just interested for future works!

Have fun!
Of course I do. Taking your advice as always :). It weighs about 540g take in mind that I haven’t removed any paper from the FB. I will eventually make a third version to give it that final touch and that might very likely be one of the things that will be added.

mayan

Legendary member
Was that the full-sized version or the mini?

Have fun!
That was for the 75% scaled version. The original model should weigh around 680 without the battery. Which kinda makes me doubt now the chances of the b pack motor to work well. I think version number 3 with the paper removed is going to start very soon. I am curious to compare the weight difference.

mayan

Legendary member
Ok well yesterday night I couldn’t check the motor with the prop on to feel if I was getting enough thrust because everyone in the house was asleep this morning I checked it and am not happy with the results.

The weight of the build is more than I thought it would be. Using a 9x4.7 SF prop and the following 3S 1000,1300,1600 mah batteries, I didn’t feel like it had enough thrust to fly well even at full throttle let alone do 3D flying.

At this point I have a few options:
1) Try a bigger prop 10x4.5 which might provide more thrust but makes me worry about the plane wanting to roll (I hope I got this right).
2) Change over to a c pack motor. Which will surely create enough thrust and help with CG too. Only worried about not being able to use a 9x4.7 prop and the torque effect that I might get with a bigger motor (hope I got this right too).
3) Build a fresh version same scale size but remove some paper from the FB as well as try and build lighter in terms of glue, etc.

I am really debating what to do. After checking I realized that I only have a 10x7 prop and sure it will work with the motor I have installed or the b pack motor. Not sure that the c pack motor can work with a 9x4.7 prop. And about building the 3rd version it’s gonna take a bit of time cause my hands are cut in so many places that it just hurts to much :(.

What’s your thoughts?

mayan

Legendary member
Ok well the b pack motor on the Mini Edge was replaced with a c pack motor. Still haven’t done a thrust check will do one tomorrow. Mean while I started building yet another one to try remove some of the paper from the FB to check how it effects the weight. Hoping for a lighter and cleaner build this time.

Got my pieces in order let’s build that new Edge version number 3.
046BCED5-A4E2-44EA-9D44-136E416A3573.jpeg

Hyper46havoc

Could you cut away some of the inside fuselage before you put outer skin on I'm sure you could lose some weight that way. And is this the mk3 1 a week isn't it. Please watch your fingers with the blades

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Ok well the b pack motor on the Mini Edge was replaced with a c pack motor. Still haven’t done a thrust check will do one tomorrow. Mean while I started building yet another one to try remove some of the paper from the FB to check how it effects the weight. Hoping for a lighter and cleaner build this time.

Got my pieces in order let’s build that new Edge version number 3.
View attachment 125621
Just a few points to consider when making it lighter.

Non-Structural members and areas do not need paper on both sides considering the FB you are using is stronger than the original build material.

Where 2 pieces of FB are sandwiched together with glue feel free to remove one of the internal layers of paper from the sandwich. that way the remaining layer of paper can be glued to both pieces of the foam without seriously reducing any structural value.

Areas like decks and hatches are normally too heavy if made from standard FB pieces and can be lightened by the removal of the internal layer of paper or, as in the case of rear decks, if replaced with paper and a couple of foam only formers.

Wings are considered as totally structural and are built as normal, (unless scaled down in size), wing tip plates though can be totally paper free as the aerodynamic load is actually quite small. The tail feathers are like the wing and considered as structural and should not be weakened by removing paper.

If you find that through your attempts to build very lightly there is a little weakness in a piece/section/overall it is possible to make the part/plane more rigid with an application of minwax or paint which binds the paper fibres more tightly and permanently thereby improving rigidity.

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
I just finished my night shift but did some great progress with the 3rd version of the Mini Edge. As I mentioned yesterday I decided to build this version trying to keep it light.

I removed paper from a lot of parts. Up to now I removed paper from the rear fuselage piece, some formers that were c folded (removed the paper from both the sides that connected to one another), the fuselage bottom pieces (parts labeled B1 and B2), and the turtle deck piece on which I used a razor blade to cut the foam thickness as much as possible (although next time I’ll probably use poster board instead).

I don’t have a picture of the progress so far but it looks good and definitely feels lighter. More later...

mayan

Legendary member
It is time consuming, until you build multiple of the same plane, then it is time saving because they’re reusable.
If you glue them to poster board for sure. But since I am still playing around with the build to get it to fly properly I didn’t make long terms plans just yet. Although I might very soon because I am happy with the size of the 75% scale version.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
If you glue them to poster board for sure. But since I am still playing around with the build to get it to fly properly I didn’t make long terms plans just yet. Although I might very soon because I am happy with the size of the 75% scale version.
I don’t even use poster board, haven’t found it necessary, of course if you build the same plane ten times it might help.