Mini Edge 540 Build

Hyper46havoc

I just tape the paper to foam and cut it out no making templates then throw all paper away it's so easy to print more no point saving it
Screenshot_20190304-172956_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190304-173006_Gallery.jpg

Paracodespoder

Elite member
I just tape the paper to foam and cut it out no making templates then throw all paper away it's so easy to print more no point saving it View attachment 125660 View attachment 125661
Ah, I completely cut out the plans (minus cavities and servo holes and the likes) then tape them to the foamboard and trace completely around them with a pencil. Then using a sewing pin I mark the corners of all holes and cavities, then after cutting the tape holding the plans on I use a ruler to connect the dots using the plans as a reference. For anyone reading this trying to figure out how to use the plans, try all these ways and decide which works best for you.

Hyper46havoc

Ah, I completely cut out the plans (minus cavities and servo holes and the likes) then tape them to the foamboard and trace completely around them with a pencil. Then using a sewing pin I mark the corners of all holes and cavities, then after cutting the tape holding the plans on I use a ruler to connect the dots using the plans as a reference. For anyone reading this trying to figure out how to use the plans, try all these ways and decide which works best for you.

Like you say it what works best for you. O do all the small details first then just start cutting

mayan

Legendary member
@Hai-Lee thanks buddy. I removed the paper from some more parts today and the overall weight went down by about 150g. I am still missing the some electronics so I’m adding about another 100g to the AUW.

This is what I have up to now weight wise on version 3 using a b pack motor.
DB918C2D-E074-4051-AA51-CEA90C5683FA.jpeg

This is the AUW of version 2 without paper removed using a c pack motor.
2EEA3B31-B270-4D56-9525-9AB294033CEE.jpeg

Now here is a question for you all. I don’t have any more 5g servos laying around they are all in use on my Mini Scout and Simple Scout.

320DA57B-6853-4FE7-B42A-5328B6064518.jpeg

Should I pull out the electronics and put them on version 3 of the Mini Edge or fly until I crash them beyond repair and then transfer the electronics?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@Hai-Lee thanks buddy. I removed the paper from some more parts today and the overall weight went down by about 150g. I am still missing the some electronics so I’m adding about another 100g to the AUW.

This is what I have up to now weight wise on version 3 using a b pack motor.

This is the AUW of version 2 without paper removed using a c pack motor.

Now here is a question for you all. I don’t have any more 5g servos laying around they are all in use on my Mini Scout and Simple Scout.

Should I pull out the electronics and put them on version 3 of the Mini Edge or fly until I crash them beyond repair and then transfer the electronics?

my answer is NEITHER! You might proceed by replacing the servos on the simple scout with 9 gram if you have them to hand or the mini scout servos could be replaced with the 3gram servoc, (2.7?), and the 5 gram servos moved to the new build.

As the new build needs the lighter servos to same the weight and keep the build true to plan.

The simple scout should be able to handle a few extra grams better than the mini scout though. Mind you you will need 4 servos I assume for the new build so the simple scout looks to be the obvious donor.

I like the weight savings though there is a simpler way to pare away foam than using a blade and shaving. For future reference try a good use of sandpaper and sanding block. You get a far cleaner and more even finish!

Keep up the good works!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Mind you you will need 4 servos I assume for the new build so the simple scout looks to be the obvious donor.
Lol. I went to sleep with that thought last night.

For future reference try a good use of sandpaper and sanding block. You get a far cleaner and more even finish!
Didn’t have it in hand at work and didn’t want to get stuck on the build so I improvised :).

mayan

Legendary member
Went out to the field to maiden the 2nd version of the Mini Edge today and had problems. The motor screws came lose and I didn’t have the right size screws to fix it so had to hard pass on maidening it :(.

I have the night shift at work today but tomorrow morning I am going to give it another try. I have to see how it flys!

mayan

Legendary member
Ok well I didn’t want too but sort of had too I took apart my Simple Scout electronics so I can put them in my 3rd version of the Mini Edge. That way I can maiden them both tomorrow and have some thoughts for my final version which will be the one I will base the build post on.

mayan

Legendary member
I finished my 3rd Mini Edge and it’s sitting next to the 2nd version, but not going to fly them today. I am feeling crap and rather rest.

2876E1F5-ACFB-4A03-BD75-1924DDEE2129.jpeg

mayan

Legendary member
So I maidened both V2 and V3 today. I am puzzled by the results because of the short flights I had. What I thought would do better actually did worse. Here are the videos, let me know what you all think which did better? Which one has more potential? Any how I am close on the size of the airframe now and must say that a 75% scale is what I want to keep building for the Mini Edge. With that being said I need to make long term plans of this model using 3M Super 77 and poster board.

Mini Edge V2:
IMG_0463.JPG

Mini Edge V3:
IMG_0462.JPG

Paracodespoder

Elite member
V2 looked pretty good in flight, v3 looked like it was a tad tail-heavy with too much throw on the ailerons and elevator. Tame down those rates and move the cg a quarter to half-inch forward and try again. Good luck on your next outing with them ;).

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Paracodespoder is correct that you need to revise the CG and throws. Especially the throws! In addition I would increase the expo on the elevator and ailerons.

Reasoning: As the plane is significantly lighter the wing and control surfaces need to generate less lift and control forces for the same flying experience. with the main wing it generates the same lift but the plane does not need as much lift so the plane will tend to fly with a different incidence angle on the main wing for the same speed. The control forces are used to rotate the craft and as there is less weight a smaller force will be required for the same control effect.

When setting a plane up for 3D flight the CG point is normally set so that the plane is slightly tail heavy, (in other words the tail has an increased loading), this is actually something that is not required for a sport plane setup normally.

As the plane is significantly lighter you should be aware that there may be a slight thrust angle issue. You may need to do a very slight increase in the planes down thrust angle to help balance the minor wing incidence issue.

Additional things to consider! Check the build to ensure that the lighter plane is equally strong especially in the the wings, and tail, strength and rigidity. If the wings are able to flex then the plane can become a handful especially if the wings are flapping and/or twisting in flight.

You are doing quite well you should try to get more air time on both craft so that you can learn the actual control differences. You are getting there rather quickly!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
@Hai-Lee V3 seemed to always nose dive not sure what was causing it. In terms of crashes both airframes held off quite well the lighter one even held off much better than what I expected. Didn't think of the thrust angle at the field otherwise I would have done a check on that right there and then. Meanwhile I fixed V2 and have it ready for another flight tomorrow morning. V3 needs me to examine the damage and run some last checks on it to see how to get it air worthy again. And thanks for the kind words, don't think I'd be where I am today with building and flying if it wasn't for you and all the other great people on this forum. So thank you everybody!

mayan

Legendary member
It's been a while since I have updated this thread but I think it's time I do.

Lately I have been flying the Mini Edge V2 a lot, and I like this model very much. It has the exact same flying chracteristics as the original FT Edge 540 but is smaller and thus easier to store and transport with a small car like mine :). So far the airframe is holding up to my crashes and I promise you there are plenty of them considering I have no deflection rates, expos, or daul rates dialed into my Tx. This version is heavier than V3 and weighs around 500g but it is using a C pack motor that's not a problem as this motor can produce thrust to push 1000g, thus allowing you to use larger batteries. I have balanced the model using 3S 1000mah all the way up to 3S 1600mah batteries, will try balancing with a 3S 2200mah on my next outting to the field and update you all.

Here is a video of one of my latest outting with the Mini Edge V2 to the field.

I've gotten better at flying it since that video :)

Mean while I started making long term plans for this model because I want to be able to build/repair it faster.
dsadasd.jpg

I keep practicing flying this model every time I go to the field and the last time I went out, I felt super good with the control that I had over the plane. Unfortunately I don't have a good video of it :(.
Any how recommend you build this model if you want to fly something super edgy, fast and fun. JUST BE WARNED: It's addicting :).

Over the next few days I hope to go out to the field again and hope to be able to get some good footage to update this thread with some good videos of me flying the Mini Edge V3 the way I wanted to, so you can see for yourself what I mean about fun, edgy and fast :).

Last edited: