Mini Edge 540 Build

mayan

Legendary member
So here is an update about my progress with this project. Each time I go to the field I take this plane, I crash it every time but the fixes so far have been very minor. I need a bit more practice before I build the final version, but if you want to build it you can; with a C pack motor, a 9x4.7 prop, a 30A+ ESC balancing with 3S 1000mah-1600mah batteries it makes a great flyer.

I hope to finish this project soon.

mayan

Legendary member
Update! Last version of the Mini Edge is built waiting a maiden. I’ll try to get it on video although I am having a few problems with that at the moment.

D80B8FC1-1607-483F-B78E-6C9F82C1868D.jpeg

19B5B5BA-9037-41F9-B964-2CEC0259B6EB.jpeg

Will post all my knowledge and tips from this experience right after I give the new build a maiden flight :).

mayan

Legendary member
Tomorrow I plan on maidening the new Mini Edge and made a few changes on the setup. I made all three holes of the servo arms wide enough for the push rods. Made a modified z bend and tuned the start up position on the bottom hole the one closest to the gear. Let’s see how it goes :). Worse case worse I can tune it at the field.

mayan

Legendary member
The maiden of the new mini Edge went so so and not b/c the plane didn’t fly but because I was having a hard time controlling the plane with no expos setup. I plan to maiden it again over the weekend so I’ll be able to try fix that with the push rods position on the control horns and servo arms.

Anyhow I plan on posting a summary post of this experience giving you all the information that I can for you to be able to build one too :).

More soon...

mayan

Legendary member
Time for an update. It's been a while now that I have been flying the Mini Edge V2, and I love it. At first I had a hard time flying it because I don't have a way to dial in expos into my Tx that was until I was taught that using the positions of the push rods on the control horns and servo arms I could reduce the deflections of the control surfces. Today finally after a handful of crashes, multiple power pods that have been replaced, and a dozen or so fixes to the nose section of the plane; I can finally fly full batteries on it. I am still not able to do aerobatics with it like I'd like too but I will soon once I get more practice on it.

Last night the plane had yet another successful surgery, and this morning it went flying again. Today I was feeling a whole lot more comfortable with my flying with it so I started trying some basic aerobatics. I was trying to do a knife edge when it happened, the plane had an LOS issue and came spinning to the ground. I broke yet another servo on the wing, and the power pod again, probably also the fire wall, this time though I won't repair it anymore. I will strip it of it's electronics and hang it on the wall.

I still have V3 of the Mini Edge that with some minor repairs and electronics can fly again. I feel like I owe this version another try, because I don't feel like it got a real try the last time. I'll give it another try and then write my sum up post :).

mayan

Legendary member
It sounded like the battery monitor started beeping right at the launch.... Was the battery topped off?

Do you have an amp meter to see what the motor is drawing swing that big prop?

Might have exceeded the C rating on the battery as well.... causing a brownout...
I don't have one but I really do think it has something to do with the prop size.