mini firewall

M

MCNC

Building the standard mini scout. using a v-spec 1808 2400 kv. The shrink is stiff coming out of the motor. Need advice on how best to route the wires into the pod.

Attachments

• 20191022_051359-1.jpg
    20191022_051359-1.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

Arcfyre

Elite member
I run into that same issue with the mini pods. I've pretty much given up trying to route the wires through the firewall. As the power pod is open on the top, I just run the wires over the firewall and into the pod on the open side. Not gorgeous, but it works.

20191020_135611.jpg

M

MCNC

Good info thanks, on the scout there is not much room there either, even then it feels like I need to bend in the middle of the shrink, just wondering if those wires / connections can tolerate much manipulation.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Good info thanks, on the scout there is not much room there either, even then it feels like I need to bend in the middle of the shrink, just wondering if those wires / connections can tolerate much manipulation.
They will to a point. I usually go for a happy medium and widen the hole just enough to get the wires to go through without ripping them out of the solder. A little slice with a hobby knife along the grain at the bottom of the hole, a little clip with some wire cutters along the side of the hole, and done.

whackflyer

Master member
Just cut a small hole on the bottom of the pod, directly behind the firewall, just big enough for the wires to go through. Doesn't affect the pod strength and doesn't stress your wires and solder joints!

M

MCNC

Thanks for your help, was not sure if I was making something out of nothing, but I see you have dealt with this issue and not just forced a 90 bend in the harness which is what I was tempted to do.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Thanks for your help, was not sure if I was making something out of nothing, but I see you have dealt with this issue and not just forced a 90 bend in the harness which is what I was tempted to do.
I've done that too. Lots. The motor sits flush to the firewall and wires have to get through it. We alleviate the stress on the wires, when possible. Sometimes it's just fold the suckers over and push them through. :)

FDS

Elite member
@MacClarkNC I run those motors, I just split the heat shrink on the inside edge and then run it through the notch in the firewall. All my minis in the fleet have that set up and it’s not caused any issues despite multiple crashes and new power pods.

FDS

Elite member
I run 30A esc’s in everything. I just buy in bulk, we can’t get small sized fixed wing ESC’s here so the difference between 20 and 30a ones in size is nil. I always want at least 5A headroom.
Its no problem when the battery goes under the power pod, I haven’t had any balance issues.

M

MCNC

Looks like a lot of right thrust coming out of the angle on my mini pod, looked built to my printed template Specs. Thoughts? I know the prop ccw blade angle may exaggerate the photos a bit?

Attachments

• 20191102_134508.jpg
    20191102_134508.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Your right thrust angle is perfect, better have more then not enough. If you decide to go up to the F pack on the Mini Scout like I did it will be just fine... and the F pack has a 20 amp ESC and the fit and balance was on point.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Your right thrust angle is perfect, better have more then not enough. If you decide to go up to the F pack on the Mini Scout like I did it will be just fine... and the F pack has a 20 amp ESC and the fit and balance was on point.
I second this - I had the same experience.