Mini FliteFest New England April 2016 Edition

HilldaFlyer

New Wing

Just finished a new wing to replace the one that died in the Bloody Baron Bash (combat). Reused all the hardware and vertical stabilizers.

Looking back, the wing that died was one of the first Balanced Pusher Wings I built, and it had been crashed and repaired at least 3 times before its final flight. This wing was de-papered (Readi-Board) and skinned on the outside with 0.73oz fiberglass. It weighs in at 14.1 oz (400g) without the battery. Just for reference, the previous wing skinned on one side with 1.43oz fiberglass weighs 16.1 oz (456g). So it is 2oz (56g) lighter - Don't know if this will show an enhancement in performance, but it is lighter. I didn't think it would affect the CG, but I had to move the battery back almost 2cm to get it balance. Even then it is a bit nose heavy. Can't move the battery back any further because it is against the spar.

LkXp6Pf7-IkM_nj336QScTyilzdo5UsnjcAQhjogL15VUiIJXedbuu6LmdWzKwM9jTYNOvjeZLU0vk2QDqSqw3AaC5M6vk_PAH2Mcipbo1fVzn7_Tyt4ynKX2CpYaa-6QgXHf4tU

a-m7hvzhoQf8xJHlVJIqelHdJTQ3PPt0vtirhwP_9VAt-Tu9OVWkOJr9SDXjYOoNMwzlW3IsyGLNHg2HAUzS1sQzKqiQwOalGL_lnuGD4bn3h1fTTUahLoM6KW_MXRCEeAT1asQE

Geezah

Lets do this again, it seems that you are as close as we will get to a mid point for the NE area unless there is someone from coastal New Hampshire lurking here in the forums. Another newby lives within 50 miles of me (Maine close) so maybe we could carpool it.
Regional get togethers would be a great way to strengthen the Flite Test on-line family.
IF I am able, count me in for a warm day.
I love what John Rambozo has done designing and building. Lots of super talented people here at FT, it would be great to pick their brains in person.

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
Lets do this again, it seems that you are as close as we will get to a mid point for the NE area unless there is someone from coastal New Hampshire lurking here in the forums. Another newby lives within 50 miles of me (Maine close) so maybe we could carpool it.
Regional get togethers would be a great way to strengthen the Flite Test on-line family.
IF I am able, count me in for a warm day.
I love what John Rambozo has done designing and building. Lots of super talented people here at FT, it would be great to pick their brains in person.

Awesome replacement wing, David. I missed that post and it seems the thread has gone quiet.

And Hi Geezah. If ever we can all arrange another day like that, I'd love to join in the fun.

HilldaFlyer

Having another one has been on my mind. I'd love to do it again and I'm willing to host again.

I should add that the last one caused quite a stir among the club officers trying to enforce an unwritten rule of one visit limit. I think the club officers were just a bit miffed that a cool event was held without being informed. That being said, after carefully reviewing the bylaws and rules, as long as we don't say we are "potential members", then we are good. I think in the future I will let the officers know so the aren't left out of the loop.

I think our MiniFFNE spawned a good thing... it got members thinking of ways the club should coming up with neat ways to involve club members. I can say that our MiniFFNE was one of the better gatherings I have seen. The only thing I think we should avoid, or rather, acknowledge is that members should come first. If we plan a day when many club members also want to fly, the feeling of being invaded might prevail. With leadership knowledge and planning, I think we can dispel such feelings.

So - when is the next date?

I have material for you to make a CapCam Clip for your phone.

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
Having another one has been on my mind. I'd love to do it again and I'm willing to host again.

I should add that the last one caused quite a stir among the club officers trying to enforce an unwritten rule of one visit limit. I think the club officers were just a bit miffed that a cool event was held without being informed. That being said, after carefully reviewing the bylaws and rules, as long as we don't say we are "potential members", then we are good. I think in the future I will let the officers know so the aren't left out of the loop.

I think our MiniFFNE spawned a good thing... it got members thinking of ways the club should coming up with neat ways to involve club members. I can say that our MiniFFNE was one of the better gatherings I have seen. The only thing I think we should avoid, or rather, acknowledge is that members should come first. If we plan a day when many club members also want to fly, the feeling of being invaded might prevail. With leadership knowledge and planning, I think we can dispel such feelings.

So - when is the next date?

I have material for you to make a CapCam Clip for your phone.

That's great that it encouraged some discussion.

If they really got organized they could invite the general public to check it out. That kind of thing made a big impression on me as a kid. Of course you'd have to set very strict limits for public access vs. pilot and flying areas. I doubt there would be a huge turnout but a few interested people would get to watch some r/c planes fly. Maybe another combat. That's like the demolition derby of the air. That's a unique and exciting experience for sure.

I do need a capcam phone clip... Then I'll have to get a cap. Thanks for thinking of me, David.

adamooo

Another Massachusetts flyer (Acton/Sudbury) registering interest in a summer fly. Looks like you all had fun - keep the thread up to date if you decide to do it again?

Also, if appropriate, check out the "FT Eastern MA" group on FTGroups.com... and we'll see you online or at the field!

Thanks,
Adam

HilldaFlyer

Mini FF 2016 Fall Edition

Hey New England flyers.
Do you want another meetup?
Oct 8, 22 or 29 are open for me and Holden Field (where we did it last time).
Send emails to get everyone included. Feel free to email me through the forum and I'll get everyone in a distribution list.

HilldaFlyer

I've had one who can only meet on the 29th, so I thought I'd hang out and see if there was more interest.
It's getting colder... got to go soon.