MINI Foam Board Messerschmitt BF-109

synjin

Elite member
I think I did about an inch and a half for the dihedral. Hope that works. I take it that the aileron servo is under the wing/belly of the plane? I cut one the other night and got the fuselage and wing together.

jsportser

I think I did about an inch and a half for the dihedral. Hope that works. I take it that the aileron servo is under the wing/belly of the plane? I cut one the other night and got the fuselage and wing together.
Yeah, I think an inch and half will work. Just wondering, were you able to put the mini power pod in it?

synjin

Elite member
I haven't tried putting in the mini power pod yet. I've had to do work work and not hobby work. Keep walking by the 109 wanting to fiddle with it while it regards me reproachfully. Looked on Amazon and got a couple of 1408 3600Kv motors to try out. They should be here next week.

synjin

Elite member
Finally done. Going to throw it up in the air tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get pictures...maybe video (found my ancient MiniDV CamCorder...still works). I put a skid on the bottom to protect the aileron servo.

Attachments

• ME 109 Skid.jpg
    ME 109 Skid.jpg
    889.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ME109.jpg
    ME109.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

synjin

Elite member
Finally maidened mine tonight. Alaska twilight encouraged me to throw it up for a fly. It’s really fast with the 1408 3600Kv motor and 2S 500maH battery with a 4x4.5x3 prop on full throttle. It was pretty easy to fly at 1/3 throttle, and I even managed to land it. It’s glide isn’t great with no power. Going to give it another go tomorrow.

mayan

Legendary member
Wow happy to hear about your successful maiden. Waiting on a video when you get a chance.

synjin

Elite member
No video of the mini Bf-109 yet, but I just got a head harness that works with my phone so I can shoot some not great video. I was out flying the Bf-109 this morning, and was able to burn through two batteries without destroying it on landings. I probably shouldn’t have painted it with Intermediate Blue on the bottom and a color similar to Panzer Gray on the top ( it’s that dark Krylon camo green ). It was hard to see against the slight overcast, even with a yellow nose. But, those were the rattle cans I had on hand. It is pretty darn zippy, although the motor I got is a little temperamental. It can’t seem to decide whether to start spinning when I first throttle up. Once you get the plane flying it’s fun!

synjin

Elite member
I know you’ve moved on from a this plane, but I still like it. This is my new build. I redesigned the tail to make it a little more like the tail on the actual Bf-109. Not sure it’s quite there yet. The elevator may need to go up another 1/2in.

I flew it this evening for the first time, and after getting it trimmed out it flies nicely. I’m going to have to dial down the throws on the ailerons. With them going the length of the wing they have a lot of authority. It was a little twitchy at first, but after I got used to it I could confidently do close to the ground maneuvers.
DA4359F6-6534-4122-87FD-124EDAE23697.jpeg
5B201D94-11A3-469B-AE6C-C6806B71BF00.jpeg

Last edited:

synjin

Elite member
I just put the plan into Inkscape and it look like you could just print it full size on A2. I'm limited to US Letter, so I have to tile it to four sheets.

I altered the tail of these plans a little to lift the horizontal stabilizer up so it's more like the full sized Bf-109. I'll attach my file.

Was thinking of scaling this plan up to a 30 inch wingspan (762mm), that way I could use either 1806 or 2205 motors.

Attachments

• Bf-109 Tail.pdf
    10.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

BeanFlyer

I just put the plan into Inkscape and it look like you could just print it full size on A2. I'm limited to US Letter, so I have to tile it to four sheets.

I altered the tail of these plans a little to lift the horizontal stabilizer up so it's more like the full sized Bf-109. I'll attach my file.

Was thinking of scaling this plan up to a 30 inch wingspan (762mm), that way I could use either 1806 or 2205 motors.
ok thanks, just downloaded Acrobat and tiled it into A4 plans. The assembly of the plan was a little headache because my printer had the glorious idea of deleting half a centimeter of every part, so i needed to draw the missing lines... but now i have a wonderful A2 Sheet of paper with one of the best looking planes of ww2

(but i still have one problem, what power pod did you guys use? mighty mini or the regular one? And because the wings are only one sheet of foamboard they might be a little flimsy when glued together, how could i increase the rigidity?)

Last edited: