Mini FT Flyer

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
Officially declaring Mini Flyer #3 lost. It's been stuck in a tree for a little over a month now, so time to remove it from the "flying" list. My "crashed" list really is getting long...
Been working on something to get a quad out of a tree. Put a bunch of pvc together and an aio fpv cam on the end with a hook. The quad is deep in a 30ft cyprus tree so well see... Anyways good luck on gettin it down.

Flyingshark

Master member
Been working on something to get a quad out of a tree. Put a bunch of pvc together and an aio fpv cam on the end with a hook. The quad is deep in a 30ft cyprus tree so well see... Anyways good luck on gettin it down.
Thanks, a really long stick is kinda what I need. It just ran into the edge of the tree, so it's not too buried, but a month of wind hasn't gotten it down either. Hope you can get your quad down too!

joelspangler

Planes, like birds like to roost. I have found an arborist throwing weight is the best tool to chase them back out. I wound up buying arborist line too.. i originally tried paracord, but it gets stuck in bark - where the arborist line just slips over branches. The way to use it is to toss the weight (with line attached) over the branch the plane is stuck on. Let the weight drag the line down to the ground and hold both ends of the rope while pulling down and shaking the branch. Usually doesn't take more than a few minutes to drop it down.

Last edited:

Flyingshark

Master member
Today I maidened my fourth one of these. I used coffee stirrers as pushrod guides, so the control response was better than the other ones. I actually had to dial back the rates on the transmitter to make it harder to overcontrol while I figured out the CG. Anyway, I put 3 batteries through it and there was no damage in the end, so I'm working on a new version of the plans with the changes I made. By the way, if anyone was wondering, the one that got stuck in a tree came out a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Battery800

Elite member
@Flyingshark I feel like this should be 5mm taller
image.jpg
image.jpg

Flyingshark

Master member
Just finished the build on one of these. Great design and easy build! This is my first scratch build other than a chuck glider. There are definitely some skills I need to work on!

I hope to maiden her at the KSU indoor fly this weekend. View attachment 217679 View attachment 217680
Wow, that looks super clean! The plywood on the servos seems like a great idea. I doubt the rubber band would do much harm if it snapped forward, but better safe than sorry. Hope the maiden goes well! :)